Trusted Contributor

Re: Gray Hair Model (Cheryl)

This model of whom you speak is about 65+ years of age and I would imagine she did her fair share of coloring her hair through those many years - maybe she just wants to simplify her life a little.  Yes, perhaps coloring would make her appear younger but she seems content. 

As someone here suggested, maybe the grey hair makes her more employable.

Respected Contributor

@cef001 wrote:

So, I gave it time to read all the posts referring to this topic and what I came across is, the women with gray hair are making excuses not to color it. My mom is eighty, I can't imagine her gray. Her hair is a light brown with warm highlights. People think she is much younger than she is. But I bet if she went gray she would look eighty. And for all the gray ladies on here, why bother using skincare that helps with wrinkles. What is the point right? And I never heard a woman say I want to look my age or older. I am 46 just starting to grey and it will be a cold day in hell before I throw in the towel and succumb to grey.     

@cef001Trust me, I am NOT making excuses not to color my hair...no, I didn't like the expense, the time, or the damage it was doing to my hair. BUT, if I had been unhappy with the way my hair looked after all the color had grown out, I would have been at the salon getting it colored asap!

Skincare is not the same as hair color. The right skincare contributes to the health of one's skin, not just the way the skin looks. Hair color, if you use it, often damages hair over time.

I don't care who does or doesn't color their hair. I'm happy with what I see in the mirror! And that's all that counts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I chose to quit coloring my hair at age 57. The expense to color, the toxic chemicals used to color...the time I spent coloring are just a few reasons why I chose to stop coloring.  Now 60, I love my white hair. It is healthy, shiny, and not damaged from all  the chemicals in the color. Most woman who chose to stop or to not color are happy in their own skin. And you are a fool if you think coloring your hair makes people think you are younger.  

I wouldn't stoop so low as to call you a fool like you did, but you are certainly fooling yourself if you don't think a head full of gray ages someone.  It may be pretty, it might be in great shape and they may love it but no doubt, it's aging.

Super Contributor

My mother is 65 and colors her hair very close to her natural blonde. She has beautiful skin and looks lovely. She still works full-time as a nurse, goes out with friends, travels around the world, exercises, etc. so it makes sense for her to look as youthful as she can. 60's are really not considered "old" anymore and there is no reason why a woman in her 50's and 60's should give up coloring their hair if it suits them. And as far as women going prematurely gray, in my opinion, it ages them and is not a good look. One of the admin. assistants at my work has beautiful shiny silver-gray hair. It really is pretty hair...but she is only 40 years old and looks much older. We were all shocked when we found out how old she was, as most people thought she was at least 10 years older.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

The thing is -- why do people think they have the right to color as much or for as long as they want to without comment - but those who chose to go natural do not, in fact have that same right to do what we want? Colored hair does not always look good - it is often damaged and straw like or the color can be totally wrong for the person's complexion, but only those who chose to go natural are supposed to just sit back and take on all the very very rude, mean comments.

I'm quite certain you've had some very unflattering things to say about people who color their hair. 

Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

I would love to hear how ladies with grey hair keep it pretty, I can't afford to go to the hairdresser so I would love to know what products people are using.

My hair is pure white (I was a natural red head and red usually does go white , not grey) I do not put any color , I do not get perms, I do not smoke or live with anyone who smokes, I do not use any special blue shampoos or rinses except once a month when I get a haircut the stylist does use a blue shampoo, but i am careful not to use any shampoo that has yellow or red dye in it as your hair will take up that color. I use Pert shampoo & conditioner - cheap grocery store brand. My hair is soft, shiny and healthy. I NEVER put product on my hair. if it blows in the wind I simply run my fingers thru it to put it back in place. the only thing I do for my hair is wash it daily, blow it dry and finger comb it and get a very good cut - it's all about the very good cut for me. And get it trimmed every 4 weeks. the secret to keeping grey hair soft & shiny and not yellow is to keep it healthy and keep chemicals away from it. Also keep cigarette smoke away from it.

Honored Contributor

You need to keep heat tools away from gray as well.  Blowdrying and flat ironing or a curling iron will also cause it to yellow.

Honored Contributor

I have only read the first post (don't know the model Cheryl) and a few of the last posts. I let my hair go gray in my sixties. I like it. I do keep up with my skin care. Only 2 products.

I keep my hair short. I don't care for long hair on older people. Just my opinion and it doesn't bother me that most people don't want gray hair. Everyone is different and I like that.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

You need to keep heat tools away from gray as well.  Blowdrying and flat ironing or a curling iron will also cause it to yellow.

I blow dry my white hair with a round brush blow dryer every day - sometimes more than once a day and this has never happened . In my experience it is mostly from either cigarette smoke or dyes put in products used on ones hair.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I chose to quit coloring my hair at age 57. The expense to color, the toxic chemicals used to color...the time I spent coloring are just a few reasons why I chose to stop coloring.  Now 60, I love my white hair. It is healthy, shiny, and not damaged from all  the chemicals in the color. Most woman who chose to stop or to not color are happy in their own skin. And you are a fool if you think coloring your hair makes people think you are younger.  

I wouldn't stoop so low as to call you a fool like you did, but you are certainly fooling yourself if you don't think a head full of gray ages someone.  It may be pretty, it might be in great shape and they may love it but no doubt, it's aging.

This is your OPINION only and that certainly does not make it a FACT. Some  people on this board seem to have difficulty distuinguishing the difference between opinion & fact.