Respected Contributor

I don't remember who recommended Dermanail, but I bought a bottle.  My nails are brittle, peeling, dry and one is split vertically.  They are a mess actually.

I used Rejuvacote for about 3 months and that didn't help.  I used Nailtiques formula 3 for 3 months and that didn't help.  I'm desperate.

I got Dermanail and Cutemol (cuticle and hand cream) and have used it faithfully for about a week.  Do you think I should be using this on clean nails?  They look so dull and awful that I'd like to use either Nailtiques or Rejuvacote to give them some shine and to try to glue the layers of nails down.

Do you think that would be beneficial or should I just keep them bare.

Honored Contributor

You can use it with polish, but it may be less effective. Either way, it's a long term solution and I know that if I tried to go without polish for 16 weeks, my nails would break frequently. I used it with polish. I am SUPER lazy and forgetful, so I never finished my bottle and didn't make it the 16 weeks it takes to see results - I think I made it 8 and then forgot where I put my bottle. I did use it on my cuticles at night.

Respected Contributor

Chynnablue, Thanks for your response.  I think I will stick it out because my nails have been nice for years and all of a sudden they are a mess.  I blamed it on the Revlon gel polish that I tried. That is when they went downhill.   I even posted about it here.  But I haven't used that gel polish for months and they are still a mess.

Here's hoping that it works!  Thanks!

Frequent Contributor

@mima wrote:

I don't remember who recommended Dermanail, but I bought a bottle.  My nails are brittle, peeling, dry and one is split vertically.  They are a mess actually.

I used Rejuvacote for about 3 months and that didn't help.  I used Nailtiques formula 3 for 3 months and that didn't help.  I'm desperate.

I got Dermanail and Cutemol (cuticle and hand cream) and have used it faithfully for about a week.  Do you think I should be using this on clean nails?  They look so dull and awful that I'd like to use either Nailtiques or Rejuvacote to give them some shine and to try to glue the layers of nails down.

Hi, you mention that you used Nailtiques Formula 3 and i would like to suggest you try Formula 2. Formula 3 is for nails that are already hard, Formula 2 is for soft, peeling, brittle nails which is what you described. You should also check out this website

http://www.loodieloodieloodie.blogspot.com

She has amazing tips on different products to use based on what issues yor having with your nails. I would hyperlink specific posts but i can see the website from work.

Honored Contributor

Nails change as we age, unfortunately. The older we get, the more likely we are to have nail issues like ridges or splitting.

One year I went home for Christmas and broke my nail at the airport on my way. I bought a plastic nail to glue on until it grew out and my dad wanted me to show him how I used it because he'd recently started having one nail constantly split. I bought him a kit for silk wraps and showed him how to do those. (The first silk wraps I ever got were from a boyfriend who made model planes with silk and power tools and was SO excited that he could use those on my nails.) I also bought him some Biotin to take. When I came home the next Christmas, all the supplies and the biotin were still on the table where I showed him how to use them the year before. My forgetfulness and inability to stick with something were either inherited or learned traits and I think I know who I got them from! I almost bought him the Demanail, but I was glad that I didn't. He wouldn't have stuck with it any better than I did.

Respected Contributor

@kricket3142 wrote:

@mima wrote:

Hi, you mention that you used Nailtiques Formula 3 and i would like to suggest you try Formula 2. Formula 3 is for nails that are already hard, Formula 2 is for soft, peeling, brittle nails which is what you described. You should also check out this website

http://www.loodieloodieloodie.blogspot.com

She has amazing tips on different products to use based on what issues yor having with your nails. I would hyperlink specific posts but i can see the website from work.

Thanks for the link.  When I first started using the formula 3, my nails were only split vertically and they would snap off they were that brittle.  After using the formula 3 I got the peeling, but I still have the verticle split.    So you think now that I need to use the formula 2?  I would like to continue to use the dermanail since I just bought it and it isn't cheap.   Do you think using 2 products at a time is damaging or helpful?

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the link.  When I first started using the formula 3, my nails were only split vertically and they would snap off they were that brittle.  After using the formula 3 I got the peeling, but I still have the verticle split.    So you think now that I need to use the formula 2?  I would like to continue to use the dermanail since I just bought it and it isn't cheap.   Do you think using 2 products at a time is damaging or helpful?

Thanks!

The girl in the link i sent you actually has a post on dermanail and she suggested to keep treatments seperated to avoid too much chemical mixing. She suggests to first use a hardening treatment for a few week then stop that and start dermanail, which sounds like you've already done, so i would just continue with the dermanail on it's own. You could probably use a buffer block that has a SHINE side to it and  use that to buff your nails to a beautiful shine while your using the dermanail. You will also need to follow the directions exactly and be very diligent about using it as it does take the full 8-16 weeks to see improvement and you only use it on the cuticle (or rather the eponychium, which is what most people think of when you say cuticle) and not the nail plate. In between uses throughout the day, be sure to keep your nails and eponychium hydrated as this will help with healthy nail growth. You can use nail oils like CND Solar Oil or even vitamin e oil, almond oil, coconut oil, things like that.  Burts Bee's Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream, LUSH Lemony Flutter, Qtica Intense Cuticle Repair balm, are all great as well.
If you click on the brands i mentioned above i hyperlinked so you could check them out Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

Wow, thank you Kricket, thanks for all the valuable info.  Thank you for mentioning to only use Dermanail on the cuticle.  I was smearing it on my nailbed also. 

I will check out those cuticle creams too.

Thanks again!

Frequent Contributor

it was my pleasure Smiley Happy i love talking nails

Super Contributor

Nailtiques 2 has changed my nails. They grow faster and stronger, they do not peel or split anymore. This product has been a game changer for me. Perfect Formula Pink Gel Coat is a joke next to this product.