Super Contributor
About to make my first attempt at DIY permanent haircolor. I'm tired of spending so much every month to have my roots done at a salon. I plan to do my entire head this week, then touch up my roots as needed. My hair is one shade of dark brown so I don't think it will be hard to match. I've done semi permanent on my own. Is permanent any more difficult? Are there any particular brands you recommend? My hair is just below my shoulders. Will one box be enough? Any other tips?
Honored Contributor

Re: DIY Permanent Haircolor

[ Edited ]

Revlon Colorsilk.  2/$5 at CVS this week.  I'm medium brown and get the dark blonde and it's fine.  I have short hair to my ears and one box works.  You will probably need 2.

Honored Contributor

I colored my own hair for years.  Then the gray got so bad around my face the home hair color didn't last very long.  

The fact is beauticians go to school and are licensed so they can apply hair color that's stronger than anything we can buy over the counter.

I will say that almost from the first time I paid to get my hair colored, I never received another compliment on my hair (i.e. color) again!  I'm not saying it was the colorist's fault, I don't know.

Honored Contributor

It's not harder than applying semi-permanent, but you'll need to be more careful about even application.

I like Revlon Colorsilk (ammonia-free) and L'Oreal Excellence. I avoid Garnier because I've had some bad experiences.

My hair is 3-4 inches past my shoulders now and I use one box of Revlon Colorsilk, but it's also fairly thin. If I it were longer, I would use two boxes. But if your hair is thicker or longer, you may want to use two. If you do get two boxes, mix them at the same time, even if you're not sure you will need both. One may get wasted, but if you don't, the development time on each won't match. The first time I used two boxes, I mixed the second bottle only when I ran out of the first and the part of my hair I used the second bottle on came out a different color than the rest of my head. After that, I mixed them both at the same time and the color was consistent.

Esteemed Contributor

I have read about Madison Reed and they have consultants that will help you.

Professional Hair Color at Home - Vibrant Results, Crafted in Italy.

Professional hair color and hair color products with salon-quality results.

This site has been visited by 10K+ users in the past month

Professional Hair Color at Home from Madison Reed.

Questions? Contact our Color Crew
of professionally trained colorists
  • Our Color
    Find out how Madison Reed is
    revolutionizing hair color
  • Color Advisor
    Find your perfect hair color with
    our online color advisor

This might help you make a good decision.

Contributor

My hair is longer and one box works for me, for my roots.  I would need 2 boxes for the entire head.  One or two kits also depends on how thick your hair is.  My hair is black so I can't say what brand would work best for you.  I've tried most brands and my only problem is their coloring when it comes to black, some use a lot of blue in their black shades.  As for the applications, just have something on hand to wipe your face, neck or ears with if you get coloring on them.  Wipe it as soon as you see it, otherwise depending on your skin tone it could be there a few days.  I sometimes put vasiline around my forhead and ears or will put a thick layer of face moisturizer on (don't forget the back of your neck) so the coloring can't sink into my skin.  I also like to put polish on my nails (including the underside) just incase they break through the cheap gloves that come in the kit.  Otherwise your nails are going to have a litlle brown color on them.  I tend to shop what's on sale at the drug stores. There's a lot of buy one get one half off or for free.  My daughter goes the other route.  She shops at Sally's beauty supply.  It cost more but she has a large thing of each product she needs to color her hair for 6 months or more. 

Valued Contributor

I have tried nearly all of peramanent hair color in a box including all those previously mentioned.  But for me, I find the most beautiful and long-lasting is Swartzkophf hair color which you can pick up at Wal-Mart.  I currently am wearing the cinnamon brown in the Ultimite line of Swartzkophf and it is just goregous.  

Good luck with what works for you.

Honored Contributor

Re: DIY Permanent Haircolor

[ Edited ]

Revlon Colorsilk, been using it now for 20 years.

Esteemed Contributor

You might be better off getting your color at Sallys and picking up developer there too, with box colors you don't always know what you are going to get. If you buy at Sallys you can also not only determine the shade you want but also the tones (gold/ash) 

If you are coloring to cover gray I would recommend you get a 20 volume if you are staying the same level of color or going darker. The 20 volume is more effective in covering grays. 

The workers there will be happy to help you find what you are looking for too.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

e difficultRe: DIY Permanent Haircolor

[ Edited ]

Permanent is not more difficult, and usually has better coverage.

Thanks to the Q beauty posters and others, I use Revlon Colorsilk Dark Brown/#30.

Best natural-looking dark brown I've come across, with no reddish or brassy tones.

It's forever been highly rated as a shade, and has been the #1 dark brown permanent hair color for many years

Plus it's less than $5 a box regular price, which makes it cheaper than Clairol Root Touch-Up (my other fave) to use for your roots in-between.

My hair is about 2" below my shoulders, but since it's baby-fine and very porous I use just one box.

If you feel you'd like more coverage due to your own hair's texture, use two.

Really think you'll love the results. 8)