Honored Contributor

Re: DO YOU GO OUT WITHOUT MAKEUP

It's great to be comfortable in your own skin and feel confident going out in public makeupless.  It would be interesting though to see how the public would react to the same person with and without makeup.  I wonder how someone who feels they look fine without makeup is really perceived by the public?

Respected Contributor

I go out without mu all the time, including work. I actually like putting it on but rarely give myself enough time in the morning.  As much as I love mu, if it was to go away tomorrow, I wouldn't miss it.  Strange I know. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

It's great to be comfortable in your own skin and feel confident going out in public makeupless.  It would be interesting though to see how the public would react to the same person with and without makeup.  I wonder how someone who feels they look fine without makeup is really perceived by the public?

My guess would be that many of these women don't care what others think about them with our wthout makeup. Isn't that one of the very aspects to being comfortable in you own skin- not worrying how others perceive you? Some of these ladies are retired and have nothing to "prove" to anyone. I suppose you'd care more if it affects your ability to get a job or be taken seriously at a job but other than that, why would anyone care what a stranger thinks about them? And does wearing or not wearing makeup in the workforce really impact your ability to get jobs or advance in your current job? I don't know but it is an interesting question. Regardless, your loved ones know you and love you just the same, and isn't that what really matters in the big scheme of things?

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

My guess would be that many of these women don't care what others think about them with our wthout makeup. Isn't that one of the very aspects to being comfortable in you own skin- not worrying how others perceive you? Some of these ladies are retired and have nothing to "prove" to anyone. I suppose you'd care more if it affects your ability to get a job or be taken seriously at a job but other than that, why would anyone care what a stranger thinks about them? And does wearing or not wearing makeup in the workforce really impact your ability to get jobs or advance in your current job? I don't know but it is an interesting question. Regardless, your loved ones know you and love you just the same, and isn't that what really matters in the big scheme of things?

Actually the Washington Post had a recent article about how women are perceived as more capable when they wear make up at work. I remember reading it, but cannot locate the article.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After reading all these responses I find it interesting that many seem to wear makeup only when going out or to work and for special occasions.  It's a personal choice but it appears it's to impress or look good for others and when retired or not going out seem almost relieved not to HAVE to.  I don't understand that.  If anyone feels that way then why wear it at all?  There's nothing wrong with not wearing makeup at all if you do not like wearing it.  I happen to enjoy putting on makeup and it's relaxing and fun for me.  I am retired and I wear full makeup to please myself, to protect my skin and feel my best - for me whether going out not.  I do not care what anyone thinks of me and I know many think I'm vain for wanting my makeup on all the time.  To me it's like saying I don't wear clothes if I'm not going out or I don't shower or brush my teeth or fix my hair.  

Respected Contributor

I have always worn makeup when going out.  However, as I have getting older sometimes I feel I look worse with it.  It can accentuate wrinkles and fall into pores you did not know you had and make you look chalky. They always say when presenting that it wont sink into lines but I have yet to find something that wont. 

Honored Contributor

I wear very natural looking makeup, and I always have some on when leaving the house - even for errands. 

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

After reading all these responses I find it interesting that many seem to wear makeup only when going out or to work and for special occasions.  It's a personal choice but it appears it's to impress or look good for others and when retired or not going out seem almost relieved not to HAVE to.  I don't understand that.  If anyone feels that way then why wear it at all?  There's nothing wrong with not wearing makeup at all if you do not like wearing it.  I happen to enjoy putting on makeup and it's relaxing and fun for me.  I am retired and I wear full makeup to please myself, to protect my skin and feel my best - for me whether going out not.  I do not care what anyone thinks of me and I know many think I'm vain for wanting my makeup on all the time.  To me it's like saying I don't wear clothes if I'm not going out or I don't shower or brush my teeth or fix my hair.  

The flaw in your logic is that most of us wear different apparel when working or going out at night than we might during the day or just lounging around. Is that to impress people? I think it's just the conventional thing to do. So that's the reason that some people add some makeup more for the former relaxed days than the latter work/nightime occasions.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

No, but I sometimes question why. My hot flashes are so ridiculous that my makeup is usually dripping off by early mornng. :/

Super Contributor

Applying makeup is an art. Art is in the eye of the beholder.The greatest thrill of makeup for me is when I say I am going to put on my makeup, take 15 minutes to do so and say I'm ready to go and my husband or daughter say I thought you were putting on  your makeup. For me that means I got the look I was going for. If it makes you happy do it. If it doesn't make you happy that'a fine too. No one should feel they have to wear it 24-7.