Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!

@POshare-girl wrote:

@just bee I am a much more patient person at work.  I would like to work on making that part of my homelife too.  Good project to work on!  

@aprilskies I saw in the Use it up thread that you're done with your Vit C serum.  I've been using the Drunk Elephant C-Firma serum for 8 months now.  I really like the packaging because it's airtight and super clever.  It's in a square bottle that I twist to expose the pump, super easy to use.  And it lasts so long because it has a "reservoir effect" and stays on the skin for 72 hours so I only apply it every 2-3 days (whenever I remember).  It was pricey but I only buy it on sale or as part of a kit on sale and it's still going after 8 months.  If you're ever in the market (and have no other Vit C in your stash), I would highly recommend it.  And does it work?  I think so.  DH started using it at the start of the year and his skin looks much more even.

It's going to be a 3-digit use-it-up month value-wise in March.  Looking back at the products I used up, half of them weren't necessary.  I tossed an Inglot eyeshadow and the super-hyped MAC Soft & Gentle highlighter, which really was not appropriate for my lifestyle.  I only bought it because of YouTube.  And a few items were things I bought because they were on sale.  I didn't need them because I already had something similar, but it was a "value".  Those are the most painful to use up and seem to take forever to finish.  Another confirmation for me to stick with my tried and true, which are a joy to use.

The grass is always greener:  I would like to have just a *touch* of your cold weather here in Hawaii.  It's too hot already!  85 degrees!  I have to change up my base product.  It's making me look oily in this weather.  Just when I thought I had dry skin, nope, it was just the "season".  I'm back to oily-combo skin.  Please forgive my living-in-paradise rant.  This is my home and it's hard to imagine living anywhere else.  But we all need a change of scenery once in a while.

Let's enjoy the last week of March!

@Oshare-girl,  thanks for the rec.  I have the drunken elephant c.  I bought this one first last year and then the Timeless because, yep, there was a sale I had to jump on because of the value. So, I have products just sitting there now on my shelf waiting their turn.  Mind you, there were several other sales after that one.  Anyway, I digress.  I like the drunken elephant. Recently,   I started using it everyday and my skin balked.  It felt irritated and hurt a bit to the touch so now it is back to every other day or every two.  My problem with this kind of thing is just remembering to use it and this one is just too expensive not to use. So, I put it in a spot where it won't get pushed to the back. This is the only product I have from this line.  Have you tried others? 

I so so agree about unnecessary products. I am glad I am on my simplifying journey this year.  While my no buy/low buy hasn't been perfect, it is drastically better than prior years. And as far as YouTube, I have been trying to quit it for awhile and failing.  I dont watch as many channels as I use to, but still, I am better off not knowing things exist.  My purchases this month were from YouTube made me buy it camp.  Lol.  

One by one..... 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I so so agree about unnecessary products. I am glad I am on my simplifying journey this year.  While my no buy/low buy hasn't been perfect, it is drastically better than prior years. And as far as YouTube, I have been trying to quit it for awhile and failing.  I dont watch as many channels as I use to, but still, I am better off not knowing things exist.  My purchases this month were from YouTube made me buy it camp.  Lol.  

One by one..... 

@aprilskies

Yesterday the temperature dropped like a rock, the wind blew over garbage cans and we even got a little rain.  I'd scheduled a blood donation in the afternoon because I thought I'd have the morning to take Mr. Wonderful out for a walk.  No way was I taking him out to get sandblasted, so I browsed websites instead.

I'm so glad I've retrained my brain.  Now when I see something and tell myself that I need it, I can follow that with, "Uh, no I don't."  There are so many things out there to covet; now I look at them as things to dust.

I did end up ordering some tea for a coworker's birthday and then I watched the episodes of Spy in the Wild that I'd DVR'd.  Like you said, we're better off not knowing...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee,  yes compacting self - I am on this path too.  I am trying to change old habits into new ones that benefit my life.  It is a work in progress as old habits die hard.  I have also cut my to do list in half.  All I saw was a bunch of "shoulds."  And patience, oh yes, how I was a patient person and now I don't even recognize myself. Lol.  Getting older isn't for the weak. 

As far as HEP, I have been doing better for the last week and a half.  Doesn't mean I don't have bagels or chips or cookies, etc, but my days are balanced out.  While every day isn't successful, I am getting better.  I think I even lost some, not enough to jump up and down for, but it is in the right direction.  So, I am thrilled.  I think I may finally be on a good path here.  At the very least, I am not feeling bloated because it has been less sugar and salt and that is good. Really would like to lose this 20 by summer. 

My low buy is struggling a bit.  Nothing drastic, still pretty good in my spending but my recent purchases were unnecessary and not mindful.  I think I have to go back to my no buy.  Low buys for me seem to crack open the door. I am not there yet.  

Have a a great day, ladies. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

One by one..... 

@aprilskies

Yesterday the temperature dropped like a rock, the wind blew over garbage cans and we even got a little rain.  I'd scheduled a blood donation in the afternoon because I thought I'd have the morning to take Mr. Wonderful out for a walk.  No way was I taking him out to get sandblasted, so I browsed websites instead.

I'm so glad I've retrained my brain.  Now when I see something and tell myself that I need it, I can follow that with, "Uh, no I don't."  There are so many things out there to covet; now I look at them as things to dust.

I did end up ordering some tea for a coworker's birthday and then I watched the episodes of Spy in the Wild that I'd DVR'd.  Like you said, we're better off not knowing...

Yes, retrain the brain.  It seems I do well for a spell and then I falter.  I am going back to my no buy for April.  I am just not there yet.  

For ex, recently one of the things I bought was a micro needle roller.  I just received it yesterday and as I opened it, I just shook my head, why in the world did I buy this thing. Why- because I watched one lady on YouTube talk about her good results.  And she actually does look younger comparatively to her older videos.  And then,you know, there pops another related video and then somewhere in there I thought it was a good idea and maybe this was the answer to my textured lightly wrinkled skin right below my eyes and other little wrinkles I see. 😂 . Uh, no.  I will never use the thing. Just too much maintenance and I am really a low maintenance kind of person.  I watch you tube when I can't sleep because it is mindless chatter but I think I need to start grabbing for a book.  I am at my weakest when I am tired and when I keep seeing things over and over, I always get convinced. Lol   One of the reason I stopped watching qvc on the daily. 

But thats okay, I am getting there.  Slowly.  

On no, the wind there with the sand does sound awful.  I can't imagine the sand blowing in my face.  The area sounds nice though.  I would love the mountains in the background.  

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies

I'm determined to watch some of what's on my DVR before my staycation ends.  The other day Better-half ran to the store and had asked me if there was anything I wanted.  I would have killed for a giant bag of white cheddar popcorn.

But then I realized that I had scheduled a blood donation.  The best thing about donating blood is the snacks that you have to eat before you can leave.  A bag of baked Wheat Thins and two oatmeal raisin cookies hit the spot.  And there was no guilt!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

On no, the wind there with the sand does sound awful.  I can't imagine the sand blowing in my face.  The area sounds nice though.  I would love the mountains in the background.  

The Sandias are lovely, but when the spring winds come and the sand starts blowing, they disappear.

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

The grass is always greener... Please forgive my living-in-paradise rant.  This is my home and it's hard to imagine living anywhere else.  But we all need a change of scenery once in a while.

@Oshare-girl

The grass isn't always greener.  In fact, sometimes there's no grass at all.

NM

Have you considered a trip to the high desert? Woman Wink

Whoa, looks like a scene from Star Wars!   

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Well, I started wearing makeup again. I have been trying to use one of my eyeshadow palettes that is very old now.  It still performs good but I want to give it an old college try so I at least get some use out of it.  I think I am going to declutter it at the end of the year.  We will see.  I have too many palettes and some of my newer ones are now old if that makes sense.  But, it is interesting, when you start using things you really get a good idea of what works or not. 

However, why is it I think I look better without makeup?  Sometimes I feel like a powdery mess and it's not like I pile it on. Oh well, we must power on. Too many things to pan. 

@aprilskies Ditto to everything you said.  Eyeshadow palettes are still a problem for me. It just takes so long to use up eyeshadow, why do I keep buying palettes, even small ones?  I know the shadows aren't performing as they should be because they are getting old.  Which leads to more unsatisfaction, which leads to the hunt for something better.  But when I think about it, what I have would have been MORE than satisfactory IF I used it when it was fresh.  I am vowing to NOT buy any eyeshadow this year.  I reduced the amount I bought last year but I really need to stop to inflow.  That's the only way I can begin to finish what I have.

I also feel like I look better with less makeup, but then I think, how will I finish what I have if I don't wear it?  Maybe I should just stop wearing the extra stuff and call it a learning experience.  Hm...I might be in the right frame of mind to do a little decluttering right now.Woman Wink  

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@POshare-girl wrote:

@just bee I am a much more patient person at work.  I would like to work on making that part of my homelife too.  Good project to work on!  

@aprilskies I saw in the Use it up thread that you're done with your Vit C serum.  I've been using the Drunk Elephant C-Firma serum for 8 months now.  I really like the packaging because it's airtight and super clever.  It's in a square bottle that I twist to expose the pump, super easy to use.  And it lasts so long because it has a "reservoir effect" and stays on the skin for 72 hours so I only apply it every 2-3 days (whenever I remember).  It was pricey but I only buy it on sale or as part of a kit on sale and it's still going after 8 months.  If you're ever in the market (and have no other Vit C in your stash), I would highly recommend it.  And does it work?  I think so.  DH started using it at the start of the year and his skin looks much more even.

It's going to be a 3-digit use-it-up month value-wise in March.  Looking back at the products I used up, half of them weren't necessary.  I tossed an Inglot eyeshadow and the super-hyped MAC Soft & Gentle highlighter, which really was not appropriate for my lifestyle.  I only bought it because of YouTube.  And a few items were things I bought because they were on sale.  I didn't need them because I already had something similar, but it was a "value".  Those are the most painful to use up and seem to take forever to finish.  Another confirmation for me to stick with my tried and true, which are a joy to use.

The grass is always greener:  I would like to have just a *touch* of your cold weather here in Hawaii.  It's too hot already!  85 degrees!  I have to change up my base product.  It's making me look oily in this weather.  Just when I thought I had dry skin, nope, it was just the "season".  I'm back to oily-combo skin.  Please forgive my living-in-paradise rant.  This is my home and it's hard to imagine living anywhere else.  But we all need a change of scenery once in a while.

Let's enjoy the last week of March!

@Oshare-girl,  thanks for the rec.  I have the drunken elephant c.  I bought this one first last year and then the Timeless because, yep, there was a sale I had to jump on because of the value. So, I have products just sitting there now on my shelf waiting their turn.  Mind you, there were several other sales after that one.  Anyway, I digress.  I like the drunken elephant. Recently,   I started using it everyday and my skin balked.  It felt irritated and hurt a bit to the touch so now it is back to every other day or every two.  My problem with this kind of thing is just remembering to use it and this one is just too expensive not to use. So, I put it in a spot where it won't get pushed to the back. This is the only product I have from this line.  Have you tried others? 

One by one..... 

I designated Tues, Thurs and Sun as the days I use the Drunk Elephant C-Firma.  Since it has that resevoir system and stays on the skin for 72 hours, I figure there's no sense in applying it everyday.  DH also experienced irritated skin when he started using it.  I think he was using too much and too often.  Now he's on the same routine as me (mainly because he can't remember to use it unless I remind him) and his skin has recovered.  I'd encourage you to give it another try, but more sparingly.

I also have the B-Hydra gel, which I have grown to enjoy.  I didn't think it was doing anything at first, but now I like the consistency.  I tried what I thought would be something similar, but cheaper and ended up not liking that product as much.  So I went back to the DE B-Hydra.  There's some mini sizes of products that came with the kit that I have not tried out yet. Like the Framboos Glycolic Night Serum and the Marula Facial Oil.  Oh, I have also tried the face soaps (Pekee and Juju bars) but they aren't anything mind-blowing that makes me want to switch over to them permanently.  I am using a tiny pot of the Lala Retro Cream as an eye cream right now.  It's nice but also not necessary.  If I had a ton of money, I would consider using the line as I like the packaging, the ingredients and the simplicity of it all.  But it is quite pricey and I don't need all of it so I'll just stick to the Vit C and the B-Hydra gel for now.

Skincare can take so long to use up so it's another area that I am trying to just stick with what I like and not stray or get distracted with the "value" options.  I'm willing to pay for what works and from experience, if I have only one type of product instead of multiples, I'm more likely to enjoy using it and will use it up.  I still find that so ironic.  Having less makes me more satisfied than having variety.  It took me a long time to realize that.

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

The grass is always greener... Please forgive my living-in-paradise rant.  This is my home and it's hard to imagine living anywhere else.  But we all need a change of scenery once in a while.

@Oshare-girl

The grass isn't always greener.  In fact, sometimes there's no grass at all.

NM

Have you considered a trip to the high desert? Woman Wink

Whoa, looks like a scene from Star Wars!   

@Oshare-girl

Bisti

Bisti

Bisti

Bisti

It's no wonder the aliens landed in this state.