Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a preferred skincare line or do you mix things up?

On 2/6/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 2/6/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 2/6/2014 Harpa said:

Addendum about the peptides.

What I know is, my skin looks better now (a couple years later) without them, and nothing appreciably with them. Which is really the reason why I stopped using them.

When I stopped using them, I was a little concerned that I would go in some kind of skin regression. But that never happened.

this has been my experience with peptides as well. If they are in a product I want to try that is fine but I do not go out of my way to find one that does contain them.

Uh-oh. My NCN Matrixyl serum will be arriving today. Oh, well, it's worth a try.

suzy, many love peptides, I just found for my skin they really didn't seem to do anything amazing that I could pinpoint. It certainly didn't hurt my skin by any means, I just don't go out of my way to find a product that contains them. And you can see by another poster, she loves them and they are the only thing that really changed her skin. Oh and hey, perhaps when I tried them (awhile back, well before I really was into researching skincare ingredients and really understanding what I was buying), I wasn't using a product that had a good amount of peptides in them and the NCN's looks like a really good one so that might make a difference? I will be curious to hear what results you see- please keep us informed.

Thanks, HD. The serum is a tad pricey, hence my concern.

Funny you should mention results or the lack thereof. I wonder sometimes whether anything I do really makes much of a difference. I don't expect more than minor changes, but that's the problem. They may be so minor that I can't tell. So I keep on using, just in case.

Sounds kind of crazy, but then I wonder what I would or will look like if I DIDN'T use any skincare.

Does it sound as if I'm talking to myself here? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I am faithful to one line that is purely organic. If I do add anything to 'the mix' it would be an organic oil (one ingredient only).

Why mess with perfection?

Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Funny you should mention results or the lack thereof. I wonder sometimes whether anything I do really makes much of a difference. I don't expect more than minor changes, but that's the problem. They may be so minor that I can't tell. So I keep on using, just in case.

Sounds kind of crazy, but then I wonder what I would or will look like if I DIDN'T use any skincare.

haha, no I totally understand. I think alot of times, you may not see any specific, tangible results but that doesn't mean it isn't doing any good. As you noted, who knows if you didn't use the products if your skin would look more wrinkled, saggy, etc?I personally am not going to take that risk, lol.

In my opinion, it is like many irritants, you may not actually see the irritation but it is there and is causing underlying damage that will manifest over time so it is best to avoid them. I feel that way about good skincare ingredients that have been scientifically proven over time to support and protect the skin, like vitamin C, retinol, ferulic acid, etc.- that even if we don't outwardly see some significant change, the benefits are there and cumulative (to a degree). Think about SPF- we don't "see" it doing anything for our skin on a day to day basis but boy if you never used it, can you imagine what your skin would look like over time? Do you want to take that risk?? lol.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense? Just my thoughts.

Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2014 suzyQ3 said:

haha, no I totally understand. I think alot of times, you may not see any specific, tangible results but that doesn't mean it isn't doing any good. As you noted, who knows if you didn't use the products if your skin would look more wrinkled, saggy, etc?I personally am not going to take that risk, lol.

In my opinion, it is like many irritants, you may not actually see the irritation but it is there and is causing underlying damage that will manifest over time so it is best to avoid them. I feel that way about good skincare ingredients that have been scientifically proven over time to support and protect the skin, like vitamin C, retinol, ferulic acid, etc.- that even if we don't outwardly see some significant change, the benefits are there and cumulative (to a degree). Think about SPF- we don't "see" it doing anything for our skin on a day to day basis but boy if you never used it, can you imagine what your skin would look like over time? Do you want to take that risk?? lol.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense? Just my thoughts.

It makes perfect sense to me, but I don't know whether that's a comforting thought to you or not. Hahaha.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Let's just say I've made peace with that {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}! I have experienced some tangible results with some of my products. The BHA lotion from PC has stopped flakey patches I use to have and the vitamin C serum has faded a few freckles I've had all my life and given my skin a more "plumpness". I've also noticed a more even skintone which is pretty good result since my skin is so light, any bit of discoloration looks pretty noticeable.

Valued Contributor

I have used only Clinique for almost 35 years. I have used different face creams of Clinique's throughout the years. I will be 60 this year and many of my friends don't believe me. I have oily skin and live in an area of the US that has almost 100% humidity. I don't go out in the sun anymore. I will never change.
Contributor

I have a health condition that makes me highly allergic to many cosmetics. There was a period of 2 years I couldn't wear ANY makeup! It burned my skin. I read about the first mineral makeup (you rarely hear about it) in a health magazine years ago called La Bella Donna (often sold at spas and on line though that is hard as you need your colors done). When I try something else (a few things will work.....but for my skin, their mineral line is incredible....only 4 incredients and so natural looking.......the best mineral makeup I've ever used. I can use all their products without a problem except their skin gel which is about $200.

Trusted Contributor

Do you agree with Paula B. that jar packaging is bad and worthless to buy?

Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2014 dperry said:

Do you agree with Paula B. that jar packaging is bad and worthless to buy?

It isn't just her opinion- there are scientific studies showing that certain ingredients, like vitamin C, are degraded with continued exposure to light and air. I knew this before I read it on Paula's website.

So it isn't really a matter of "agreeing" with her, it is proven fact so yes, jar packaging or even packaging with a pump but a clear bottle are not ideal at all for products containing certain ingredients that are sensitive to exposure to air and light.

Valued Contributor

I'm a mixer.