Trusted Contributor

Re: Girls over 50 a Question: Do you prefer matte eyeshadows or shimmer?

I'm 64 and have always preferred a shimmer in my eye shadow and lipstick.  Fortunately my eyes have not changed so don't have a problem with wrinkles which some report as being problematic with shimmery shadows.  I do like a matte blush however.  Whenever I have tried a matte eye or lip it just looks very flat on me.

Honored Contributor

If I were to use shadow, it would be a 'nude' shade in a shimmer since my eyes are small'ish and very deep-set.

Nothing too iridescent or metallic, just kind of luminous.

Esteemed Contributor

I have matte light colored eyeshadows but my preference is actually not to wear any eyeshadow at all as both matte and shimmer tend to emphasize crepey skin. I prefer to use a really light concealer on my eyelids and place the emphasis on my eyelashes and brows. I don't like eyeliner either as it makes my eyes look smaller. Since my lashes are black and my brows are medium-dark brown I don't have to really use liner at all in the first place.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Only matte for this brunette, brown eyed, 60 year old beauty! Oh, I have very fair skin!

Just kidding, I'm not really brunette! 😉

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@TY wrote:

I have matte light colored eyeshadows but my preference is actually not to wear any eyeshadow at all as both matte and shimmer tend to emphasize crepey skin. I prefer to use a really light concealer on my eyelids and place the emphasis on my eyelashes and brows. I don't like eyeliner either as it makes my eyes look smaller. Since my lashes are black and my brows are medium-dark brown I don't have to really use liner at all in the first place.

I could do without shadow, as well! But, I don't have as many lashes as I used to! (Mine looked like I had falsies on, then one day loading my fireplace I had a flash over and fortunately all that happened was my lashes singed off! One side hardly grew back, and old age has taken many of the ones that did! I have bangs, so brows aren't an issue! My choice would be a really good dark brown liner!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

Matte ... I only wear a dusty taupe.

Honored Contributor

Matte eye shadow all the way. 

I do not look good with flashy style eye shadows.

Honored Contributor

I am gravitating towards matte shadows but certain shimmers provided they are not overly sparkly work for me in particular under the brow bone.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sixty-four, have very few wrinkles and use this on my deep set dark eyes.

For work, I use the lower left on the inner 1/3 of the lid and the upper right on the remaing 2/3.  I come up to about 1/4 in below the brow.  They're perfect taupe.  Under the brow and the inner corner I use a shell pink very close to skin tone only better.  If we go out, I'll put some of the black in the crease.  Love this set and it runs out often.  There are a few other sets that have the same two taupes with berry or other colors.

Image result for revlon siren eyeshadow

My makeup looks very much like this model's shape and technique without the shine, green, and I have another guy!  LOL!

Image result for revlon siren eyeshadow

At home, I use the silver as an undercoat for other shadows I bought that didn't work out.

Honored Contributor

I'll turn 57 this week and I've been using neutral shades with a bit of shimmer.  I feel it brightens things up.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~