Occasional Contributor

Do anyone elses nails peel when they use Perfect Formula Gel coat?

It's a catch-22 for me. When I use products to help my nails "supposedly" get stronger, it only seems to make them peel. Any advice?

Re: Do anyone elses nails peel when they use Perfect Formula Gel coat?

I love how my nails look, but this also seems to make my nails split.  Any other people experience the same problem?  Maybe the manufacturer has some advice???  

Honored Contributor

It contains Formalin, a derivative of formaldehyde, I would not use it. I get great results from Sally Hansen Miracle Growth treatment in the gold bottle, not the serum, but the treatment, there is a difference. .

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, the gel made both my nails and my daughter's split.  We stopped using it!!

Honored Contributor

I'm trying hard to like this, but the jury's still out. The first time I used it, it started peeling in less than a week. Then I talked to someone at Sephora. She said they all love it, but the trick is to let it dry about 10 minutes before you do anything else - whether you leave it alone or cover it with polish.

My nails are one of my storng points. They grow and I have no problems with them. In fact people ask me all the time if they are real. I've never had artificial ones. I got this for one reason: I play with nail colors a lot, and recently I've been noticing white spots all over them. A friend told me to give them a "rest" from the dark polish. I can't go bare nailed *shudder* - but I decided to get this and give my nails a shiny look. This is the first time I've worn the gel after letting it dry 10 minutes. It's been almost a week, and there is no chipping. (I never had splitting to begin with).

Contributor

All nail polishes including this gel coat will peel off if nails have oils or residue on them. Be sure to wash hands & swipe nails with nail polish remover prior to application to ensure nails are clean and free of residue. HTH!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I actually gave it a one star review about a month ago. I was so happy to finally get a chance to purchase and use, and I can't believe how awful it was. It made my nails crack, and the polish peel.

I would never purchase this again.

Honored Contributor

Yes mine did. Although I liked the color but it made my nails peel badly. Terrible.

Honored Contributor

My nails are very thin and peel very easily, I have tried everything including the gel coat. I think if I didn't use my hands so much and wore gloves for house and garden work I may have more success keeping my nails in good shape. I am going to try the Sally Hansen nail treatment though.

Trusted Contributor

I bought some last year and kept it at my desk at work and used it. I was giving my nails a break from gel and I noticed the polish peels but my nails were fine. I don't think the product is anything special.