Honored Contributor
On 10/30/2014 HonnyBrown said:

The pregnancy tests, condoms and other products are there for a reason!

One year, Lifestyle condoms were at the dollar store. When I got home, I checked their website. Recall.

Darn .......... They should have had a big promotion ... Buy two boxes of condoms and get a free pregnancy test! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Trusted Contributor

I only buy wrapping paper, bows, gift tags, etc. from my local Family Dollar. I did buy a really cheap landline phone last year, for about $18 and it has worked fine. I rarely use it, so I didn't want to pay much.

Esteemed Contributor
On 10/30/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:
On 10/30/2014 HonnyBrown said:

The pregnancy tests, condoms and other products are there for a reason!

One year, Lifestyle condoms were at the dollar store. When I got home, I checked their website. Recall.

Darn .......... They should have had a big promotion ... Buy two boxes of condoms and get a free pregnancy test! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Love it!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Esteemed Contributor
On 10/30/2014 suzieQ4me said:

I only buy wrapping paper, bows, gift tags, etc. from my local Family Dollar. I did buy a really cheap landline phone last year, for about $18 and it has worked fine. I rarely use it, so I didn't want to pay much.

You also have to know your prices.

Traditional telephones are as low as $4 (not referring to what suzyQ bought) but the same model can be in a "dollar" store for $20.

Also, VO-5 shampoo and conditioner is around $1 in any grocery store in MD. The "dollar" store sells it for $4 each.

Valued Contributor
On 10/31/2014 HonnyBrown said:
On 10/30/2014 suzieQ4me said:

You also have to know your prices.

Traditional telephones are as low as $4 (not referring to what suzyQ bought) but the same model can be in a "dollar" store for $20.

Also, VO-5 shampoo and conditioner is around $1 in any grocery store in MD. The "dollar" store sells it for $4 each.

Family Dollar IS NOT a dollar store! A true dollar dollar store has NOTHING over a dollar. The one time I was in a Family Dollar, I saw nothing for a dollar, and what I did see was marked alot higher than I could buy it elswhere. I think the name makes people thing they are getting a bargain when they really are not.

Honored Contributor
On 10/30/2014 ShopMonkey said:
On 10/28/2014 kivah said:

Never buy food or makeup, toothpaste, cologne --- or anything u put on or in ur body from the Dollar-type stores. Most of the products are made in foreign countries (like China) and they try to make the packaging look like it's American made. They use toxic ingredients -- which are unsafe - below American standards. When u buy from ur local stores, the prices aren't that much more. You also don't know how old the products are. Don't take a chance.

Kivah, you are making dangerous and erroneous generalizations. When you buy a BRANDED product at a national retailer like DOLLAR TREE, you can rest assured that you are getting the real thing. Whether it is Nivea, Colgate, Oral B or whatever, they are not selling knock off products.

Yes, many of the stores' own brands are manufactured globally (including China) and price vs value is a decision to be made by the buyer. If the product has an expiration date, you can always look for that.

The one thing you do need to consider is that, when comparing prices, always make sure you know the product size (ounces, etc) and compare the unit prices.

ShopMonkey, you are also making dangerous and erroneous generalizations. WHICH real thing you're getting is the issue, not whether it's a counterfeit or not. This is not about counterfeit items, it's about manufacturing regulations in different markets around the world. You may be getting the REAL Crest made for South Africa, not the US. That's the problem. If the brand name toothpaste was manufactured for another market, it's manufactured to the standards of that country. Those standards may not be as high as US standards - and that may be for legitimate reasons. If a country does not have fluoridated water, they may allow higher fluoride content in their Crest toothpaste, while the US does not because then you'd be getting too much fluoride.

You can read more about it here: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/toothpaste.asp

Esteemed Contributor

You are absolutely correct!

There's a store called "$0.99 Only" where everything in the store, regardless of what it is, is $0.99.

Now THAT is a true dollar store! They were the "fancy" variety: a lot of name brand items, not knock offs or junk.

I bought a pound of tomatillos from there and ended up with 20 days of fruit flies.

Respected Contributor

We only have national brand chain dollar stores like Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, Big Lots and Dollar General. They carry name brand stuff, the real stuff. I don't do those off stores that are privately owned dollar stores. They are bound to carry anything with or without quality control. Stick to those stores with reputations that are nationally tied and not those off places.

Trusted Contributor

so should i use my toothpaste i got from dollar tree?? lol everday i look at the box & think of this topic.......

Frequent Contributor

Sorry,,I do not agree with most of you. Dollar tree is just fine. I've gotten many items for beauty , toothpaste, etc...they aren't knock offs. They arent trying to make them look like a certain brand. I really don't think you are right about that. As far as expiration dates,,they will be on the packaging,,just look for it. Ive gotten some maybelline, physician's formula etc..there because of misprints on labels,,,like saying it is light color when it is dark,,etc. Doesn't mean they are not good. "Just sayin"