Super Contributor

Re: Derma Rollin' Ladies ~~~any updates you would like to share?~~~

On 2/15/2014 BellaCarro said: I've used the .05 twice so far for CIT. I only plan to use that length monthly. I've used the .025 quite a bit for product absorption. I've put it aside for the pas ten days or so to pick up red light LED again and to just let my skin take a break. I believe there is some overall improvement in texture. There is def an improvement in upper lip lines. I contribute that to better product absorption, probably of vit. C. I don't believe twice for CIT could have made that much of an improvement.

Speaking of infrared -- Does Dr. S mention anything about it? A poster here mentioned that one should wait 24? 48? longer? hours after rolling before doing infrared. I'm wondering if that's a valid statement (and of course I can't remember the reason WHY).

I'm less concerned with it now that I've gotten on the once monthly train, but still curious.

Super Contributor

On 2/15/2014 SchippyLuv said:

I had to stop using everything on my face, including my Retin A, for about three weeks because I was so badly burned by all the Vitamin C products I tried. No more Vitamin C for this girl...

The only thing that soothed and helped my skin was a little sample of Algenist Eye Cream that I had on hand. It felt so good that I started using it all over my face and throat. I also noticed a marked reduction of fine lines around my eyes.

So - I ordered the 2 Oz Algenist Reconstructing Serum which arrived two days ago. It's fabulous in the healing and glow department. I've also started spot rolling again around my mouth with a 1mm roller and on the backs of my hands with a .5 roller nightly using the Algenist serum after. I use Algenist again in the morning, followed by sunscreen. Obviously, I don't have any obvious reduction in my deep mouth lines yet, but I don't have any irritation either. But the rest of my face looks so good that I can't stop looking at myself in the the mirror as I pass by.

My skin hasn't been this happy in years. If this keeps up, Algenist may even replace my old faithful Retin A products...

Oh - and I'm 68.

Kind of OT, but what Vit C products were you using?

And I'm so pleased you found something that helps! Smile

Super Contributor

Hi Maren!

I don't want to list the three different products I tried, because it definitely wasn't the fault of any of the products. I'm just super sensitive to so many substances. Each of the Vitamin C serums I used has been mentioned or discussed on the Beauty Forum. I just don't want to trash the reputation of a business, when it's definitely a problem that is unique to me.

You would not believe how burned I was. It got worse for awhile even after I stopped using the products, with skin peeling off my face in little sheets.

Another example of a weird sensitivity I have is coconut oil. Most of my friends rave about how wonderful it is for this and that. But it corrodes my fingernails down to the quick and creates huge acne cysts on my face. I'm done with that stuff too. I can't even have it around to give to my dog because just a little bit on my finger tips totally does me in.

I've been through so much with my skin, including radiation treatments for acne when I was a child. I see everything as an experiment. I'm sure now you'll understand why...

Super Contributor

On 2/16/2014 SchippyLuv said:

Hi Maren!

I don't want to list the three different products I tried, because it definitely wasn't the fault of any of the products. I'm just super sensitive to so many substances. Each of the Vitamin C serums I used has been mentioned or discussed on the Beauty Forum. I just don't want to trash the reputation of a business, when it's definitely a problem that is unique to me.

You would not believe how burned I was. It got worse for awhile even after I stopped using the products, with skin peeling off my face in little sheets.

Another example of a weird sensitivity I have is coconut oil. Most of my friends rave about how wonderful it is for this and that. But it corrodes my fingernails down to the quick and creates huge acne cysts on my face. I'm done with that stuff too. I can't even have it around to give to my dog because just a little bit on my finger tips totally does me in.

I've been through so much with my skin, including radiation treatments for acne when I was a child. I see everything as an experiment. I'm sure now you'll understand why...

I'm so sorry to hear that -- you poor thing! My skin seems to stand up to just about anything I assault it with and I realize I take that for granted. So many people speak of their sensitive skin.

The Algenist didn't do anything for me, but it was a nice serum and eye cream. I wonder if it's really the algae you're responding so well to. Who cares? If it works, that's what counts! And good for you for trying it -- I think I'd be gun shy if I were you! Smile

And as always, just goes to show, what will work for you, may not work for me, etc.

Frequent Contributor

On 2/16/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 2/15/2014 BellaCarro said: I've used the .05 twice so far for CIT. I only plan to use that length monthly. I've used the .025 quite a bit for product absorption. I've put it aside for the pas ten days or so to pick up red light LED again and to just let my skin take a break. I believe there is some overall improvement in texture. There is def an improvement in upper lip lines. I contribute that to better product absorption, probably of vit. C. I don't believe twice for CIT could have made that much of an improvement.

Speaking of infrared -- Does Dr. S mention anything about it? A poster here mentioned that one should wait 24? 48? longer? hours after rolling before doing infrared. I'm wondering if that's a valid statement (and of course I can't remember the reason WHY).

I'm less concerned with it now that I've gotten on the once monthly train, but still curious.

You don't have to wait to use infrared. In fact, one of my rollers has a red light on it...roll with the light on.
Trusted Contributor

When you research derma rolling, they discuss how rare the possibility of broken capillaries is because derma needles do not penetrate that deeply. I know owndoc dot com discusses it in length. One of the sites that provides lots of great and informative details on derma rolling.

I also hope anyone choosing this path is really researching the frequency recommended with longer rollers. You can do more long term harm than good if you use rollers that exceed a certain length and if you use them too often, without giving the skin adequate time in between to heal.

Some of these posts are very concerning with how overly aggressive they are .......... that can lead to permanent damage. which won't be apparent until it is too late.

Trusted Contributor

Is the ""Algenist Reconstructing"" serum a newer release from their original serum? I don't recall that being the name of the very first serum they brought to QVC.

Glad it is giving your skin so much relief. Vit C can be very harsh on some with sensitive skin. I tolerate it very well but my sister has always had real struggles with it.

Super Contributor

Hi Maren,

Actually, because I've had so many severe treatments for acne, I'm used to having my skin peel off of my body in sheets. That's why I'm not afraid to experiment with it. I know how sturdy skin really is and that it will always recover beautifully - eventually. It's just hard to go out in public looking like that sometimes.

I remember one prom when I had to have a special tulle shawl made to cover my peeling back and shoulders. Now that's humiliating...

But all that is over now thanks to three rounds of Accutane, Retin A and some great dermatological care over the years.

Super Contributor

Hi Wackers,

This is the QVC product number for the Algenist Serum I love so much: A230799. It gets very mixed reviews. People either absolutely love it, or it does nothing for them. I love it so much, I wish I could afford to bathe in the stuff... LOL...

Frequent Contributor

On 2/16/2014 wackers said:

When you research derma rolling, they discuss how rare the possibility of broken capillaries is because derma needles do not penetrate that deeply. I know owndoc dot com discusses it in length. One of the sites that provides lots of great and informative details on derma rolling.

I also hope anyone choosing this path is really researching the frequency recommended with longer rollers. You can do more long term harm than good if you use rollers that exceed a certain length and if you use them too often, without giving the skin adequate time in between to heal.

Some of these posts are very concerning with how overly aggressive they are .......... that can lead to permanent damage. which won't be apparent until it is too late.

I agree with this. Please know that there are different schools of thought with respect to frequency and different needle lengths. One can safely use 1.5 mm with a light touch, daily. The rejuveness.com site explains this although they recommend taking a break for a day or two. Additionally, my dermatologist confirmed this approach is completely appropriate for some individuals. So, in the end, everyone should do what works best for them (after doing some research, of course).