Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gray Hair Model (Cheryl)

@tototwo wrote:

Another gray hair argument so soon?

If a woman or a man has an old face and an old body but colored hair, they aren't fooling anybody.  They aren't fooling me, anyway. 

What is so bad about growing older?   It sure beats the alternative.

This is true, @tototwo.  Colored hair next to old face only emphizes the face age. But with todays quite fantastic skincare lines and diligent routine, we can keep our faces looking good still! With grey hair I feel, it's quite opposite - the more we cover up increasing grey with dyes, the more damaged our hair becomes, therefore - looking older too. Yep, can't fool anyone, for sure. But we can improve our attitudes, health and skin any time.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

For those of you with grey hair who'd like to change it up once in a while, I highly recommend Roux Fanci-Full color mousses.  They come in about 20 shades from lightest blonde to black.  Just apply the mousse to damp hair after washing, then blow-dry or style as you usually do.  It adds a little color and shine -- I've never tried the dark colors so have no opinion on them.  I use light blonde and ash blonde shades. The color lasts until the next time you wash your hair.   I buy mine at Sally Beauty, but they are available at other stores -- and pretty cheap. 

@sonechko, I agree  ~  Beauty is an attitude - have a good one.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I have a friend that quit coloring her naturally brown hair once she retired, she said she did not want the upkeep and mostly the expense. Her brown hair is now mixed with gray and it looks beautiful.....It is not ashy or yellowing, just a pretty color of gray, and she said she is much happier to not have to spend all of that time and money at the salon every six weeks.......So I think it all depends on the person.Every one is different. I color my hair and at 57, do not plan to quit any time soon!!!!!

Regular Contributor

@cef001 wrote:

I know I am going to hear it from some but I don't care. I have been wanting to say this for the longest time.  The older model that does beauty and hair shows, I believe her name is Cheryl, please, please color your hair a pretty rich brown. You are so attractive, you have beautiful skin. You will look at least 20 years younger! I really do not understand why these older models do not color their hair. It is the first thing a stylist does in a makeover, is color the hair.  

Having read all the post let me say Ive been white haired since I was forty -six.Thanks to Dad and his side of the family......Also Im a retired hairdresser and lets be honest I need for you to let me color,style etc .your hair for my shop to make money.I will encourage you  to cut dye or whatever to pay the bills. Its a business and thats why Im open......I also will do the best I can to please you  and correct any mistakes that you are not happy with. I also appreciate your confidence in my staff and their skills.You know what looks best on you and what you like Its my job  to help you acheive this look.Always remember you know best not a hairdresser or family member.Mistakes can be corrected and hair will grow back if cut was to short etc....its only hair.......

Super Contributor

So, I gave it time to read all the posts referring to this topic and what I came across is, the women with gray hair are making excuses not to color it. My mom is eighty, I can't imagine her gray. Her hair is a light brown with warm highlights. People think she is much younger than she is. But I bet if she went gray she would look eighty. And for all the gray ladies on here, why bother using skincare that helps with wrinkles. What is the point right? And I never heard a woman say I want to look my age or older. I am 46 just starting to grey and it will be a cold day in hell before I throw in the towel and succumb to grey.     

Esteemed Contributor

There is nothing wrong with those who like their hair gray. For me, I do not think gray hair is at all attractive and I will color my hair as long as I can.

Esteemed Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

I agree. My opinion, the ONLY women who look good with grey hair are the really young premature grey ones. Everyone else would look years younger with even just a light blond or lightest brown and maybe frosted too.

I think salt & pepper looks the worst. 

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.......but you shouldn't use the words "only....everyone....and worst."  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I chose to quit coloring my hair at age 57. The expense to color, the toxic chemicals used to color...the time I spent coloring are just a few reasons why I chose to stop coloring.  Now 60, I love my white hair. It is healthy, shiny, and not damaged from all  the chemicals in the color. Most woman who chose to stop or to not color are happy in their own skin. And you are a fool if you think coloring your hair makes people think you are younger.  

@SeaMaiden, is going gray part of the aging process? Of course the answer is yes, excluding any outliers. So just going by that biological fact, yes, gray hair is a sign of advanced maturity. :-) And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I just choose continue to keep my hair the color it was when I was young.

Some people have grey hair very young - mine started to turn white at age 25 -- it is certainly NOT caused by aging - it is caused by genetics.

Valued Contributor

@motherinlaw wrote:

My hairdresser insists on keeping my hair colored/highlighted. She,too, says it keeps years off your face.  Who am I to argue?  Smiley Happy

...and maybe your hairdresser wants the money for coloring your hair. It financially definitely benefits them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The thing is -- why do people think they have the right to color as much or for as long as they want to without comment - but those who chose to go natural do not, in fact have that same right to do what we want? Colored hair does not always look good - it is often damaged and straw like or the color can be totally wrong for the person's complexion, but only those who chose to go natural are supposed to just sit back and take on all the very very rude, mean comments.