Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have a favorite perfume?

[ Edited ]

I have a number of them that I wear, but my my favorite for 40 years has been Chanel 19.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like many of the French classics--  L'heure Bleue by Guerlain,  Nuit de Noel by Caron, Rive Gauche by Yves St. Laurent, Calandre by Paco Rabanne, Caleche by Hermes, and Vent Vert by Balmain( that was one of Jackie Onassis' favorites.)

But most are too expensive for me.  So I've made a game of finding great scents at lower or "drugstore" prices.  Some I really like:

Ici by Coty--  Ici is one of the few great scents with an actual "cocoa" undertone that is mesmerizing!   Just a tiny hint of chocolate, plus other heady elements, including vanilla.

Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli--  It's a dead ringer for the more expensive "L'air du Temps".   An airy, delicate floral.

Toujours Moi by Corday (I think)--  A deep Oriental scent that is soft, non-invasive and long-lasting.

L'Origan by Coty--   Another sultry Oriental that was the "signature scent" of ballerina Karin von Aroldingen, one of George Balanchine's favorite dancers.

Charlie by Revlon--  This one is a bit more controversial-- it is pretty persistent and noticeable!  But for some reason it works with my chemistry and I get compliments on it.  What I love is the deep note of carnations you can detect in it.  My mother wore it, along with Halston by Halston and Quelque Fleurs by Houbigant.  I thought she always smelled wonderful...

Honored Contributor

I prefer the Oriental fragrances.  The usual suspects: Shalimar, Casmir, Toujours Moi, Tabu, Obsession, Youth Dew – all those sultry, heavy, exotic scents that have, over the years, become too assertive to wear in mixed company.  I keep them, and all their friends that smell similar, and enjoy them at home.

When I venture out, I spray it safe.  I wear philosophy pure grace spritz to work.  I recently bought falling in love spritz and I’m not a fan of berry scents, but I’ve been spraying this all over myself ever since it arrived.  Go figure.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I like many of the French classics--  L'heure Bleue by Guerlain,  Nuit de Noel by Caron, Rive Gauche by Yves St. Laurent, Calandre by Paco Rabanne, Caleche by Hermes, and Vent Vert by Balmain( that was one of Jackie Onassis' favorites.)

But most are too expensive for me.  So I've made a game of finding great scents at lower or "drugstore" prices.  Some I really like:

Ici by Coty--  Ici is one of the few great scents with an actual "cocoa" undertone that is mesmerizing!   Just a tiny hint of chocolate, plus other heady elements, including vanilla.

Wind Song by Prince Matchabelli--  It's a dead ringer for the more expensive "L'air du Temps".   An airy, delicate floral.

Toujours Moi by Corday (I think)--  A deep Oriental scent that is soft, non-invasive and long-lasting.

L'Origan by Coty--   Another sultry Oriental that was the "signature scent" of ballerina Karin von Aroldingen, one of George Balanchine's favorite dancers.

Charlie by Revlon--  This one is a bit more controversial-- it is pretty persistent and noticeable!  But for some reason it works with my chemistry and I get compliments on it.  What I love is the deep note of carnations you can detect in it.  My mother wore it, along with Halston by Halston and Quelque Fleurs by Houbigant.  I thought she always smelled wonderful...

@Oznell - Oh my, I was so glad when the popularity of Charlie faded!  I am so deathly allergic to something in that fragrance.  I was at work one day when someone came in wearing it and the moment they stepped out on the floor from the elevator I started sneezing violently, my eyes swelled up and I started wheezing! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

@Oznell

Yes!  Originally it was manufactured by Corday and when I was in high school I became addicted, so my poor family scoured all the major department stores one Christmas to find every Toujours Moi holiday item that was in the shape of a unicorn.  I still have, in their original boxes, these ceramic and glass unicorns.

Curious, I bought some Toujours Moi by Dana and, to me, it has the same affect.

Corday

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Oh, how fabulous to have Toujours Moi bottles in the shape of unicorns! (One of my favorite "animals", ha)   I never knew they did that!  I bet they are hot collectibles and you are so lucky to have them.

I have hung on somewhere to some old, empty bottles I have of "Bal a Versailles" and "Je Reviens"---  they are very evocative reminders of loveliness...

Honored Contributor

Oh, and just bee, I bet the Dana company bought out Corday.  I haven't checked my bottle recently, but mine is probably Dana too.  So glad they haven't messed up the formula...

Honored Contributor

Buck-I-Nana, I know!  Some people have a very negative reaction to Charlie-- it seems to be polarizing.  I have to let it "settle down" quite a bit before I even dare go outside!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a love hate relationship with perfume.  Many scents (mentioned already) can give me an instant headache just smelling them on someone else.  

For that reason, I try to choose light floral/fruity scents.  I used to adore several Jo Malone offerings, but mixed with my chemistry, they have no staying power.  

Currently, I have several Tocca scents--Stella being my favorite.  

I am also enjoying several Lollia scents, with I Can Still Smell the Rain being a favorite.  

Honored Contributor

I don't wear fragrance but I have Perlier's Lavande edt spray and I love the smell of it! I spray it on my bed pillow and it's so nice. Problem is I can't find it anymore and I'm almost to the end of the bottle.Woman Sad I've even tried to make my own lavender spray with essential oil but it's not the same as the Perlier.