Regular Contributor

Re: Do you really think those little shavers to remove hair (facial) are a good idea?

I am not saying it's true or not but ... When I was a teen back in the late 60's, Mothers told daughters their hair would grow back darker and thicker to discourage us from using Daddy's razor to shave our legs. Our only other choice was an electric razor not at all satisfactory. So why did only the hair above my ankles get darker? Of course taking off a few layers of skin and seeing the blood running down our legs caused most of us to stop razor shaving. For me, I couldn't hide the damage from Daddy so HE DECIDED I would never again use his straight razor. The scars still remain on my legs. So we get older and the hair slows growing on our legs, gets softer and lighter but facial hair increases! Another unfair thing regarding aging. So I use a 10X magnifying mirror and pluck daily, use cream hair remover, use the $9.99 shaver and have my brows professionally waxed. But do you think I would use a razor to shave my face? Well no. How would I explain the band aids if I nicked my face? You have to laugh. Crying doesn't help. Girlfriends make deals to keep each other "groomed" if we're in the hospital and unable to do it for ourselves. Thank goodness no hair is growing out of my ears! Ladies, remember stick together. Only together can we survive!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you really think those little shavers to remove hair (facial) are a good idea?

Yes, Penellope, I'm 65 and I know that as women age, a few dark wiry hairs show up on the face and neck. But, thanks for pointing out that you think some of us are idiots. My eyebrows and eyelashes are getting thinner, and the peachfuzz on my face is getting thicker. Oh, the joys of getting older! However, I decided to start shaving the blonde fuzz on my upper lip and chin and now have black, straight, thick-as-a-toothpick hair in exactly the places where I shave regularly (just above the corners of my mouth and the dip in my chin). Where I don't shave, I still have peachfuzz, so I blame my razor. I wish I would've plucked those few wild hairs. Where I pluck regularly, I still have fuzz. Where I shave, I have steelwool.

Everybody's different.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

On 12/27/2014 chrystaltree said:
On 12/27/2014 Buck-i-Nana said:
On 12/27/2014 chrystaltree said: .......anyone who KNOWS anything at all about human anatomy knows that hair is DEAD tissue and therefore, shaving it cannot make what is under the skin grow faster ot thicker or darker. That's just an old wives tale.

Then how do you explain my personal experience? It's definitely not in my imagination! It may not happen to many women, but it most certainly can and does happen to some of us.

You are getting older and this is what happens. You may be taking a new medication that causes it. Your hormones are changing. It isn't the shaving.

If it were true, bald men would shave like crazy until their hair grew back. Men's beards get coarser over the years as they age, not because they shave.

Women's hair changes as they age two. It changes everywhere on your body on most of us.

Regular Contributor

On 12/27/2014 tototwo said:

Yes, Penellope, I'm 65 and I know that as women age, a few dark wiry hairs show up on the face and neck. But, thanks for pointing out that you think some of us are idiots. My eyebrows and eyelashes are getting thinner, and the peachfuzz on my face is getting thicker. Oh, the joys of getting older! However, I decided to start shaving the blonde fuzz on my upper lip and chin and now have black, straight, thick-as-a-toothpick hair in exactly the places where I shave regularly (just above the corners of my mouth and the dip in my chin). Where I don't shave, I still have peachfuzz, so I blame my razor. I wish I would've plucked those few wild hairs. Where I pluck regularly, I still have fuzz. Where I shave, I have steelwool.

Everybody's different.

Like I just said, getting older is tough enough on us women as Mother Nature picks on us, so we have to stick together! Oh yeah, if you ever see a hair on my face that doesn't belong - PLEASE TELL ME! I carry tweezers with me.
Super Contributor

The only place I have peach fuzz is around the chin area and for probably at least 10 years I've been using a little gadget called Finishing Touch

Finishing Touch or similar hair removers are perfect for facial hair grooming. You can get them at Walgreens, Wal-Mart ect. Facial hair removal buffer pads also work well too.

The Finishing Touch is very precise, and is designed to remove facial hair, and it is much safer and easier to use then a razor, IMO.

Respected Contributor

On 12/27/2014 Sooner said:
On 12/27/2014 chrystaltree said: .......anyone who KNOWS anything at all about human anatomy knows that hair is DEAD tissue and therefore, shaving it cannot make what is under the skin grow faster ot thicker or darker. That's just an old wives tale.

Then how do you explain my personal experience? It's definitely not in my imagination! It may not happen to many women, but it most certainly can and does happen to some of us.

You are getting older and this is what happens. You may be taking a new medication that causes it. Your hormones are changing. It isn't the shaving.

If it were true, bald men would shave like crazy until their hair grew back. Men's beards get coarser over the years as they age, not because they shave.

Women's hair changes as they age two. It changes everywhere on your body on most of us.

Sooner, you are totally correct. It would have happened, shaving or not.

Respected Contributor

On 12/27/2014 mima said:
On 12/27/2014 Sooner said:

Sooner, you are totally correct. It would have happened, shaving or not.

Interesting that you all seem to know better than my family Dr and my dermatologist! Oh well, once again, must be amazing to be you all!

Honored Contributor

Think about it... If you were not already seeing the start of changes happening on the inside you would not be thinking about removing the facial hair in the first place. The changes continue. The shaving does not cause them.

Respected Contributor

On 12/27/2014 willdob3 said:

Think about it... If you were not already seeing the start of changes happening on the inside you would not be thinking about removing the facial hair in the first place. The changes continue. The shaving does not cause them.

I've been having some of these issues since I was in my 20s.

I didn't say it happens to everyone, just offered a heads-up of what to look for and think about before taking a razor or anything else to your face.

Contributor

I started using a facial trimmer several years ago after seeing my chin's peach fuzz, highlighted by the sun, in a picture. Only trouble is, the trimmer doesn't get the chin hair and I use a razor for it. I use the razor twice a day if I'm going out because I feel it hours later.