Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gov't just banned ExfoliKate

Thanks for posting this ... I never heard anything about this before.

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

I just read an article that these plastic microbeads can even work their way through water filtration systems and wind up in rivers, lakes and oceans.  They absorb toxins/pesticides, which are then eaten by sea life, when mistaken for roe or plankton.  They eventually end up in the fish/sushi on your diinner plates.

If it doesn't kill the fish first...

I don't think it's that fast-acting.

No idea what you are referring to here. They have found dead fish on the shores with plastic in their guts. The fish are dying due to the accumulation of plastic in their bodies. So if you are referring to it not killing the fish, yes, yes it does.

Honored Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

Seems like a year and a half is a long time for these products to be banned.  A lot more environmental damage can be done within that time. 

way too long, imo but they have to give them time to find an alternative that works. Sadly, since this issue has been in the news for years now, the companies should have cared years ago and already changed their formulas yet many have not. I give kudos to all those that have already, without government mandating it. smh

Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

I just read an article that these plastic microbeads can even work their way through water filtration systems and wind up in rivers, lakes and oceans.  They absorb toxins/pesticides, which are then eaten by sea life, when mistaken for roe or plankton.  They eventually end up in the fish/sushi on your diinner plates.

If it doesn't kill the fish first...

I don't think it's that fast-acting.

No idea what you are referring to here. They have found dead fish on the shores with plastic in their guts. The fish are dying due to the accumulation of plastic in their bodies. So if you are referring to it not killing the fish, yes, yes it does.

I was referring to the life-span of fish vs. humans, not how fast acting a specific toxin can kill.  There are varied forms of plastics being ingested by sea life, ergo the larger the toxin, the faster it kills the fish..  Microbeads may pass quickly through a fish, yet toxins absorbed remain, giving it time to be caught and be an entree.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

I stopped buying philosophy olive oil scrubs for this very reason.  Most of them still have the plastic microbeads.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Frequent Contributor

About time. Although the title of this thread is misleading as there are many products that still contain these beads, not just ExfoliKate.

BTW, I quit using any kind of scrubby product when this info first came out years ago and my skin has not suffered from lack of exfoliation.  In fact I've seee no difference at all so now I don't even think about trying, LOL.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I stopped buying philosophy olive oil scrubs for this very reason.  Most of them still have the plastic microbeads.

Ditto for me and Microdelivery Wash.

Trusted Contributor

I was gifted from wonderful shower gel years ago.  After I put in my hand and felt the scruffy particles, I decided that it would only be used on my legs and didn't even use on my arms. I was a bit paranoid about possibly getting "places" I didn't want it to get in.   Plain washes and soaps are my go to now.-------tedEbear

Esteemed Contributor

lol Gotta laugh at the Govt.  They can ban this, but leave WEN that makes you bald on the market.  That's our Govt for ya. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

lol Gotta laugh at the Govt.  They can ban this, but leave WEN that makes you bald on the market.  That's our Govt for ya. 

um kind of a big difference between something that is contributing to the desctruction of our planet and something that causes a possible allergic reaction in some people. If you can't see that there is a huge difference between these two things, then I feel bad for you.