Honored Contributor

Drug store/foundations/nude lipstick, etc.

Since there have been a lot of discussions centering around requests for drug store lipsticks and foundations and best foundations in general, I thought I would share.

Using recommendations from the forum and then researching some you tube blogs, etc. I tried different, less expensive drug store foundations. I found out that I am an NC15 shade (porcelain with pink undertones). Rimmel/Almay/Maybelline Super Stay... sadly, these are all going into the "X'' file (trash) for one reason or another. Too yellow; turning orange; leaving my skin rashy; un-pretty finish... all of these are reasons. The one that finally worked OK is Cover Girl Ready Set Gorgeous in #105.

The best is not a drug store purchase, it is a MAC foundation in shade NC15. This one may finally allow me to never purchase my discontinued foundation (on the market where they charge sky-high amounts if I can even find one.)

The lipsticks: NYX Thalia is a good non-color color. With a liner, it takes on some subtle color. I like it -- the formula is more moisurizing for me than the Revlon Color Butter in Fig Jam. HTH

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Drug store/foundations/nude lipstick, etc.

Try loreal tru match lumi. They have tons of shades. They are broken up into the cool, neutral, and deep. I am a neutral ivory. You would probably be the cool in the lightest shade.
Trusted Contributor

I just found two nude lipstick colors that I really like. They are both by Flower Cosmetics and are exclusive to Walllyworld--in stores and online. The first is Baby Buttercup--LS22. It is a nude pink. The second is Apricot Blossom--LS23, and is slightly darker and a little more peach. They both have great coverage and retail for $6.98. I tried them because there were a lot of positive comments about them, including Beautypedia's review.

I tried NYX round tube lipsticks but returned them since they tasted like soap to me.

Baby Buttercup is an exact dupe for Rimmel's Let's Get Naked, which is my all time favorite. The lipstick was discontinued and then it came back with the same name but a new formulation. I can't stand the taste of the new formula so I am always on the hunt for something new.

Honored Contributor

loves, If you are interested, I purchased a clear lip liner by e.l.f. for $3.00 at iherb.com. This way you can use with any shade of lipstick and it does keep the lipstick on your lips and not bleeding out. iherb.com offers free shpg. with $20 purchase and carries really nice brands. With foundations, I pay a little more to get a better match with my complexion as I am a fair/light with neutral or pink undertones.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

lovestoteach - Thanks for the review.

I'm surprised or confused though that you say NC15 is your match with MAC if you are porcelain with pink undertones. Yellow undertones are NC in MAC and pink undertones are the shades designated NW. It's sort of the opposite of what one would think. The 15 makes sense of course for porcelain as that's about as light as it gets, I do believe.

Just curious, which foundation is it in the MAC line. Stuidio Fix? Or one of their others?

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Honored Contributor

On 1/21/2015 MrsSweetieBear said:

lovestoteach - Thanks for the review.

I'm surprised or confused though that you say NC15 is your match with MAC if you are porcelain with pink undertones. Yellow undertones are NC in MAC and pink undertones are the shades designated NW. It's sort of the opposite of what one would think. The 15 makes sense of course for porcelain as that's about as light as it gets, I do believe.

Just curious, which foundation is it in the MAC line. Stuidio Fix? Or one of their others?

Hi, MrsSweetieBear... you are right... I'm checking the box right now and the shade is NW15 -- I keep forgetting about MAC -- doesn't this mean "not warm?" wish they wouldn't have done it that way! LOL The name of the foundation is Studio Sculpt. It has an SPF 15... the SA was in Dillard's (I got the helpful info from the forum here that the people in the MAC area of the dept store are more helpful than the "other" place!)

The SA did let me know that this is the lightest shade. I think he said that I would need to go to a larger dept store in Dallas to get the Studio Fix... but I am happy with this one. It is a liquid foundation with a bit of moisturizing ability.

Honored Contributor

I must add that with the drugstore foundations that I tried (the ones that didn't work out) the formulas "fell" into the pores on my face! So did some expensive ones, too.

Esteemed Contributor

The drugstore foundation which I think is quite good is Maybelline's Fit Me. The stick and the liquid are equally good in texture and wear. I would rate the quality of Fit Me to be better than more than a few, and able to hold its own against some of the finest foundations in the pricey prestige brand category.

I would highly recommend it for anyone looking to spend no more than $10 and hoping for a quality foundation.

Respected Contributor

I find the expensive brands to be a waste. I agree some can appear to be too yellow if you choose a wrong shade. I use Loreal blurr or the one with the serum absolute.

Esteemed Contributor

Foundations from drugstores are hard to get right, especially when most stores don't have testers which is why I like some London Drugs and Shoppers Drug Mart drugstores in Canada as most do have testers (but not in all colors). I have the Covergirl Ready, Set, Gorgeous foundation in shade 215 as I'm a light/medium in most shades of foundation. This has a light coverage with no scent to the product at all. I prefer the Covergirl Tru Blend foundation in L7 as that gives better coverage to my face but I still need an undereye concealer.