Contributor

Re: Do anyone elses nails peel when they use Perfect Formula Gel coat?

Yes it made my nails, peel, break, and split. I cancel AD and I will not fall for the hype again it's awful!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do anyone elses nails peel when they use Perfect Formula Gel coat?

@~Smokey~  I've been meaning to get back to you and just now got a chance to.

My first question is whether just the polish is peeling off or if the nail itself is peeling? I'm assuming it's the nail, but thought I should double check.

If it's only polish chipping off, then it's as someone mentioned...it most likely has to do with the application process. Finding the best base/polish/top coat combination is often a matter of individual trial and error. Other than that, make sure your nails are clean and dry. I quickly wipe mine with either pure acetone or high proof isopropyl alcohol right before I begin. Be sure to cap the edges as you are painting each layer. Also, make sure your hands haven't been in water or other liquids for maybe an hour or so before you begin. It's ok to wash your hands, but you need to allow ample time for the nail to dry out if they've been in water more than a minute or so.

If a layer of nail is peeling off (and taking the polish with it), then it may well be due to using hardeners when you don't need them. The following is a quote from Doug Schoon, an international nail expert: "When nail plates become too hard, they are more susceptible to shattering and splitting. For example, overuse of certain nail hardening products may cause nail plates to become excessively or overly hardened and that can leads to brittleness, cracking, shatters, splitting, etc."

Try applying cuticle oil whenever you think about it. Jojoba, avocado, coconut and almond all absorb well. And unless you're alergic to them (I'm thinking almonds), you shouldn't have to worry about added ingredients irritating your skin.