Honored Contributor

Mine started out as a grey streak across the right front when I was in my mid 20's - so I colored it. At age 34 I had chemo and lost all my hair - when it grew back I was about 50% grey and afraid to color it as it seemed so delicate. So I have had grey hair since age 34. Now at 66 it is about 95% white - just a few light brown hairs in there, and it gets whiter all the time.I am fortunate to have been a natural redhead (dark auburn) and like most redheads - when their hair turns grey it is a pretty pure white.Since no one in our house smokes or anything I have never had any issues with my hair looking yellow.I just wash it with Pert shampoo.

My Dad left for WW11 a redhead and when he returned he was almost totally grey. I guess war can do that to someone.

Super Contributor

Have you tried Jhirmak silver shampoo and other products for gray hair?

Clairol had a Shimmer Lights line - don't know if they still make it.

Honored Contributor
On 2/16/2015 northernlights said:

KatCat, this sounds like a very interesting shampoo. I have a lot of gray in my hair now, so this would be something that I would like to try. My natural hair color is also dark blonde, too. I am also "salt and pepper," too.

northernlights, Shikai really made my hair color look beautiful. You won't be disappointed. Plus it is creamy and moisturizing.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Thank you again, KatCat. You have made it sound even more appealing! Now I am even more intrigued. Smile I have been looking for a new shampoo to try.

Super Contributor
On 2/17/2015 happy housewife said:

Mine started out as a grey streak across the right front when I was in my mid 20's - so I colored it. At age 34 I had chemo and lost all my hair - when it grew back I was about 50% grey and afraid to color it as it seemed so delicate. So I have had grey hair since age 34. Now at 66 it is about 95% white - just a few light brown hairs in there, and it gets whiter all the time.I am fortunate to have been a natural redhead (dark auburn) and like most redheads - when their hair turns grey it is a pretty pure white.Since no one in our house smokes or anything I have never had any issues with my hair looking yellow.I just wash it with Pert shampoo.

My Dad left for WW11 a redhead and when he returned he was almost totally grey. I guess war can do that to someone.

Wow, happy housewife.....reminds me of the pictures I've seen of many Presidents before and after their presidency--how it ages them.

Super Contributor

I have silver hair - very little pepper left! I use Roux Fanci-full rinses that I buy at Sally's. They are not that expensive and they give my hair some depth that it lacks being so white. I get compliments all the time.

Regular Contributor

So many great responses,think I might try all....Thanks again ladies.....

Trusted Contributor
On 2/16/2015 KatCat1 said:

I have salt & pepper hair (more salt on top) and I use Shikai Color Reflect platinum shampoo. Light-reflective plant-based. Brings out cool tones in blonde, silver and platinum hair. It minimizes yellow in your hair. It's under $10 and I bought it at iherb.com. Spend $20 & get free shipping. They have a lot of good brands to choose from. I was using Aveda's but I actually like this much better.

For Amazon Prime users, they have a 2 pack for $16.71 with free 2 day shipping. You can also get one tube at $7.84 plus 99 cent shipping.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor
On 2/17/2015 lucylover64 said:
On 2/17/2015 happy housewife said:

Wow, happy housewife.....reminds me of the pictures I've seen of many Presidents before and after their presidency--how it ages them.

I know - the current president is a good example of that.

Frequent Contributor
At 49 I decided to stop coloring my hair (the "going gray gracefully" website was a big help in my transition) in reality I needed to color every 2 - 3 weeks instead of the 6 - 8 weeks I was having done. It took a year to grow out all my colored hair. I'm salt & pepper, with my salt being silver. My hair stylist recommended the shimmering lights someone above had mentioned or AG's sterling silver (I couldn't find the shimmering lights). I use AG's shampoo once a week, I purchase it from Ulta when they have their large bottles on sale for $15. I use WEN CC's and I now only have to wash my hair twice a week (down from 3 - 4 times pre-WEN). I incorporate the AG in-between one wash a week, WEN 1st wash - AG - then WEN 2nd wash. Chaz said gray hair should use tea tree but didn't say why, I had emailed Chaz's website to ask why and if he would ever come out with a CC specifically for gray hair, I never received a reply. I use a mix of CC's (tea tree is always used no matter what mix I'm using) but I have found that any of his CC's that are yellowish (like his 6 13) and any oils that are not clear will turn my silver yellowish; I have a few bottles of 6 13 from one of his TSV's still and none of my family or friends use WEN so instead of wasting I use them once every month and a half.