Super Contributor

For Those of You Who Have Experienced Hair Loss or Other Reactions with Wen . . .

I experienced hair loss from Wen. I had an interesting e-mail conversation with a manager from Chaz Dean Studios over the course of several days last week. After providing my history and experience, the manager responded, "It seems like you had an allergic reaction to Wen." I asked if Chaz Dean was aware of the considerable incidence of adverse reactions to Wen and, if so, if anything was being done to address this issue. I also asked if the company had been able to identify a "suspect" ingredient(s) as far as any studies they might have undertaken.

The manager responded, "Our efforts to look into the hair loss issue began a couple of years ago when we began to see an increase in the number of on-line complaints" and that they "are aware of a number of people making this claim, however, they have not been able to replicate the condition in their own testing." He added, "Because we have not been able to replicate the problem, we are at a bit of a standstill." But, "We are doing what we can to see if there is any link." The manager also said, "It is problematic that not enough people have called the company to provide more personal information (history and experience) for investigative purposes." And, "Should we ever find a connection to ingredients in Wen and hair loss, appropriate measures will be taken."

I tried to pin the manager down as far as what might be the suspect ingredient (so that I could avoid it in the future), but the manager would not respond. The manager suggested to me that something as simple as changing shampoos may be enough to trigger hair loss, which is why the manager thinks some people may be experiencing hair loss when switching to Wen. I explained to the manager that my hair loss began several months after switching to Wen, and also that I had switched shampoos many times in my lifetime without losing hair.

All in all, I was pleased with our conversation. I felt that the manager was aware, concerned, and sincere. It should be noted this was not my experience when I contacted Guthy-Renker -- they were extremely hostile and defensive.

I would ask that anyone who has experienced hair loss or some other adverse reaction from Wen to go to Chaz Dean's official web site and contact them either via e-mail or by phone to describe your personal experience. This will go a long way towards helping to identify the culprit and, hopefully, keep others from having to experience any bad reactions. Thanks everyone!