Super Contributor

HAVE YOU ALWAYS USED YOUR FACIAL SKIN CARE ON YOUR NECK/THROAT AREA?

Hello sister beauty divas. With pretty much every skin care company coming out with products specifically designed for the neck/throat area, all the advertising/sales pitches seem to put forth the same conclusion.  They all say that women who have taken great care of their faces have stopped that skin care at their chins which is why their necks may look way older than their faces.  The thing is, I don't think that is necessarily true.  It also comes across to me as a subtle, and sometimes not so subtle, way of suggesting women feel guilty about neglecting the skin on their necks.

After hearing this over and over I have to say that, at least in my case, I've always treated my throat area exactly the same as my face when it comes to skin care.  Any cleanser, mask, scrub, serum, or cream has always been extended to my neck.

How about you?  Have you always done this or not?  Do you agree with these skin care companies? I personally find it hard to believe that there aren't a lot of women like me whose skin care routines have always included their necks.  If not, do you think it makes a big difference in how the skin on a woman's neck looks?

Look forward to reading your responses.

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: HAVE YOU ALWAYS USED YOUR FACIAL SKIN CARE ON YOUR NECK/THROAT AREA?

Part of the message I have gotten from the 'skincare' presentations -- the skin on your neck is 'different' than the skin on your face, so you should use a different set of products for that area.  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't -- but it's something they drill into us during the presentation for sure.

I know women in their 80's who do nothing but wash their faces and yes their necks with Dove -- they have beautiful skin.

I have tried all kinds of products over the years - from expensive to inexpensive - my skin isn't all that great, if you ask me.

Most of us have that LARGE drawer of 'BROKEN PROMISES' and I don't believe it will change, if we continue to ride with the daily hype. IMOSmiley Indifferent

Honored Contributor

Don't confuse truth with a sales pitch.

Super Contributor

I use a richer cream on my neck than my face because my facial skin is combo. Richer creams cause problems on my face like breakouts. Neck creams don't have to be expensive. Gold Bond now makes a very decent one at a drugstore price.

Honored Contributor

I don't need much moisturizer on my face, except around eye area.  My combo skin takes care of the need for added moisture.

So, I do use something a little heaver on my neck ~ my eye cream.  Always have.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Yes, I've always brought all my skincare down to my neck and chest and even the back of my hands (what is left over).

I honestly don't think alot of women do apply skincare to their neck and chest until later on when they start to see a difference in that skin, especially compared to their facial skin. IMO, most don't do it as a preventative, like we tend to do for our facial skin.

Honored Contributor

@ChazzyLady   I have always treated my neck and Chest area the same as my face...even the back of my neck.  I use sunscreen 365 days a year as well.  I see a lot of ugly necks out there....do not want to look like them!  At 60 I am looking pretty good.

Trusted Contributor

I have treated my neck and back of hands for as long as I have treated my face.  

In the last few years there have been some neck creams which have been added in here and there.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes. Also my hands. The neck, jawline, chest and hands will show your age instantly. 

It's amazing how many people (men and women) will do all this work to keep their FACE looking younger but ignore these other areas. It becomes almost freakish looking to have a tight, smooth face with lined/sagging/veiny neck/chest/hands.

I WILL say this: I go through creams much faster when doing my check and neck area just because of the amount of area being covered vs my face. I use Prai for my neck and chest and am on auto ship for the BIG jar. Once I found this product, I switched to using it instead of using up my normal face cream. Also, I use all the samples I get from beauty events on my neck and chest as my face is sensitive; my neck and chest- not so much. This way, I save on my Prai cream and don't waste the samples.

They also work well on my feet.

Super Contributor

Thanks @3suwm5, @chrystaltree, @NeNe1010, @Drythe,. @HappyDaze, and @SeaMaiden for your thoughtful responses.  I really appreciate all of the insights and information I get here.

I'm trying to be as smart as I can when it comes to how much money I budget for skin care.  I'm sure we've all gotten excited about a new skin care trend and were left less than satisfied by the results or lack thereof.

I recently received a couple of free samples of Skinn Cosmetics' Neck Amour Neck Mask with a recent order and, of course I intend to use it.  Love my Skinn Cosmetics BTW. That got me to thinking about adding neck products to my routine.  I really don't have any major issues with the skin on my neck except the beginnings of a small amount of loss of firmness right in the top center of my neck, but I like to be proactive so will probably try products that address that concern.

@HappyDaze and @SeaMaiden wow you two were definitely ahead of the curve by also addressing your chest area.

I just want to be careful when I see just about all the skin care companies saying the same thing.

Hey @3suwm5 I know how you feel since I have dry, sensitive, reactive skin and been let down by a lot of products. Sometimes it takes a while to put together the right routine for you.  Don't give up.