Honored Contributor

In CA and many (most) stores have signs outside that only service dogs are allowed. Exception is pet stores where they encourage you to bring your dog in with you to shop.

Honored Contributor

I go to a salon in SoCal, and the receptionist ALWAYS has her dog there. In fact, the owner often brings his as well.

The receptionist's dog is small and easy to almost trip over. Sometimes she is sitting or lying up on the counter where you pay or buy products. I like dogs, but I find this to be extremely unprofessional.

I don't quite get the comparison between children and dogs, other than I prefer a fairly quiet session and would not enjoy screaming babies. Fortunately, that's not been a problem.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor
I love it. As long as the dog is not filthy and out of control, it makes me smile to see them out with their "Mom or Dad." The dogs I have seen in unexpected places are always friendly and well behaved. I'm sure there are some people who come into the salon who are less clean than some dogs.
Respected Contributor
Yes, there are signs posted about only service dogs are allowed but there is no enforcement. When asked, all the owner need do is lie. There was a dog in BBW. i asked the associate if dogs are allowed there and she just said "that customer always brings her dog." I am not making this up.
Respected Contributor

My hairdresser owns her own shop and has only one additional stylist. Thus the shop isn't usually really full of people. She has an adorable little Lhasa and brings him with her every day. He's beautifully behaved and I've never seen him need correction of any kind. He will come to the customers if they call him, or leave them alone if they want. I've never seen my stylist touch the dog during her business hours, but she talks to him lovingly and sees that he gets enough outside time. He knows me well and understands that I love him, so he spends a lot of time with me - often sits in my lap and gives kisses. It's never occurred to me that this was a nuisance or any sort of problem. He's also the cleanest pup I've ever seen (next to mine, of course.)

Respected Contributor

My stylist is the owner and she always has her dog there. He is very well behaved. I have not seen a customer bring their in though. I wouldn't mind as long as they are well behaved. I love dogs. I did see her dog jump up once on a customers lap, but it turned out to be her mother. Never has he jumped on my lap.

Respected Contributor

Just wondering why some ladies bring along their dog to their hair appointment? THis is ONE lady .....I think that this is an isolated case- Obviously, the SAlon Owner doesn't care-Maybe there is an arrangement-Is this person family, a best friend, etc., YES, it's inappropriate in any case!

Which Phila salon???

Frequent Contributor

Not that I would ever bring my dog into a place with all those fumes, that said, I can't imagine why someone would object. I've traveled abroad several times and dogs go to restaurants, shops, lots of places. I can't tell you what country allows what exactly but they are definitely allowed in more places than they are here.

My dog is house broken and well behaved. I brought her to an outdoor restaurant once and she was so entranced at the prospect of a scrap of food, she never moved an inch nor made a peep. I can't say the same for the children at the table next to us who were just being kids but had parents who thought their running around between all the tables was just adorable even though it made everyone else miserable.

I know a woman who would ban dogs from even outdoor places, stating they shouldn't be allowed anywhere but where they live. She nearly had a fist fight with a woman who brought a greyhound to a parade. Ever seen a greyhound? They don't make a peep. Her kids on the other hand.... It all boils down to the behavior of the dog...or the kids...and that is the human/adult's responsibility.

Honored Contributor

I don't think it's a matter of whether I or anyone else likes or doesn't like dogs. The fact is, we're talking about a business that I think should keep ALL of its clients in mind.

Some people simply don't like or feel comfortable around them or are very much afraid of them or are allergic or whatever. What if the dog should nip, bite, or scratch someone, as another poster mentioned? That would be a liability issue.

As much as many of us love our pets and consider them to be a part of our family, they are still animals. And if one employee or client brings in his or her dog, then that means that all employees and clients could do so.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor
On 1/23/2014 Bonnieshores said:

Not that I would ever bring my dog into a place with all those fumes, that said, I can't imagine why someone would object. I've traveled abroad several times and dogs go to restaurants, shops, lots of places. I can't tell you what country allows what exactly but they are definitely allowed in more places than they are here.

My dog is house broken and well behaved. I brought her to an outdoor restaurant once and she was so entranced at the prospect of a scrap of food, she never moved an inch nor made a peep. I can't say the same for the children at the table next to us who were just being kids but had parents who thought their running around between all the tables was just adorable even though it made everyone else miserable.

I know a woman who would ban dogs from even outdoor places, stating they shouldn't be allowed anywhere but where they live. She nearly had a fist fight with a woman who brought a greyhound to a parade. Ever seen a greyhound? They don't make a peep. Her kids on the other hand.... It all boils down to the behavior of the dog...or the kids...and that is the human/adult's responsibility.

Because there are people who either don't like animals and prefer not to be forced to interact with them, in any manner, in places where they eat, shop, conduct personal business, etc.