Respected Contributor

Flat Irons-I Never Knew That....

Was watch the Q yesterday and they were showing a cordless flat iron. Nice concept, but the vendor said other flat irons can strip your hair color if you color your hair. I do color my hair and it has fades really fast. I don't sit in the sun or wash it every day but do use the In Styler when I do. Has anyone else heard of this or experienced it. Just curious.

Honored Contributor

Re: Flat Irons-I Never Knew That....

Yes, heat styling can fade color. I rarely use a blow dryer and avoid heat stylers, so I haven't experienced this. The more heat the more the color can fade. A heat protectant can help, but I just avoid heat styling whenever possible. I color my hair red, which is already the color that fades the most easily, so I just can't afford to mess around with heat styling.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue

I recently posted about looking for a flat iron to purchase.  But I am on the fence about it.  I AM afraid of damage to my hair and also I hadn't thought about the color issue.

I don't blow dry my hair either except for my bangs.  How do you style your hair if you don't mind my asking?  I have very long hair, slightly thick, wavy and prone to frizz.  I am always looking for products to control the frizz and make it look decent.  

I always hear other women talking and they blow dry, use curling irons, hot rollers, etc. constantly.  Most of them have decent looking hair.  How do they avoid heat damage, etc., I wonder?  Plus, I just don't have the energy or the knack for using all of these things.  Never did. 

For me, it's hard to get my hair to look nice without doing a bunch of stuff.  Any tips that you use?  Thanks.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I never use a flat irons because they are so damaging to hair. Many things can fade hair color even water, time and sun.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue

I recently posted about looking for a flat iron to purchase.  But I am on the fence about it.  I AM afraid of damage to my hair and also I hadn't thought about the color issue.

I don't blow dry my hair either except for my bangs.  How do you style your hair if you don't mind my asking?  I have very long hair, slightly thick, wavy and prone to frizz.  I am always looking for products to control the frizz and make it look decent.  

I always hear other women talking and they blow dry, use curling irons, hot rollers, etc. constantly.  Most of them have decent looking hair.  How do they avoid heat damage, etc., I wonder?  Plus, I just don't have the energy or the knack for using all of these things.  Never did. 

For me, it's hard to get my hair to look nice without doing a bunch of stuff.  Any tips that you use?  Thanks.  

@AngelPuppy1, I also have long wavy/curly hair that's prone to frizz. I think wavy hair is really difficult because it doesn't have a great curl pattern, doesn't want to be straight, and often just looks messy. It's a pain.

I've decided to embrace my waves and curls and work with them instead of against them. It takes less time that straightening and doesn't require heat. Plus, beachy waves are the things people are spending hours and dollar to get, so work them and let everyone else be jealous.

Finding a good frizz-prevention product took me a while, but my favorite is Curl Keeper, by Curly Hair Solutions. It's made in Canada and I can't find it anywhere locally, but I can get it on Amazon, the Curly Hair Solutions Website, and the Naturallycurly.com site. It's a light polymer formula with a hint of gel. I add it to soaking wet hair and it doesn't get crunchy and doesn't provide a lot of hold, but it does keep my hair frizz-free even in high humidity. I went without it early in the summer and my hair was a frizzy mess. As soon as I added it back into my routine, my hair was frizz-free again. I buy it by the liter.

I use mostly curl-friendly products and have given up shampoo. These things have helped bring out more curl in my hair so it looks more intentional and not so messy. I use WEN, but you can also use a conditioner to wash your hair instead of a shampoo. (Naturallycurly.com is a great source of information about giving up shampoo if you want to try it.) Curly hair needs moisture and when I get it, my waves are definitely more curly.

On days I wash my hair, I put some leave-in conditioner in my hair, add my Curl Keeper, put about 10 drops of oil over that, and then add some Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie (drugstores and Ulta) over the top - all in soaking wet hair. I blot dry with a t-shirt because the loops in towels pull at the hair cuticle and cause frizz before hair even dries. After that, I use Ouidad's Rake and Shake method (video demo) to set my curl pattern and air dry or use a diffuser on my blow dryer if it's very cold and I don't want to go out with wet hair.

On days I don't wash, I comb my hair out and spray my hair with water until it's a little damp, then spray with a curl reviving spray. (I like Ouidad Botanical Boost or Shea Moisture Hold & Shine Moisture Mist. The Shea Moisture spray helps with frizz more than the Ouidad spray.) I scrunch the curl pattern back into my hair and air dry. If my hair is behaving badly or humidity is high, I scrunch some Curl Keeper back into my hair to prevent frizz.

It takes a fraction of the time it takes me to straighten my hair and my hair is healthier for it.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue

You are so kind to post this message!

It sounds like you really have your routine down-pat!

I envy you as you seem to know exactly what works for you.

It must have taken a lot of trial and error.

I, myself, have tried so many products, etc., that I could probably have supplied 30 women with stuff.  LOL!

I don't have much knack though with doing hair.  Never did.  

I appreciate so very much you listing all of this and maybe, just maybe, some of these things will work for me!

I agree with your description about wavy hair.  It is not straight and not curly and just kind of does its own thing.  Very difficult to control.  

I don't know if this has happened to you, but for me, it seems the older I have gotten, the more wavy and the more frizzy my hair has gotten.  My hair was nearly straight when I was young.  Go figure!!!  

Any how, thanks a bunch -- I am saving your post so I can refer back to it!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I always use some sort of heat styling tool on my hair. Been coloring my hair for years without any undo harm or color fading whatsoever. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

AngelPuppy1

Check this Video Out..I think this might be for you. It's only available on Dermstore.com and it's currently OUT OF STOCK..I want this..BUT it's $300..But if it actually works..it might be worth it. I forgot to say It's called The Dafni Brush

Dafni Brush - YouTube

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@ChynnaBlue

You are so kind to post this message!

It sounds like you really have your routine down-pat!

I envy you as you seem to know exactly what works for you.

It must have taken a lot of trial and error.

I, myself, have tried so many products, etc., that I could probably have supplied 30 women with stuff.  LOL!

I don't have much knack though with doing hair.  Never did.  

I appreciate so very much you listing all of this and maybe, just maybe, some of these things will work for me!

I agree with your description about wavy hair.  It is not straight and not curly and just kind of does its own thing.  Very difficult to control.  

I don't know if this has happened to you, but for me, it seems the older I have gotten, the more wavy and the more frizzy my hair has gotten.  My hair was nearly straight when I was young.  Go figure!!!  

Any how, thanks a bunch -- I am saving your post so I can refer back to it!!!!  

Absolutely this has happened to me. When I was in junior high I had a bob that I wore straight and the only issue I had was that one side would curl up and one under without help.

In high school I went to get a body wave (it was the 80s!) and the hairdresser was examining my hair and said, "Why do you want a body wave when your hair is already.... oh... I see, it's only curly on one side." I got a body wave once, then perms for a few years. At some point, I remember the curls just never grew out the way they used to and both sides of my head started to even out. As I've gotten older and changed my routine, it's definitely gotten curlier. My mother's hair also got curlier as she got older.

I do think I have my routine down now, but it took years and thousands of dollars spent on products that kind of worked or didn't work at all. I'm glad I've finally found things that work and don't cost a fortune. 

Honored Contributor

I've had a cordless flat iron for 20 years and back when I used it all the time I never noticed color fading associated with it. Now shampoo absolutely faded my color on the other hand.
Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval