Valued Contributor

Re: Gray Hair Model (Cheryl)

Women wear their natural hair for many reasons. I wear my naturally silver hair because brown is a totally unrealistic hair color for a woman on the north side of 65. Most of my friends are now blond and children comment that most grandmas are blond. I am ok to not be like most and like my hair.  I would look younger because I have few lines on my face but I am perfectly ok to look my age.  I like the way I look and I do not expose my skin to chemicals so my hair will stay silver and that's ok.

Honored Contributor

just some ideas.................

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Honored Contributor

@coco14 wrote:

Isn't it wonderful how supportive women are of each other?  They don't critcize how someone dresses, wears or doesn't wear makeup, colors or doesn't color their hair, uses nailpolish or doesn't,   etc etc.

WHEN does this nonsense end?

@coco14 I always though that silliness ended as we became adults but sadly, it does not.

Honored Contributor

My mom has beautiful gray/silver hair and she gets compliments on it all the time. It is silky and shiny and a very unique color. I wouldn't change it for anything and it compliments her beautiful skin perfectly. She is one of the most beautiful women I know and not just because she is my mom.

I wonder why it bothers some people what others choose for themselves? Maybe the model doesn't care to look 20 years younger. Not every woman cares about chasing the fountain of youth or looking younger than they really are. I think it speaks to their ability to feel comfortable in their own skin (and hair, lol) and that is all that really matters in the big scheme of things.

Valued Contributor

I'm 62 and have coloring my hair since about 40. I do it myself and use Preferance Medium Golden Brown. My hair colors very dark and it does not look particularly natural but I cannot bring myself to go natural/gray. The thought of it terrifies me. I am fine with my age and skin but I just cannot see myself with no color on my hair.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ALRATIBA wrote:

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

I would love to hear how ladies with grey hair keep it pretty, I can't afford to go to the hairdresser so I would love to know what products people are using.

Next time you're at the drugstore ... check the shelves for products for gray hair.  Jhirmack makes shampoo and conditioner and a spray called "Silver Brightener."  They call it a "miracle leave-in conditioning treatment."  Jhirmack products leave your hair feeling  wonderful.  

Clairol makes a Clairol Shimmer for gray hair.  

One of my friends who is just starting to go gray (she's 64) ... is using it to brighten her gray in her otherwise brunette hair.  She's not hiding it .... she's showing it off.  She worked very hard to earn those gray hairs!   

Look around.  You don't have to spend a lot of money to find great products ... and they really do work.

For very little $$$, you can buy a bottle of laundry bluing in the detergent aisle at the grocery store.  You add a bit to a quart of water and pour over your hair after shampooing.  Don't use too much or you'll be one of those "blue haired" little old ladies.  It removes the yellowish cast gray hair gets.  Here are the directions.

Click Here

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I chose to quit coloring my hair at age 57. The expense to color, the toxic chemicals used to color...the time I spent coloring are just a few reasons why I chose to stop coloring.  Now 60, I love my white hair. It is healthy, shiny, and not damaged from all  the chemicals in the color. Most woman who chose to stop or to not color are happy in their own skin. And you are a fool if you think coloring your hair makes people think you are younger.  

I agree with this @SeaMaiden. I can't help but notice, that after a certain age, covering grey becomes like swimming against the current. The current of time that is! One can't win does not matter how hard she may be trying.

Not only it's more and more difficult to cover increasing grey, not only bleach and dyes cause by far more damage to the older hair, but most importantly -  color itself on the older hair does not look very good or flattering any longer!

This looks rather pitiful in my opinion. All I can see -

THIS older hair is obviously bleached or colored! And I can spot it from miles away......

I know-I know, I'll get a barrage of comments about their colorist doing great job and such......

All I see, everywhere I look - an  older lady with colored hair looks just like an older lady with her hair bleached or colored. She does not look a DAY younger in my eyes.

To me, what looks more youthful and even striking, is a Lady with her "natural" any shade of grey, AND with well kept face and great looking skin.

In this case  -  grey hair puts emphasis on Lady's face, and in a contrast -

grey hair + nice skin = striking effect!

In my opinion THIS makes woman looking younger and more "interesting", than "unnatural", but still - dull lifeless, obviously dyed older hair.

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

My mom has beautiful gray/silver hair and she gets compliments on it all the time. It is silky and shiny and a very unique color. I wouldn't change it for anything and it compliments her beautiful skin perfectly. She is one of the most beautiful women I know and not just because she is my mom.

I wonder why it bothers some people what others choose for themselves? Maybe the model doesn't care to look 20 years younger. Not every woman cares about chasing the fountain of youth or looking younger than they really are. I think it speaks to their ability to feel comfortable in their own skin (and hair, lol) and that is all that really matters in the big scheme of things.

"Not every woman cares about chasing the fountain of youth or looking younger than they really are. I think it speaks to their ability to feel comfortable in their own skin (and hair, lol) and that is all that really matters in the big scheme of things."

So true @HappyDaze! Not every woman chases this fountain of youth by fighting her grey hair till the end! Cat Happy

This  "fountain" either is inside of you, or not. It's source can NOT be found in the bottle of hair dye for a fact. The very spring of it does come from Lady's ability to feel comfortable in her own skin.

Esteemed Contributor

Another gray hair argument so soon?

If a woman or a man has an old face and an old body but colored hair, they aren't fooling anybody.  They aren't fooling me, anyway. 

What is so bad about growing older?   It sure beats the alternative.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@catlover ~ thanks for the photos!!!   I printed out one of them to show to my stylist.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt