Esteemed Contributor

No I would not buy a product simply because it's endorsed by a celebrity.  Referring back to the OP, people like Mally and Laura Geller are not exactly celebrities.  They are craftspeople who earned their illustrious reputations working in their specific trade for celebrities.  That makes them famous-- not celebrities.  

These people who cash in on being a celebrity and jump into something which has nothing to do with what made them famous doesn't impress me.  This doesn't mean that I believe any product endorsed, or financially backed, by a celebrity is bad because that would be silly.  Sometimes the products are good.  Principal Secret comes to mind as a brand which was created by a Beverly Hills esthetician, but it was Victoria coming on board which opened up the door for the infomercial which ignited national sales for the brand. It was Victoria who made the phones ring, but the products were good.  I realize Victoria went on to be CEO of PS involved with operations and development of products, but initially she was just Ida Thibiat's famous client.  

Respected Contributor

I actually run the other way from celebrity endorsements of anything.  If I buy the product, it is unrelated to the celebrity. 

Mr. Avalon seems to have led a moral good life and has a nice singing voice.

I have purchased his limoncello and tiramisu cakes, not because he is Frankie Avalon, but because I was looking for a good dessert for a gathering,  They were both very good.

On the other hand I ordered his Italian sausage and I thought they were terrible.

Esteemed Contributor

No, of course not....his lemony things looked good...but i am not a lemony person...so i had to pass...

Respected Contributor

Only  if they truely use what they sell and  believe  what they say

Respected Contributor

I would when I had a crush on him at age 17.

Now, not so much.  Celebrities don't impress me anymore and I don't follow anyone.

Respected Contributor

@Scooby Doo

Your post reminded me of when I was a high school sophomore.  A distant cousin was a songwriter and manager of two heart throbs:  Frankie Avalon and Fabian.

I ( along with my two younger sisters ) was supposed to spend the afternoon with Avalon but got Fabian instead.  Got to see the music studio at my cousin's home while my grandparents spent time with the Italian distant cousins.

Aside from a picture with Fabian, don't remember much of that " memorable " day !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Frankie Avalon

[ Edited ]

Frankie Avalon sells anti-aging products?  I haven't seen that.  To answer the question, NO, I wouldn't buy any product sold by a celebrity.  A "name" on a bottle is usually a big turn-off for me.

That said, some men never age:  Frankie Avalon, Bob Costas, the American Bandstand guy, my father.... if their "magic" could be put in a bottle, we'd all buy it.  But it's good genes, not any lotion or cream.

(funny.... this forum wouldn't let me type Mr. Clark's first name...)

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: Frankie Avalon

[ Edited ]

****** Clark

hahhahah that's funny just think 'Rick' 

Super Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

OK.  Born 1940.

Would you buy something just because of who he is?

Or, any celebrity?

( I realize there are makeup celebrities like L Geller and Mally who have risen to celebrity status.  They have created good products in the area in which they have spent a career. I'm not speaking of those type.).

Yes. 

I'd buy a beach blanket [Frankie's included] & time warp back in time & play bingo Cat Wink

Honored Contributor

I never buy anything because a celebrity is presenting the item or endorsing the product.   Also, I think on a lot of these items they just put their name on it and really don't have any input in making the items.  (I'm not referring to Frankie Avalon--it may be a family recipe.)  I doubt all these celebrities with perfumes, etc. really are involved with the development of these products.