Not applicable

Foundation that stays put under surgical mask?

I'm a nursing student and I have to wear surgical masks on occasion when in the OR. While wearing them, my breath creates this warm moist environment, my bare minerals comes off in my mask in spots, and when I take the mask off, I have splotches of bare skin surrounded by cakey looking make-up. And when I try to rub and smooth it out, it just looks worse and I end up having to wash it off of my face. I'm thinking it's because of the powder formula that this happens, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have experience with this or suggestions? I'll try a liquid or cream foundation next. Does anyone know a good one that doesn't sweat off? Or at least would be blend-able afterward.
Super Contributor

Re: Foundation that stays put under surgical mask?

Stop wearing makeup?

Since you're a nursing student ... at some point, you'll get over the vanity aspect and concentrate on the OR patient.

When my mom was in ICU, none of the nurses wore makeup.

Respected Contributor

I'd find one that is supposedly water proof....but honestly, I think all will rub off to some degree. Maybe try a tinted moisturizer that might get absorbed more.

Frequent Contributor

On 4/4/2014 ennui1 said:

Stop wearing makeup?

Since you're a nursing student ... at some point, you'll get over the vanity aspect and concentrate on the OR patient.

Seriously? Vanity? It's a beauty board -- jeez!

Lillie1004, I don't have any experience with a surgical mask, but I'm wondering if a tinted moisturizer or BB cream might be an option. I hope someone with experience can respond with a helpful suggestion!

Super Contributor

For a liquid foundation that stays on a loong time, I like Estee Lauder Double Wear..only thing is that under a surgical mask/sweaty conditions it might clog your pores and cause acne.

Can you go foundation free on OR days and make do with only concealer with a light dusting of powder?

Respected Contributor

On 4/4/2014 ennui1 said:

Stop wearing makeup?

I agree. Forget about the makeup and focus strictly on being the best nurse for patients. They won't care if you're sans makeup.

Respected Contributor

On 4/4/2014 ennui1 said:

Stop wearing makeup?

and when my son was dying in the trauma care unit after his accident in Nov, every RN I encountered was wearing makeup. Should I now wonder if wearing makeup diminished their ability to "concentrate" on trying to save his life? I'm now semi retired after 42 years of being a working RN and I indulged my "vanity" (!) every day by wearing tastefully applied cosmetics. Your remarks are so ludicrous as to make me wonder if you are pranking us and I just fell for it. I hope that's the case. I would hate to think that you honestly begrudge a nurse the desire to look nice like other women. I bet you think nurses are way over paid too. Literally shaking my head.

Harmonize the World
Contributor

I would try the Revlon Color Stay foundation. I have been wearing it for 20 years and I sweat a lot on hot, humid days and it still looks great.

Super Contributor

On 4/4/2014 smoochy said:
On 4/4/2014 ennui1 said:

Stop wearing makeup?

Since you're a nursing <em>student</em> ... at some point, you'll get over the vanity aspect and concentrate on the OR patient.

and when my son was dying in the trauma care unit after his accident in Nov, every RN I encountered was wearing makeup. Should I now wonder if wearing makeup diminished their ability to "concentrate" on trying to save his life? I'm now semi retired after 42 years of being a working RN and I indulged my "vanity" (!) every day by wearing tastefully applied cosmetics. Your remarks are so ludicrous as to make me wonder if you are pranking us and I just fell for it. I hope that's the case. I would hate to think that you honestly begrudge a nurse the desire to look nice like other women. I bet you think nurses are way over paid too. Literally shaking my head.

And your remarks are out of line. I didn't say anything about pay.

Nurses I have encountered in my life do not wear makeup. Get over it.

Valued Contributor

I say also Estee Lauder Double Wear..I recently started wearing this and it stays on pretty good when i sweat.I switch back and forth with Bareminerals....You can get a sample that is a good amount to try it before you buy btw.