Respected Contributor

Favorite shampoo/conditioner for thinning hair

What have you had good results with? Already consulted about hair loss with my doctor, so no need to discuss me going to see a doctor. He suggested I use shampoo and conditioner for thinning hair but didn't suggest a specific brand.
Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite shampoo/conditioner for thinning hair

LIVING PROOF is a brand you may want to try.

qvc no longer carries it, but they do have their own website and sephora and nordstrom carry the brand.

i use their shampoo, conditioner, and their thickening cream.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Loreal makes a very good shampoo and conditioner in their Total Repair line, called Advanced Haircare Volume Filler Thickening.  I used it when a year of using WEN caused me to lose quite a bit of hair and found this product to help.  I really noticed the difference when I didn't use it.  I stopped using the other product and my hair grew back but I've continued to used this Loreal poduct....Good luck~!!  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Contributor

I am interested in these recs too as my hair is starting to thin on top.

Honored Contributor

@Rachb I had the same problem, thinning on the top of the head. I just assumed it was the natural process of aging.

I think the best advice I got, and which made sense to me, was to ensure that you use something that cleans the scalp really well. That would seem to be a no-brainer, but ensuring that the base of the follicles are not blocked didn't occur to me before. A healthy scalp produces healthy hair. 

I try to massage my scalp every night before I got to bed, maybe around five minutes while I watch TV, especially around the area that has less hair than other areas. I make sure I am massaging gently, but enough to stimulate the scalp. Heart

If nothing else, it sure does feel good! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Rachb I had the same problem, thinning on the top of the head. I just assumed it was the natural process of aging.

I think the best advice I got, and which made sense to me, was to ensure that you use something that cleans the scalp really well. That would seem to be a no-brainer, but ensuring that the base of the follicles are not blocked didn't occur to me before. A healthy scalp produces healthy hair. 

I try to massage my scalp every night before I got to bed, maybe around five minutes while I watch TV, especially around the area that has less hair than other areas. I make sure I am massaging gently, but enough to stimulate the scalp. Heart

@Rachb,

I've had thinning hair all my life. At one point I went bald for about a year and luckily it came back. It's still unclear why I lost all my hair but one thing the docs all told me is to make sure your scalp is always clean. So I have done that religiously using all kinds and brands of shampoos...really doesn't matter which brand you decide to let go down the drain...just make sure you clean your scalp well even if you have to shampoo everyday.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just last week on here I mentioned a shampoo & conditioner I picked up at the grocery store to try. Have used it 4 times now and still haven't had the need to sprinkle my hair filler fibers on the bad spots before the leaving the house. It's Garnier Fructis Volume Extend for Fine or Flat Hair. Wasn't sure how it would do because it didn't say "thinning hair" on the bottles, just fine or flat but I'm quite pleased with it. I had tried two different Nick Chavez products that are supposed to help but wasn't all that happy with them after a few uses.

Respected Contributor

I should clarify, I'm not looking for "thickening" products, but rather products that will aid in regrowth. I'm leaning towards Nioxin but thought I'd check here to see if anyone had alternative suggestions. (And as a side note, I've tried Living Proof, several lines, several times, and hated all of them.)
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee

@SilleeMee wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

@Rachb,

I've had thinning hair all my life. At one point I went bald for about a year and luckily it came back. It's still unclear why I lost all my hair but one thing the docs all told me is to make sure your scalp is always clean. So I have done that religiously using all kinds and brands of shampoos...really doesn't matter which brand you decide to let go down the drain...just make sure you clean your scalp well even if you have to shampoo everyday.

LOL! You're so funny! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@Rachb For a very short period of time I bought Nioxin (or Walmart's equivalent of it) and used it for about one week. It probably works really well, but the thought that I would have to do that at least twice a day was not something I wanted to do.

Guess that is silly of me, especially if the product works, but I just didn't want to do that. So I returned it.