Honored Contributor

Re: Gray Hair Model (Cheryl)

@151949 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I chose to quit coloring my hair at age 57. The expense to color, the toxic chemicals used to color...the time I spent coloring are just a few reasons why I chose to stop coloring.  Now 60, I love my white hair. It is healthy, shiny, and not damaged from all  the chemicals in the color. Most woman who chose to stop or to not color are happy in their own skin. And you are a fool if you think coloring your hair makes people think you are younger.  

@SeaMaiden, is going gray part of the aging process? Of course the answer is yes, excluding any outliers. So just going by that biological fact, yes, gray hair is a sign of advanced maturity. :-) And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I just choose continue to keep my hair the color it was when I was young.

Some people have grey hair very young - mine started to turn white at age 25 -- it is certainly NOT caused by aging - it is caused by genetics.

I made a big point of saying earlier that of course there are outliers (people who go gray prematurely or for other reasons). And I'm sure that we could find a few oldsters who never go gray. But they would a small minority.

That in no way distracts from the FACT that gray hair is one effect of the aging process. To deny that is just silly and contrary to what so many women say about embracing their age by going gray.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@cef001 wrote:

So, I gave it time to read all the posts referring to this topic and what I came across is, the women with gray hair are making excuses not to color it. My mom is eighty, I can't imagine her gray. Her hair is a light brown with warm highlights. People think she is much younger than she is. But I bet if she went gray she would look eighty. And for all the gray ladies on here, why bother using skincare that helps with wrinkles. What is the point right? And I never heard a woman say I want to look my age or older. I am 46 just starting to grey and it will be a cold day in hell before I throw in the towel and succumb to grey.     

You know, I always try to read a post to which I want to respond a few times so that I'm sure that I have understood the words and even the subtext, if there is one.

As a person who will have horrible, deadly, toxic hair color :-) applied to my roots until I am too feeble to give a darn, I think your post is unnecessarily inflammatory and also rude to those who have decided to go gray.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I cannot think who Cheryl is.  

Could someone post a photo?

I can only think of Helen.

Jean

Honored Contributor

@cef001 wrote:

I know I am going to hear it from some but I don't care. I have been wanting to say this for the longest time.  The older model that does beauty and hair shows, I believe her name is Cheryl, please, please color your hair a pretty rich brown. You are so attractive, you have beautiful skin. You will look at least 20 years younger! I really do not understand why these older models do not color their hair. It is the first thing a stylist does in a makeover, is color the hair.  

Well, you're right. You are going to hear it from some... Someone like me.

MYOB.  Your comments are rude.  I would hope you never have the nerve or gall to say something like that to someone in person.

Please have the decency not to write comments like that on a public forum.  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I chose to quit coloring my hair at age 57. The expense to color, the toxic chemicals used to color...the time I spent coloring are just a few reasons why I chose to stop coloring.  Now 60, I love my white hair. It is healthy, shiny, and not damaged from all  the chemicals in the color. Most woman who chose to stop or to not color are happy in their own skin. And you are a fool if you think coloring your hair makes people think you are younger.  

@SeaMaiden, is going gray part of the aging process? Of course the answer is yes, excluding any outliers. So just going by that biological fact, yes, gray hair is a sign of advanced maturity. :-) And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I just choose continue to keep my hair the color it was when I was young.

Some people have grey hair very young - mine started to turn white at age 25 -- it is certainly NOT caused by aging - it is caused by genetics.

I made a big point of saying earlier that of course there are outliers (people who go gray prematurely or for other reasons). And I'm sure that we could find a few oldsters who never go gray. But they would a small minority.

That in no way distracts from the FACT that gray hair is one effect of the aging process. To deny that is just silly and contrary to what so many women say about embracing their age by going gray.

Clearly the actual FACT that many people start turning grey at early ages like 20's disproves your claim because they are certainly not aging at 25 years old. Many people grey early - it isn't all that unusual.

Honored Contributor

Considering natural grey? Recommend Facebook along with Youtube. When I decided to go grey 4 years ago found a wonderful sisterhood. Even meet and greets traveling together. Greycafe one such group. Disheartening reading such vile comments from women speaking of women. That's more important than the color of ones hair.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cef001 wrote:

So, I gave it time to read all the posts referring to this topic and what I came across is, the women with gray hair are making excuses not to color it. My mom is eighty, I can't imagine her gray. Her hair is a light brown with warm highlights. People think she is much younger than she is. But I bet if she went gray she would look eighty. And for all the gray ladies on here, why bother using skincare that helps with wrinkles. What is the point right? And I never heard a woman say I want to look my age or older. I am 46 just starting to grey and it will be a cold day in hell before I throw in the towel and succumb to grey.     

@cef001 ... here i am.  i am 67.  i prefer looking my age.  i do not use skincare products for the purpose of removing wrinkles or improving sagging skiin ...i have grey hair, and i think i look pretty dang good. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I wouldn't stoop so low as to call you a fool like you did, but you are certainly fooling yourself if you don't think a head full of gray ages someone.  It may be pretty, it might be in great shape and they may love it but no doubt, it's aging.

This is your OPINION only and that certainly does not make it a FACT. Some  people on this board seem to have difficulty distuinguishing the difference between opinion & fact.

Pot meet kettle. Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

Many philosophers believe that "aging" starts at the moment of birth.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@cef001 wrote:

I know I am going to hear it from some but I don't care. I have been wanting to say this for the longest time.  The older model that does beauty and hair shows, I believe her name is Cheryl, please, please color your hair a pretty rich brown. You are so attractive, you have beautiful skin. You will look at least 20 years younger! I really do not understand why these older models do not color their hair. It is the first thing a stylist does in a makeover, is color the hair.  

Well, you're right. You are going to hear it from some... Someone like me.

MYOB.  Your comments are rude.  I would hope you never have the nerve or gall to say something like that to someone in person.

Please have the decency not to write comments like that on a public forum.  

Well, I agree with you, @Carmie, and I noticed that THIS Opening Post is very insensitive to say the least.

But then again, I re-read it, and saw the OP "I really do not understand".  The OP  clearly does NOT understand. She does not understand "WHY".  So I left it at that.  While knowing, this post WILL provoke a quarrel and heated opinions on both sides of looking at women's aging and greying hair issue.

And of course - it did! Even to the point that some posters felt free to directly insult other posters for their opposite opinion on a subject. All this because the OP - does not understand.... 

There is nothing really there to understand - just let the others be, feel as they feel, and do as they feel fit for themselves.