Trusted Contributor

I am 59 years old and the only products I've ever used on my face are cleanser, a.m. moisturizing lotion w/ SPF, day eye cream, p.m. moisturizing lotion and night eye cream.

After doing much reading, I was convinced I needed to add something more, perhaps a serum, to my skin care.

After reading through a couple of the most recent posts, I now wonder if I NEED a serum or not.  It seems as though many of you are pro-serum and many think serums don't add anything to the skin.

I thought I knew what I needed.  Now I am completely CONFUSED.

I need serious advice, yes or no?

Thank you my friends! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do I REALLY need a serum?

I like the way my skin feels with a serum. My mom is 63. She has beautiful skin. No wrinkles. The only thing she has ever done was wash and moisturize with oil of Olay.
Honored Contributor

Interestingly! Posted on this very subject. Everyone shall tell you something different. Used philosophy Whine serum. Did research made the right decision for me, No longer use. The only product now use, First Aid Beauty Cream!! Can't say enough wonderful things about this. From head to toe!! Even my eye cream. Posted this evening here on the boards item number. Love this cream so much! Came back for second set on auto delivery. Incredible price!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Interestingly! Posted on this very subject. Everyone shall tell you something different. Used philosophy Whine serum. Did research made the right decision for me, No longer use. The only product now use, First Aid Beauty Cream!! Can't say enough wonderful things about this. From head to toe!! Even my eye cream. Posted this evening here on the boards item number. Love this cream so much! Came back for second set on auto delivery. Incredible price!!

HELLO @Sweet_Serenity

I noticed a few minutes ago of posting of First Aid Cream.... I though it to be you?

Someone from reviews mentioned it was like Noxzema. I used to use that constantly but would be leery using on my face, but have heard great endorsements for body, which I have so much of at this time. I really wanted to give this moisturizing for my face in the JNscented. I have very sensitive skin and do use a difficult situation in buying-----so expensive and never readily available. Buying now through internet...Their website. 

Do you use this as a facial cream or use it as for body only?

I always think it does ___ it does look like Noxzema which is why I had never bought. 

I would like only the JNscented if purchased. TIA. NAES

Honored Contributor

I don't go by what type of product I should use- I go by what ingredients I need in order to address my particular issues. So if those ingredients happen to be formulated in a serum or a cream or an oil, that is what I use. So I am not "pro" anything in terms of formulation, I am just simply "pro" ingredients. 

Honored Contributor

@NAES1 wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

HELLO @Sweet_Serenity

I noticed a few minutes ago of posting of First Aid Cream.... I though it to be you?

Someone from reviews mentioned it was like Noxzema. I used to use that constantly but would be leery using on my face, but have heard great endorsements for body, which I have so much of at this time. I really wanted to give this moisturizing for my face in the JNscented. I have very sensitive skin and do use a difficult situation in buying-----so expensive and never readily available. Buying now through internet...Their website. 

Do you use this as a facial cream or use it as for body only?

I always think it does ___ it does look like Noxzema which is why I had never bought. 

I would like only the JNscented if purchased. TIA. NAES

First Aid is my head to toe cream. In fact! Came back tonight ordered second set on auto delivery. Hope you find something you love that works for your specific needs. Last time used Noxzema only briefly 40 yrs ago. Honestly! Scent made me sick.
Esteemed Contributor

No, you don't really need a serum unless you are just dying  to get rid of some of your money and can't think of a better way to get rid of it. The only thing you really need is sunscreen.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you need one? No. Women have been around for millions of years without them and managed.

Might you want one or benefit from one? Yes. Women also didn't have sunscreen or toothpaste for millions of years, but now we know those things are important.

Serums address different things - moisture, brightening, texture, wrinkles, redness, pores, dark spots, etc. If any of those things interest you, pick up a serum to help with the issue. You can pick up a few and alternate or cocktail them, depending on ingredients. If none of those things interest you, skip the serums.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
OP-More importantly, Then serums or fancy creams, What you eat! Skin largest organ. Diet rich in colors ie veggies fruits whole foods. You will find large diverse range of fantastic information. Why not visit local public library. Trust me, Fiber and healthy lifestyle rich plant based diet your skin hair body and mind- Glow from within. Inside out! Mantra. Bonus!! Stamina & Energy!!🙋
Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

I am 59 years old and the only products I've ever used on my face are cleanser, a.m. moisturizing lotion w/ SPF, day eye cream, p.m. moisturizing lotion and night eye cream.

After doing much reading, I was convinced I needed to add something more, perhaps a serum, to my skin care.

After reading through a couple of the most recent posts, I now wonder if I NEED a serum or not.  It seems as though many of you are pro-serum and many think serums don't add anything to the skin.

I thought I knew what I needed.  Now I am completely CONFUSED.

I need serious advice, yes or no?

Thank you my friends! 

@Quinny - you'll get many varying opinions on this so ultimately you'll have to decide for yourself.  All I can tell you is that I'm a serum and product junkie, but I also think a healthy lifestyle (diet, exercise, drinking water, etc.) and taking some good supplements all play a part.  Family and friends that I know may do well on the lifestyle part, but don't do as much as me with their skincare and the differences are obvious.  I don't say this to brag, but to demonstrate how serums and consistency have been a positive for me.