Respected Contributor

Curling Wand? I've always used a old fashion curling iron but I'm curious....

I've been curling my long hair since the 80's.  I can blow my hair dry and curl it in about 35min.... sometimes longer if I don't get it cut enough and it takes me longer to blow dry but curling usually takes me only about 10min and I have LONG hair and curl it ALL.

But, I've been watching some Youtube, they look like they get some really pretty bouncy curls with that wand thing....... but, curling w/out a clamp, OH my...Ok, I'm a girl of the 80s but, I'm interested.

Have you used both? Which do you prefer? Huge learning curve?  Tell me your thoughts.

TIA!

Respected Contributor

Re: Curling Wand? I've always used a old fashion curling iron but I'm curious....

I have long hair too and without a doubt the BEST curling tool I've ever found is the Kiss Instawave. Lots of info and demos over on youtube. I can curl my whole head in 5 minutes and the curl stays till I shampoo. Takes a few times using it to get the hang of it but once you get it it's easy and fast!

Respected Contributor

Re: Curling Wand? I've always used a old fashion curling iron but I'm curious....

@silkyk  Really??!!  Oh, thank you!! Now, I'm a little excited.  Where do you buy the "Kiss Instawave" for best price? Amazon?

Frequent Contributor

Omg! I'm having the same issues! I too am an 80's girl & I believe thats the last time I bought a new curling iron! Lol! I recently got my hair all cut off and told the stylist to leave enough for me to set. I came home to curl it & looked at my iron & was like, oh this thing needs to go! I was very confused on the wands w/no arm to hold the hair. Now, my daughter can use it wonderfully,  but l can never get it right! I really like the Calista curling thing but $100 is a lil too pricey for me.

Respected Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@silkyk  Really??!!  Oh, thank you!! Now, I'm a little excited.  Where do you buy the "Kiss Instawave" for best price? Amazon?

Yup! Most probably Amazon but check around this time of year for sales. Be sure and watch the videos on youtube. Lots of good tips there. I LOVE my Kiss!

Respected Contributor

@taginsc2016   Yup, that's me too, I keep going shorter too, I was down to my bra line and i just had about 4-5" cut off and I'll let that grow a little then I may go up a little more.

I don't have the same curling iron as I did in the 80's, I have a gold one now and I love and I can curl my hair in a jiffy but I do like the look of the curls I see from the wands, I'm just imagining me trying to curl my hair w/out a clamp!! Smiley Frustrated

Regular Contributor

The KISS is really good and the curls last on me.  Last week I got a T3 styling wand (wider at the top and narrows).  I curled my hair with it Saturday and my hair has really nice waves yet today.

My hair is down to my bra line with long layers.

I had a perm back in the 80's and just used a curling iron on my bangs to make them tall! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@butterflygirl69  YES, you get me!! lol  I permed in the 80's too, scrunched dryed it, maybe added a couple curls where perm didn't take so well and styled bangs!

I have to check out these wands, where did you get your T3?  Would you recommend the KISS or the T3 for me to try first?

Respected Contributor

I gave it a try with a cheap iron from Target--when I had longer hair. I've since cut it back down to chin length where it looks better on me.

The wand with no clamp lets you wind hair around it and you get spiral curls. It's kind of an old technique made new again. You need a heat glove for holding the curl at the end of the iron where it can be hot. It does make nice "beachy" waves but it's a bit labor intensive. It works, however. 

Trusted Contributor

I have bought all the "new gagets" for hair.... and ALWAYS go back to my cheap curling iron.... it just works the best.