Honored Contributor

image.png

Has anyone tried this yet?  I just got my bottle and will try it tonight.

I am devoted to Seche Vite top coat, so it will take something really good to get me to switch.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

Re: Esse Gel Setter Top Coat

I have it and it's a good top coat but it doesn't make my polish last without chipping like it advertises. It is really shiny though.

Respected Contributor

I just switched from Seche Vite to the gel setter. So far, I've used it twice. To avoid brush marks, you have to apply it pretty thick. It doesn't dry nearly as fast as Seche, but if you've got 45 minutes to an hour to lounge around, you'll be good to go. It does dry to the touch within a few minutes but it's still soft for a little while. Also, no shrinkage!!!! I went about 4-5 days before it chipped. I usually go 6-7 with Seche or HK Girl. But the Essie ingredient deck is slightly healthier.
Respected Contributor

PS....the two times I've used it so far, I did my nails, watched tv for an hour, then went to bed. No lines, wrinkles or dents when I woke up. So that's good!
Honored Contributor

Thanks @Rachb

I used it tonight.  My experience was the same as yours.

If I have time, I will use it. Otherwise, I will use the Seche Vite.

I also do water aerobics, so I will be interested to see how this works in relation to being in the pool 3x a week.

One thing I'm not happy about is that I use Esse Sugar Daddy, which is a very pale/nude color and it it making it take on a reddish haze.  I look like I have a nail disease or something.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

That's strange. I have sugar daddy and several other Essie sheer pinks, but I've only used the gel setter with dark colors so far.
Honored Contributor

Yes, I've used it.

I found that it dried almost as quickly as my beloved Seche Vite and stayed super shiny. I was almost completely sold on it, but began to notice that my manicures did not last as long with Gel Setter as they did with Seche Vite. I can easily go through a week with Seche Vite, but Gel Setter would chip after 2-3 days.

I say it's definitely worth a try, though.

Respected Contributor

I have been using Essie for a few months now and I am surprised I am impressed!  I have been a SV user for years and I have not missed it once.

Occasional Contributor

I've been using it for about three weeks and I haven't had any problem with chipping and it does a good job protecting my nails as well.  It's dry in about ten minutes for me and like one other member said - when I woke up the next morning I didn't have any marks, dents, etc. on my nails.  I did use two coats because I have my hands in water a fair amount.  I really liked the look after the second coat - just like gel polish at the salon!

Honored Contributor

Best 2 top coats on the market by far are Poshe and Sally Hansen Mega Shine Extended Wear, they both dry shiny like glass and in less than a minute, they beat Seche by a mile. They dry so smooth they even hide imperfections in yoour manicure.