Trusted Contributor

Re: Finally found those spatulas to apply creams!

Fingernails are often more germ or dirt infested than even the fingers are. Anyone who has nails beyond the edge of their finger is at risk for that and it is not always so simple to get the nails really clean. I use two good nail scrubbers yet still feel there could be some residual.

As I mentioned earlier, my greater concerns are the products slowly being affected and the potential for contaminating the ingredients, some of which might become ineffective. I did use my fingers for years but with the increase of some excellent ingredients, I'm not willing to risk damaging the product. And oversized jars (which I don't like anyway) would have a whole lot of finger and nail dips .......... not for me anymore.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, my thanks too, KathyPet. I like keeping a lot of spatulas on hand so I never have a need to use my fingers. Do you happen to recall where in Sally's you located them? That store can get confusing, at least for me at my local one.

Esteemed Contributor

They were ibn the section with the cosmetic sponges. I am sure a clerk could direct you.
Honored Contributor

Am I the only person that just dabs their finger in and lifts so that what's left in the jar never actually touched my hand? I've always just naturally done that. I'm not a germophobe

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

On 5/26/2014 KathyPet said:
On 5/26/2014 kcladyz said:

Sorry but its a waste of money. I like most use my fingers.

Each to his own but I am not transferring any germs or bacteria that might happen to be ion my fingers into my face creams not to mention that the cream then gets under your fingernails and has to be removed.

If you're applying product to your face with your hands you're still transferring any germs or bacteria on your hands to your face.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

On 5/26/2014 KathyPet said:
On 5/26/2014 kcladyz said:

Sorry but its a waste of money. I like most use my fingers.

Each to his own but I am not transferring any germs or bacteria that might happen to be ion my fingers into my face creams not to mention that the cream then gets under your fingernails and has to be removed.

I have been using clean fingers for 30 plus years.... that cream under my fingernails has never been an issue.

Super Contributor

Let's break this one down ladies.

99.9% of the time, you have cleansed your face prior to applying creams. Right? You have used your hands for that process, thus your hands are also cleansed. Then you turn right around and put your freshly cleansed hands in the cream jar to apply to your freshly cleansed face. I frankly see zero need for these little things. LaPrairie always includes silver ones with the creams I use and I toss them.

And the cream under fingernail issue. Huh? Use your finger TIPS to get the cream out of the jar. Don't dip your entire finger down into it. You don't need that much anyway! If you should happen to get a little underneath your nail, scrape it out and use it as hand cream.

Super Contributor

On 5/26/2014 expatgal said:

Let's break this one down ladies.

99.9% of the time, you have cleansed your face prior to applying creams. Right? You have used your hands for that process, thus your hands are also cleansed. Then you turn right around and put your freshly cleansed hands in the cream jar to apply to your freshly cleansed face. I frankly see zero need for these little things. LaPrairie always includes silver ones with the creams I use and I toss them.

And the cream under fingernail issue. Huh? Use your finger TIPS to get the cream out of the jar. Don't dip your entire finger down into it. You don't need that much anyway! If you should happen to get a little underneath your nail, scrape it out and use it as hand cream.

Never have I ever had a jar of face cream or whatever have bacteria or mold growing in it. They do put preservatives in it for a reason. I suppose if you go outside and pick up the dog yard... then come in with non washed hands and plop them into your face product and spread it all over your face... that may be gross and you PERHAPS you should use a spatula... OR WASH YOUR HANDS.

Valued Contributor

I can't believe this simple post by OP has caused so much controversy.

The basic reason that higher end products sometimes have those little plastic spoons is to prevent the product from breaking down or becoming soupy. Even a little bit of soap residue , or serum that you applied to your face first, can cause the problem, eventually. They're not exactly a budget breaker, and no harm done.

Esteemed Contributor

I can't believe that people are actually arguing about whether you should or should not use a plastic spatula to put on creams from a jar. On second thought knowing how people are on these boards I can believe it. Don't want to use one then don't. I do and ""Frankly my dear I don't give a d***"" if you do or not.