Super Contributor

Fraxel Laser - anyone done it??

Hi BB Ladies -

I am curious about fraxel laser for my skin...I've noticed that the texture of my skin is looking kind of "rough" and I do have a bit of sun damage in places. We recently moved to the Las Vegas area and I just had an appt with a new dermatologist to discuss how to "help" my skin adjust to the climate change. We talked about all kinds of treatments and he brought up fraxel lasering.

Obviously it is expensive and would require a few days of "downtime", as I understand it, but the before and afters he showed me were impressive.

Anyone had it done and if so, what were your issues and was it worth doing??

Thanks!!

Regular Contributor

Re: Fraxel Laser - anyone done it??

Moving up....would like to see comments..

Regular Contributor

Re: Fraxel Laser - anyone done it??

I had a series of Fraxel laser treatments back in 2007. I had hyperpigmentation due to post-pregnancy melasma above my upper lip and on the lower/hollows of the cheeks. I was 43 at the time with pretty good skin, minimal wrinkling, but hyperpigmentation and sun damage from years of sun exposure.

I had 5 Fraxels spread apart- one a month. At that time, each cost $800 (total $4K), but totally worth it. It is uncomfortable although they applied a topical anesthetic cream, and I was very red and swollen for the first 48 hours or so, but then I was able to conceal the redness with makeup. The day of the treatment I drove home with loads of sunscreen on and even a wide brim hat. I drank lots of water (even children's Pedialyte...lol) and applied cold compresses if I felt discomfort. Honestly, the first treatment was the "worst" in terms of affect effects, the rest were not as severe.

A week after each laser I began to shed skin and my face had a bit of a dry/leathery look to it, but at 2 weeks it was like magic! beautiful even, smooth, porcelain skin. The clinic I went to recommended a microdermabrasion at week 3 (one week prior to the next treatment) and they actually included that in their price.

Honestly, two treatments would have been more than enough to achieve my desired results, but I had pre-paid the 5 laser package and they did not offer credits or refunds so I went ahead and did the remaining 3. I do think by treatment 4 my skin had had enough. I noticed some slight pigmentation forming on my upper cheekbone (where I never had hyperpigmentation in the first place) and that never went away. I would like to say that if that little bit of darkening was all the negative I walked away with, it was still totally worth it for me considering all the large brown areas and "upper lip shadow" I had. Those were all gone!

Today there are new lasers and new advances in laser technology so it's exciting to see what else is out there! I recommend it!