Honored Contributor

Re: Dry frizzy hair

[ Edited ]

@gillsburg wrote:

I have natural

redhair  which  I color occasionally for some

greys. My hair is naturally wavy, wiry ,frizzy ,and very dry. I have tried every product I can think of.   Please give me ome

new ideas. Thanks 

@gillsburg   The big decision is whether you want a short term or long term fix for frizz. Short term you can use oils, silicones, flat irons, etc.

In the long run, your hair will be more damaged and much more frizzy. The grey areas will be more dry. The rest of your hair may be dry, frizzy and wiry from coloring (uses peroxide to open the cuticle and deposit color), heat styling, not deep conditioning and maybe using products w/ silicones and sulfates. 

I had to go cold turkey with my curls to prevent frizz. I stopped coloring...which is not for everyone, but there are semi-permanent colors which are less damaging. I stopped using silicones, sulfates & products with oils that coat hair and dry it further.

Try to wash your hair less and deep condition at least once a week with a moisturizing conditioner...many hair types are sensitive to protein types of conditioner and stylers and will further dry out your hair. The days I don't use shampoo, I just use regular conditioner in the shower. Styling products need to be checked as well...no silicones and no alcohol is a biggie. Limit the heat styling & check that dryer or heat tools are on low heat. Velcro rollers can be used w/ shower cap during a shower to refresh hair styles.

I can't recommend enough using a satin pillow case to prevent your hair from dragging along, breaking, frizzing and drying out. The cotton absorbs the moisture. Microfiber towels instead of cotton terry ones are a must. The little loops tear, break off hair and add to the frizz. 

***Here's the shocker: all the hair on your head is dead. The only hair that matters and what you can help to put hair in good health is the hair growing from your scalp. Point? Your scalp health is very important. You can exfoliate it to keep the scalp from being dry and increase oils, blood flow, open follicles and help new hairs to grow. Cutting back on heat also helps not to dry out the scalp. Google scalp help for more pointers on foods that help like ones with Omega fatty acids. 

Your scalp is an extension of your face. Would you use harsh chemicals, heat, silicone products and drying products on your face? A healthy scalp makes for healthy hair. If you're truly frustrated, you can think about a shorter hairstyle so that damaged hair is cut off little by little and gives your new growth a fresh start. Hope some of these ideas help you. Good luck with this.

Regular Contributor
I use Wen and find his 613 shine serum works wonders. I also love the tweaked spray in revitalizing hair treatment mist
Honored Contributor

@author  You read that entire post? Wow!!!

Respected Contributor

@Shanus 

Yes, I read the entire post!  Most of it I already knew and have tried, and have to say my hair is a zillion percent better than it was a year ago!

It's bouncy, shiny and has body, my grey streaks and highlights (!) look so pretty, and I have my curl back. 

I do not use flat irons anymore, just a great Chi curling iron on low heat to lightly and quickly run thru areas that need some help like the crown. 

I use fewer products, but better products and I actually can look in a mirror during the day without fussing with my hair and think it looks great, a real breakthrough.

The Brioggio (sp?) deep conditioner once a week is great, for scalp too.  Love Playa shampoo and conditioner, but switching around a bit is also very good for my hair.  Sometimes I order those hair sampler kits from Sephora.

Thanks for your tips, so helpful!

Honored Contributor

@author wrote:

@Shanus 

Yes, I read the entire post!  Most of it I already knew and have tried, and have to say my hair is a zillion percent better than it was a year ago!

It's bouncy, shiny and has body, my grey streaks and highlights (!) look so pretty, and I have my curl back. 

I do not use flat irons anymore, just a great Chi curling iron on low heat to lightly and quickly run thru areas that need some help like the crown. 

I use fewer products, but better products and I actually can look in a mirror during the day without fussing with my hair and think it looks great, a real breakthrough.

The Brioggio (sp?) deep conditioner once a week is great, for scalp too.  Love Playa shampoo and conditioner, but switching around a bit is also very good for my hair.  Sometimes I order those hair sampler kits from Sephora.

Thanks for your tips, so helpful!

@author   Although you hadn't asked for the advice, I'm happy you're on the right track and have had wonderful results. Being an aesthetician (besides being difficult to spell 🤪) for a few decades, I've gained lots of knowledge on skin, hair, etc. Love to share it with others. 

Honored Contributor

Are you using conditioner?  Any othe products?  John Frieda's Frizz Ease Secret Weapon is good.  

My hair is wavy and tends to frizz up in the humdity.  I mix a couple of conditioners (drop of each).  If I'm going someplace - I'll use a gel on my damp hair and let it air dry.  Comb, not brush.   A bit of holding spray - no frizz.

For "not going anyplace" - some Frizz Ease and air dry.

Valued Contributor

Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo and the matching conditioner have made a huge difference in my hair.  

Honored Contributor

@Glittergal   I use the Shea Moisture Deep Conditioning Masks. They work great. 

Honored Contributor

My favorite is Matrix Total Results Miracle Creator leave in.  I've always hated products for frizz because I end up with a greasy look but this one didn't cause that.  It kept my frizz under control.

Regular Contributor

I have a suggestion - it's expensive but it's wonderful - Brazilian Blowout. I know some people are against them because of the ingredients so please don't attack me for suggesting this. I had a Brazilian done last week and my hair is like beautiful silk. My hair stylist did it a little differently this time to ensure I keep my body but all curling and frizz is gone. I hope you find something that makes you feel better about your hair.