Honored Contributor

I keep some of my makeup way longer than I ought to. Cool but not daily-wearable lip colors and eyeshadow kits especially. But if it looks or smells or lays down weird, toss.

Seems to me that when you sharpen a makeup pencil, you are working with clean fresh(ish) product. It's a matter of whether any oil in the item has gone off. If you keep powder products dry and closed up, they should stay good for quite a while. Mascara dries out on me too fast for it to get old.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

I judge each item by how it looks or performs. To me it's usually pretty obvious when something has gone bad. Powder shadows or blushes harden and stop giving pigment or are discolored, same with eye liners, they harden and don't glide on anymore. Lipstick and gloss changes texture and color. Liquid foundation separates or smells bad. Mascara is one that I usually do toss after a few months, especially if it starts to dry out or get clumpy. If I'm using it ever day, some get clumpy and dry out faster than 3 months.

Super Contributor

Only mascara. I toss it after about 3-4 months.

Super Contributor

Heavens, no!

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Honored Contributor

I have a very strict hard and fast rule .........

I NEVER keep any makeup item longer than twenty years!

Esteemed Contributor

Just my mascara. Powder products I will keep for much longer. I have blush in my makeup drawers that is from 2005 I think.

Liquid products I keep a closer eye on though. I may have some liquid foundations that are maybe a year old but I don't keep them much longer than that and I haven't had a problem.

I have so many products that there is no possible way is H E L L that I could use them up that quickly.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor
On 6/4/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I NEVER keep any makeup item longer than twenty years! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

We just moved house and I found some lipsticks in an old handbag that are at least 15 years old. The colors were discontinued and I thought I'd lost them a long time ago. It was like meeting an old friend, I was delighted to see them again. They smell just fine.

Honored Contributor

I think some of these timelines are just to make sure we toss and have to buy more. I wear mostly LG and it is baked and lasts forever even when I use it daily.....I toss mascara when it gets clumpy in the tube and lipstick when it no longer goes on without dragging.

Super Contributor
On 6/4/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I NEVER keep any makeup item longer than twenty years!

Thank goodness I am not alone....I have bare minerals from WAY back that I stocked up on...lipsticks I only toss if they smell bad... The only thing I toss more often is mascara....but that is all!
Respected Contributor

I just give it the sniff test. If toss that sucker and get some fun new stuff.