Respected Contributor

Growing out a pixie haircut..

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to grow out a pixie style? I keep trimming the ends but am getting nowhere. I want my chin length, layered hair style back and it seems like it is taking forever. Should I just stop regular trims and space them out at 6 months apart? TIA..

Honored Contributor

Re: Growing out a pixie haircut..

I'd keep trimming the ends. As frustrating as waiting is, I find it more painful to have a bad, shaggy grow-out.
Esteemed Contributor

I never understood that if you are trying to grow out hair, why would you keep trimming?

If I want my hair to grow, I dispense with any trimming and live with the grow out. After you get the length you want, it is easy for them to cut the style you want.

Esteemed Contributor

I usually wear my hair a bit longer than a pixie cut, but can relate to your situation because I'm growing out my short cut because my stylist kept using those texturizing scissors on my wavy/culy hair, which made my hair go bonkers.

I'm trimming my bangs every 3-4 weeks and have actually worked with my husband in learning how to trim the back a bit - just a bit - and he's doing OK. Every time I asked my stylist to take off a bit, she took off 3/4."

When I posted here about my plight with those darn texturing scissors, one of the posters suggested letting my hair grow to just above shoulder length, so that comment actually has me going in that direction!

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

On 3/13/2015 Harpa said:

I never understood that if you are trying to grow out hair, why would you keep trimming?

If I want my hair to grow, I dispense with any trimming and live with the grow out. After you get the length you want, it is easy for them to cut the style you want.

Harpa, I was told to keep trimming the ends because if you have any splits, they can continue to split up into the new growth...

This may very well be a myth.

Respected Contributor

On 3/13/2015 sfnative said:

I usually wear my hair a bit longer than a pixie cut, but can relate to your situation because I'm growing out my short cut because my stylist kept using those texturizing scissors on my wavy/culy hair, which made my hair go bonkers.

I'm trimming my bangs every 3-4 weeks and have actually worked with my husband in learning how to trim the back a bit - just a bit - and he's doing OK. Every time I asked my stylist to take off a bit, she took off 3/4."

When I posted here about my plight with those darn texturing scissors, one of the posters suggested letting my hair grow to just above shoulder length, so that comment actually has me going in that direction!

Good luck!

I think your husband trimming your hair sounds great! My husband keeps telling me the reason I am getting nowhere is that they are trimming too much and just want me back there in 6 weeks.

Thanks for the post.Smile

Respected Contributor

I went from pixie to chin length in ~ 6 months. I got it trimmed every 2 months or so to reshape it so that it looked like a style of longer layers instead of a mess. Now, it's all one length.

Frequent Contributor

I started growing mine out from a very short layered pixie in May and now I have an almost chin length bob but with subtle layers in it but it is still slightly longer in the back so I have to keep getting it trimmed it doesn't look like a mullett!! I loved it very short but it takes too much upkeep to go every 4 or 5 weeks for a trim.

Super Contributor

loved my inverted bob,,,,then hair started serious thinning. growing it back into a bob,,,,taking a while, but honestly think it looks a bit better. Used to wear hats a lot, but with inverted bob,,,not enough hair 'behind'. never did I ever think these stupid kind of problems would occur with aging. It's everywhere!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/13/2015 SoftRaindrops said:
On 3/13/2015 Harpa said:

Harpa, I was told to keep trimming the ends because if you have any splits, they can continue to split up into the new growth...

This may very well be a myth.

Oh, about the splits. Yes, I would trim those, but what are you doing to your hair that is making it split?