Valued Contributor

Re: Do I REALLY need a serum?

Good responses here. For me, I prefer serums for the lightness and way it feels on my face. I tend not to use heavier products so even if the ingredients are stellar, if the product feels too heavy on my skin, I get no benefit because it stays in the jar.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

TATCHA- Hear wondeful things about this line. May I suggest..Try me sample. A295971 Shawns Favorites! 7 piece set. TATCHA Serum included. If your interested, You can get future shipments of different products. Serum looks amazing! Decided needed this kit. Leaving next month vacation Florida. Love the nail polish! Forgot to mention we are close in age 58 1/2🙋 Best is yet to come!!

Esteemed Contributor

Think of it this way, serums are more likely to penetrate deeper than a cream - the cream that more or less, protects on the surface of your skin.

I only use 2 serums: a vitamin C serum, and an eye serum. The C serum for its delivery (and yes, for the ingredients), and the eye serum underneath an eye cream because I want that extra moisture delivery to the eye area.

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

No, you don't really need a serum unless you are just dying  to get rid of some of your money and can't think of a better way to get rid of it. The only thing you really need is sunscreen.

You sound just like my dermatologist. Even though they sell some pretty pricey things there. He also said to put it on the top of my hands even if spendong the day indoors..

Honored Contributor

I think it is a waste of money.  I never hear women on this forum rave about their serums or other anti-aging products.  Women spend all this money in hopes of the fountain of youth but it's not there.  And, the plastic surgery of some older women is horrible.  Priscilla Presley -- OMG!  it's really sad when women subject themselves to go under the knife only to find they will have to keep going and God only knows how they will end up looking.  Guess I needed to vent about this.  Try and add an oil to your bedtime routine.  Argan or Marula are my choices.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Quinny...I have tryed many serums which tend to dry my normal to dry skin. What I use as a serum is 100% cold pressed Rose Hipseed oil. So many benifits for the skin. It comes from the seeds of the Rose. Its a superstar for my skin! Rich in fatty acids & vitamins...Linoleic acids...antioxiatants. Vit.C...A...& E...Its natures serum. I put it on in the morning after cleansing on dry skin & then lightly message it into my skin & also at night. You may want to look at reviews of mature women who love it on youtube. .

Honored Contributor

@Kabella wrote:

@Quinny...I have tryed many serums which tend to dry my normal to dry skin. What I use as a serum is 100% cold pressed Rose Hipseed oil. So many benifits for the skin. It comes from the seeds of the Rose. Its a superstar for my skin! Rich in fatty acids & vitamins...Linoleic acids...antioxiatants. Vit.C...A...& E...Its natures serum. I put it on in the morning after cleansing on dry skin & then lightly message it into my skin & also at night. You may want to look at reviews of mature women who love it on youtube. .

@Kabella,

I'm interested in this rosehip oil. Do you apply it straight or does it need diluting with a carrier oil? Thanks!Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee...Good Morning Smiley Happy I use it straight up to get all the many benifits. It is not drying at all and absorbs well. Make sure you get one that is cold pressed. I buy a small 1 oz. dropper bottle & since I use it twice a day, there is no need to refrigerate. If you buy a larger bottle I would refrigerate as it can be more perishable than some other oils. The Brand I use is Life Flo.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @KabellaWoman Happy. I was just now looking at that brand Life-flo! It's less than $5 on Jet dot com. I am adding to my cart as we speak. Thanks for your recommendation. I am planning on using it with my new Retin-A cream. I'm very excited!Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

According to my young dermatologist, the only things a woman's complexion needs is a gentle cleanser and sunscreen.  Just wait till she gets older and she'll probably rave about serums!   In all my years of experimentation, I noticed serums immediately soak into clean skin.  I've read that serums absorb deeper than creams and lotions.  So you probably don't need a serum, but if you want products to get deep into skin layers, you might consider it. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt