Trusted Contributor

Does argan oil go under or over moisturizer?

I'm having trouble with dry skin as the weather is changing and would like to incorporate some JM argan oil with my moisturizer.  Should I apply the oil first and then seal it in with the moisturizer?  Or does the oil go on last to seal in the moisturizer?  Maybe it doesn't make a difference but I swear I remember reading here once that there's a proper order to it.  Thanks!  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Re: Does argan oil go under or over moisturizer?

From what I understand, moisturizer acts as a barrier to seal it all in, so serums and things like argan oil would go on first with a moisterizer going on last. Though argan oil is supposed to act as a moisturizer, I don't believe an additional one is needed. But if you choose to use both, use the argan oil first.

Honored Contributor

I do astringent-Argon Oil-serum, then makeup. Love Argon oil.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks to Josie I almost never need moisturizer.  Normally I use argan oil light.  When my skin is extra dry I use the regular argan oil.  If I feel I need more I use the unscented body butter on my face.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori Her argan 'milk' is nice.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, I had a bad reaction to the argan milk.  My skin is very sensitive, it instantly turned bright red and was stinging for a long time.  Don't know what's in it that isn't in the body butter but I will never touch the argan milk again!!!!

Honored Contributor

I'd use moisturizer first and then argan oil on top.  Argan oil has difficulty sinking in.  If you use it first, your moisturizer won't really penetrate.  It will also slide off somewhat.  I use Argan last over Retin A.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Normally serums go first, but Argan oil is certainly not a thin-consistency, easy to penetrate serum.  Thus, afterwards.  IMO

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Judaline, I had a bad reaction to the argan milk.  My skin is very sensitive, it instantly turned bright red and was stinging for a long time.  Don't know what's in it that isn't in the body butter but I will never touch the argan milk again!!!!

Really??? OMgosh I wonder which ingredient did it? I use it on occasion but have pretty much changed brands. Manuela of Isomers has said (she's a scientist so I listen but don't use her stuff anymore) that oils may feel good and look good, but will eventually stretch (not clog) your pores. I don't think any of Isomers products have oil of any kind in them.

Respected Contributor

I'm not sure if there is a proper way or not, but I just put a drop or three in my moisturizer or body lotion in my hand and slather away. Winter is so harsh on everything! Argan makes everything silky!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield