Respected Contributor

My skin has become drier and sometimes flaky from Retin-A use, hormones, etc.

So I've taken to using heavier moisturizers to combat the feeling of too tight skin.  They help, but then I get breakouts.

You know how your skin almost hurts from dryness?  So then I use facial oils or heavy moisturizer to combat it.  Within a short time, my skin breaks out.

I am not sure there is anything one can do about this.  Anyone else?

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

@hyacinth003 I think we have similar skin and isssues and I use RA, too. I cannot use oils.  They make my skin worse.  I have two things that help:  Creme de La Mer.  It WORKS.  Vanicream in the big jar.  I use La Mer and layer Vanicream over it for super dryness.  Worth a try for you.

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003,

From your description, I suspect that you do not have dry skin, you have dehydrated skin with a compromised skin barrier.  At any rate, what you are doing isn't working for you.  Listen to your dry, flaky skin because it is telling you that it's not happy with your skin care routine.

Here is an article from Paula Begoun that describes the difference between dry and dehydrated skin.  But, I don't think she goes far enough with the explanation without trying to sell you some of her products.

Here is another blog post that also describes dry vs. dehydrated skin, without trying to sell you stuff.  Plus, here is a blog post about how to hydrate skin using a hydrating toner.  This post discusses humectants and what ingredients to look for in skin care products for hydration.  And, here is another blog post about how to choose a moisturizer for your skin type.

I also use a retinoid, have an acne-prone, oily t-zone, and use CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream over the retinoid.  This is a very thick cream but it is non-greasy, fragrance-free, noncomedogenic, intensely hydrating and is loaded with ceramides to help restore the skin barrier.  It only takes a little bit, no need to slather it on.  I have not had any breakouts from this cream, a miracle in my book.  Personally, I stay away from using facial oils or heavy creams suitable for dry skin because they *always* cause breakouts.

You may need to cut back on your use of the retinoid until your skin is repaired and then slowly reintroduce it back into your routine. 

Esteemed Contributor

How long have you been using Retin A? If you are using Retin A, then consult your dermatologist. It sounds like the strength or the formulation or the periodic use needs to be adjusted. You should not have to compensate for dryness like that.

Honored Contributor

In any rate, I'd go to a dermatolist.  

You can spend much more money trying different products and waiting to see if you get results while possibly making the problem worse or creating clogged pores.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dry skin then breakouts

[ Edited ]

Some times really dry skin can be caused from your skin needing to be exfoliated.  You might want to give a gentle exfoliationg product a try, if you don't already use one. 

(Edited:  I thought a gentle exfoliator could be used with Retin A, but I could be wrong?)

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Esteemed Contributor

I have dry, sensitive skin with a ton of allergies.  I will get breakouts and reactions from any product that is too concentrated or harsh. I have had the best luck with Dr Denese skincare line of products. It's highly concentrated but it goes on very sheer. You only need the  smallest amount to help your skin. I know they say that you can apply a bit more than I probably do but this is the system that works for me.

I use the hydroshiel serum -am & pm....only four drops for my entire face

MD33 Eye (both upper & lower ) night time only

Dream cream---daytime moisutrizer (can be used as a nightime moisturizer and neck cream)

Wrinkle Defense for face and neck---night time only

I hope you have the same good luck as I do with these products.

Respected Contributor

back off the RA (every other night) and use a light mosturizer. The RA should exfoliate and you may be irritated to where your skin says, "Uncle".

I like RA but I cannot use nightly.

Honored Contributor

Stop with the Retin-A and you will be fine.  Hormones never had any affect on my skin.  Do you think the Retin-A will make you look 10 years younger?  I don't understand the hype.  I don't mean you personally will look 10 years younger but women in general that use it which would include you.  sorry.  I have heard this before about peeling skin & dryness.  Not worth it.  Cat Indifferent

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Re: Dry skin then breakouts

[ Edited ]

@I like celery wrote:

Some times really dry skin can be caused from your skin needing to be exfoliated.  You might want to give a gentle exfoliationg product a try, if you don't already use one. 

(I thought a gentle exfoliator could be used with Retin A, but I could be wrong?)

♥ Life is beauty full ♥