Contributor

Exfoliate for ladies over 50? Yes? No?? Maybe????

Trying to figure out the exfoliate routine for those of us who are in our 50s. Tell me what is working for you! Product? Frequency? Forget it?????? {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Respected Contributor

Re: Exfoliate for ladies over 50? Yes? No?? Maybe????

Hi CVN1993 ~ I'm 58, and I have been exfoliating twice a week for years. Thanks to some great advice from the Ladies here, I now use the 2 piece OLAY Regenerist Microdermabrasion Kit. It is "very" similar to the Philosophy kit, which I loved, but the price became too much for me. OLAY Micro Kit is about $21 at Walmart.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Honored Contributor

Yes! I am 57. I use either Cure Natural Aqua Gel or Missha Super Aqua Oxygen Micro Essence Peeling gel most of the time but will also use an enzyme powder that I still have to use up, and do it 2-3 times per week. I also do masks a few nights a week.
Respected Contributor

Totally agree with what has been stated. I am 62 and use Queen Helene's apricot scrub and mint julep mask every few days, 2-3 times weekly. Great results with very inexpensive products. I also use Dhc skin care faithfully and have been told repeatedly I look about 8 years younger. Always put moisturizer and sun block on-religiously.
Honored Contributor

I'm 60 and exfoliate. Some things slow down as we age but there is still cell turnover. I use a deep exfoliator every 7-14 days and that's enough for me. Others may need it more often.

Esteemed Contributor

Daily, gentle exfoliation, and here's the reason why...each and every day skin cells shed, until about 28 days, you reveal brand new skin (as it were). Why would you only exfoliate once a week (which, I guess is what is touted) or, use something harsh, which upsets the natural balance of your skin?

Your fountain of youth (I say) is your own sebum production, and why would you want to upset that...either by overstimulating (in using harsh things, or too harsh for your skin) or by not exfoliating in a gentle way to encourage cell production and your natural oils, which cushions & protects your skin (in more ways than one)?

Some ingredients helps the process along, (which slows down after a certain age) but you can also exfoliate simply with a washcloth.

I just don't believe in drying out your skin, which I think comes with too much exfoliation. Neither do I believe in over moisturizing your skin as you try to compensate for a harsher method or ingredients they have on the market these days.

Of course, if there is a specific issue, like acne, then you may need a more aggressive, but temporary solution.

Trusted Contributor

I do and I'm 59 1/2. I use multiple products right now but if you don't currently exfoliate, please start slowly and work your way up so you don't irritate or injure your skin. I'm currently using Makeup Artists Choice Radiance peel once a week. Daily I use Clairisonic when I clean my face followed by Makeup Artists Choice Mandelic Acid toner and I also am using Paula's Choice 8% AHA gel followed by serums and moisturizer. Not sure if I will repurchase this as it is a thick gel and sometimes my products seem to pill from it. You only need a small dab and I rub it between fingers before rubbing it into skin. The bottle is a good size so this will last a long time, maybe even up to a year. Paula's Choice recommends this product for dry/very dry skin so you can see that she recommends exfolliants for dry skin as well. They take the dead, dry skin off to reveal new skin underneath. That dry, dead skin can make the surface of your skin look awful and older than you are. If you wear makeup, it also does not make a smooth surface for your makeup to sit on. All the other ladies have good advice here too, the key is to finding what works for you and to be gentle so you do not cause injury or stress to your skin. Retinol/retin-A is also an exfolliant so take that into consideration when choosing the products you use.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Super Contributor

I love the newer St. Ives citrus scrub. It reminds me of Origins Modern Friction. Not nearly as harsh as the older St. Ives peach. Very fine like sand. I use it a couple of times a week in the shower.
Honored Contributor

I exfoliate once a week and use a pore refining facial wash with alpha hydroxy.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I think exfolliation is more important in out 50's and 60's than it was when we were younger. It's those dead skin cells that lead to that grayish, dull complexion that so many older women have. Gentle exfolliation removes those dead cells. I don't spend a fortune on skin care products and I don't use a bunch of different products. I'm using Aveeno products now, my cleanser has has exfolliation beads and my cleanser and moisturizer have brighteners. I haven't experienced any wrinkles or sagging yet; my chief concern now is the brigtness and texture of my skin.