Valued Contributor

Re: Do you always use setting powder?

I always use a little loose powder to finish, I am 59 but still have an oily T zone.  By the end of my work day, 5pm , I do need to touch up especially if I am going somewhere from work.

Honored Contributor

There is a difference between a setting powder and a finishing powder. 

Super Contributor

I use Halo loose powder, but not always. I use very sparingly, using a large brush.

Honored Contributor

If you're using a liquid foundation or tinted moisturizer (or similar product) then, yes, you need to set it.

Your makeup should NOT come off on your phone, or someone's clothing if you give them a quick hug ..... yikes, what a mess!        

Trusted Contributor

JeanLouiseFinch...Could you elaborate on that please?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@quinny wrote:

JeanLouiseFinch...Could you elaborate on that please?

Hi @Quinny. I am out of town and using the iPad.  I don't know how to make a link with it but I'd be happy to do that Monday if you need them.  Basically, a setting powider is used to "set" any kind of damp foundation to make it last and is usually in a shade close to the color of the foundation.  It's also used as a touch up powder later if needed.   A finishing powder would be used to "finish" and perfect the final look by blurring out fine lines and/or pores and making the face/complexion appear more refined.  Some finishing powders give an overall glow, some are labeled HD so the subject will look better when photographed.  Finishing powders don't come in foundation shades but are usually in pale and white colors.   

Honored Contributor

I don't think I understand the differences in setting powder and finishing powder???

But in any event, I have tried to go without any powder, and I just can't do it!  Icccck.  I look terrible.  So shiny and just bad and unfinished.  I do not even have oily skin, but after applying my foundation and/or concealer, or whatever product, my face just looks very shiny.  And then the product rubs off -- every where --- not good.  Plus, after a short time, areas which I want covered --- are not.

I use a mineral powder and swoosh it on with a big brush.  For now, this seems to work.  It sort of mutes the shine without making me look too dry and flat.  

I was using a compact solid powder and a pad but this seemed to be too heavy and settling in fine lines.  I thought the coverage was better, but I couldn't seem to get it quite right.

Powder for me --- a must!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

I do.  Makes a big difference on me.  Almost an airbrush effect.  Love it! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For everyday MU I use concealer and powder foundation, for dressier I use concealer, liquid foundation and setting powder. The secret to not looking cakey is to use a very light hand. You already have foundation on so it only requires a slight amount of powder. I use the same powder for both as a foundation or as a setting powder. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I don't think I understand the differences in setting powder and finishing powder???

But in any event, I have tried to go without any powder, and I just can't do it!  Icccck.  I look terrible.  So shiny and just bad and unfinished.  I do not even have oily skin, but after applying my foundation and/or concealer, or whatever product, my face just looks very shiny.  And then the product rubs off -- every where --- not good.  Plus, after a short time, areas which I want covered --- are not.

I use a mineral powder and swoosh it on with a big brush.  For now, this seems to work.  It sort of mutes the shine without making me look too dry and flat.  

I was using a compact solid powder and a pad but this seemed to be too heavy and settling in fine lines.  I thought the coverage was better, but I couldn't seem to get it quite right.

Powder for me --- a must!!! 

OF  COURSE  you can't go without setting the wet makeup ..... that would be doing only  HALF the makeup job!  

For years I used a translucent loose powder to set my liquid foundation makeup,  which was perfect because translucent goes with any color .....  but I have since gone on to a mixture of loose powders, starting with a Bare Minerals type powder, and then adding other colors, depending on the time of year.    It's the most natural look I've ever had, and I really love it.