Respected Contributor

Re: Do you always use setting powder?

I've never used it. My skin is dry enough.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

If you're using a liquid foundation or tinted moisturizer (or similar product) then, yes, you need to set it.

Your makeup should NOT come off on your phone, or someone's clothing if you give them a quick hug ..... yikes, what a mess!        

No, not everyone does. I don't have any of my makeup transfer on clothing or phones ever and I've never used one and use liquid BB creams or TM most of the time. You really cannot make blanket statements as everyone is different.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

If you're using a liquid foundation or tinted moisturizer (or similar product) then, yes, you need to set it.

Your makeup should NOT come off on your phone, or someone's clothing if you give them a quick hug ..... yikes, what a mess!        

No, not everyone does. I don't have any of my makeup transfer on clothing or phones ever and I've never used one and use liquid BB creams or TM most of the time. You really cannot make blanket statements as everyone is different.

Well, then, you must be very unusual ..... maybe your skin is very dry?

Nevertheless, any good makeup artist will tell you that a liquid foundation needs to be "set" with some sort of powder.   If not, in the summer, if one perspires, all their makeup will practically slide down their face!

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Nevertheless, any good makeup artist will tell you that a liquid foundation needs to be "set" with some sort of powder.   If not, in the summer, if one perspires, all their makeup will practically slide down their face!

I ABSOLUTELY agree with the above paragraph.  It completely depends upon the type of foundation you use (powder v. liquid) and whether it needs to be set or not.  Good and accurate response!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

Yes, I believe that's true.  You are right -- only doing half the job!  

I use Physician's Formula right now, which is a multicolored mineral powder.  So far, I like it better than any other I am using.  But I am always on the look out for something better!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I guess I AM lucky then  because I always get compliments on my skin (not makeup!) so I must be doing something right! Smiley Happy yay me!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

I don't really follow what makeup artists say to the "T" because, honestly, I don't like everything thing they do. And I've never had my makeup slide down my face or fade away throughout the day like some people have mentioned. I always though that was weird but assumed it had to do with their skin type and the product they are using. Again I guess I am lucky as it is one more step I can skip in my routine. I think it is odd that some of you are insisting everyone needs it, lol. Sounds like maybe you bought into the hype a bit too much. Smiley Wink we are all different and one size doesn't fit all.

Trusted Contributor

JeanLouiseFinch!  Thank you!  If you could send a link that would be great!

Honored Contributor

@quinny wrote:

JeanLouiseFinch!  Thank you!  If you could send a link that would be great!

OK, @Quinny - Here are a few from some beauty blogs or discussion boards.  If you want to research more, just type in "Setting Powder vs. Finishing Powder" and you'll have a lot of reading to do.  In my own reading, I've come across one or two new (to me) items that I might be interested in trying now.  Woman Wink  

Setting Powder vs. Finishing Powder #1

Setting Powder vs. Finishing Powder #2

Setting Powder vs. Finishing Powder #3

Trusted Contributor

JeanLouiseFinch...You've been such a great help!  Thank you so much!!