Valued Contributor

Re: Gray Hair Model (Cheryl)

Some people look good with it, some might have health problems and they can no longer color their hair (I have 2 friends like that).  I will be 61 soon and work FT along with many coworkers in their 20's and 30's.  I have to get on my hands and knees to load machines daily.  I am considered a "young" boss, but if I let my hair go gray, I would feel like I was old.  My last class reunion I felt odd seeing so many with gray hair.  I know it's part of aging and there are a few that really look sharp with gray hair, but not for me.  My mom wore wigs due to thin hair and when she was 80, she said "that's it, I'm getting a gray (white) wig."  (It was light brown before).  You know, it took me about 2 weeks to get used to her and then it looked great.  So for me - not until I'm at least 80!  But Cheryl does look pretty the way she is.  Live and let live 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Heart
Valued Contributor

Isn't it wonderful how supportive women are of each other?  They don't critcize how someone dresses, wears or doesn't wear makeup, colors or doesn't color their hair, uses nailpolish or doesn't,   etc etc.

WHEN does this nonsense end?

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I chose to quit coloring my hair at age 57. The expense to color, the toxic chemicals used to color...the time I spent coloring are just a few reasons why I chose to stop coloring.  Now 60, I love my white hair. It is healthy, shiny, and not damaged from all  the chemicals in the color. Most woman who chose to stop or to not color are happy in their own skin. And you are a fool if you think coloring your hair makes people think you are younger.  

@SeaMaiden, is going gray part of the aging process? Of course the answer is yes, excluding any outliers. So just going by that biological fact, yes, gray hair is a sign of advanced maturity. :-) And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I just choose continue to keep my hair the color it was when I was young.

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I chose to quit coloring my hair at age 57. The expense to color, the toxic chemicals used to color...the time I spent coloring are just a few reasons why I chose to stop coloring.  Now 60, I love my white hair. It is healthy, shiny, and not damaged from all  the chemicals in the color. Most woman who chose to stop or to not color are happy in their own skin. And you are a fool if you think coloring your hair makes people think you are younger.  

@SeaMaiden, is going gray part of the aging process? Of course the answer is yes, excluding any outliers. So just going by that biological fact, yes, gray hair is a sign of advanced maturity. :-) And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I disagree.  I know 20-somethings with naturally gray hair, and guess what? They look like 20-something, not 70-something.  I also know 70- year old brunettes, and sure enough, they look 70, not 20.

Trusted Contributor

I would love to hear how ladies with grey hair keep it pretty, I can't afford to go to the hairdresser so I would love to know what products people are using.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

Maybe she feels like she earned those gray hairs and she's proud of them.  That's how I feel about mine.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB wrote:

I would love to hear how ladies with grey hair keep it pretty, I can't afford to go to the hairdresser so I would love to know what products people are using.

Next time you're at the drugstore ... check the shelves for products for gray hair.  Jhirmack makes shampoo and conditioner and a spray called "Silver Brightener."  They call it a "miracle leave-in conditioning treatment."  Jhirmack products leave your hair feeling  wonderful.  

Clairol makes a Clairol Shimmer for gray hair.  

One of my friends who is just starting to go gray (she's 64) ... is using it to brighten her gray in her otherwise brunette hair.  She's not hiding it .... she's showing it off.  She worked very hard to earn those gray hairs!   

Look around.  You don't have to spend a lot of money to find great products ... and they really do work.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After having beautiful dark brown (almost black) hair, my mom and her identical twin were both grey/white in their late 20's. My grandfather had a full head of white hair. Mom had me at the playground when I was around 3. Someone commented and told her what a beautiful granddaughter she had. She said she went right home, told my dad she was coloring her hair, and went out and bought Clairol, which she used her whole life. My aunt, who had no children, decided to let her hair stay the way it was.

Family and friends always called them "the salt and pepper twins"! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I disagree.  I know 20-somethings with naturally gray hair, and guess what? They look like 20-something, not 70-something.  I also know 70- year old brunettes, and sure enough, they look 70, not 20.

Yes, a 20-something will not look 70 just because she has prematurely gray hair, nor will a 70-year-old woman with brunette hair look 20.

But if you take two 70-year-old women who are aging similarly, one with gray hair and one who has natural-looking color done well, the latter will not look as aged as the former.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Maybe she feels like she earned those gray hairs and she's proud of them.  That's how I feel about mine.

Hair is not something to be proud of, whether it's gray or colored, and we don't earn gray hairs any more than we earned wrinkles or any of the other signs of aging.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@nomless wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Agreed.  today, while at a vendor show at the convention center, i was offered several 'miracle' creams, lotions, and gadgets that are designed to 'take years off' ... i said no thank you.  i am 67 and i pretty much prefer looking like i am 67 years old.  i am totally comfortable in my skin (and hair LOL)