Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- Mindful March!

Well, it's Ash Wednesday, and shopping is one of the things I am giving up for Lent, so I'm with y'all for at least 6 weeks!  Smiley Happy I usually try to refrain from a couple of things, as well as add in some other things that would be beneficial to me and others. I will only buy if I run out of something........buttttttttttt I don't really see that happening, so yeah. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Holy c__p -- the Dow just went over 21,000!

And that scares the c  p out of me!

May I ask why?  I am just pizzed because I didnt invest when I thought about it.  I procrastinate on things that I shouldn't.  I could of been a rich retiree by now. Woman LOL  oh vey, the mistakes.

Don't be.  Markets always correct and this one is long overdue.  What goes up must come down, and what has gone up this far this fast is likely to come down even farther even faster.  And it never happens when you're expecting it.  

Buying opportunities always come around.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@PAlady wrote:

Good morning ladies, and Happy March.  It came in like a lion for us with rainstorms and high winds.

How about the word - Appreciate for April.  I need to learn to appreciate what I have and not be buying the next best thing or thinking I need an item for my "fantasy" life.

I am thinking of giving up eating junk between meals, this is something I battle with every day (ask me about the sleeve of thin mint cookies I ate yesterday afternoon).  I really need to give up eating after supper,I know I am not hungry but I just go on auto pilot and   eat.  I am going to try to add some type of exercise everyday. It may just be a 30 min walk or a 30 min. dvd.  We will see how this goes.

Good luck to all who give up something or try to add something.

I could have written this almost word for word.  Except I would have had to admit I ate the whole box of cookies instead of just one sleeve.

Me too!!!!!! 

I really like the word "appreciate."  I think it is important.

This week, I dont have a eating specific plan, just mindfulness, but I want to at least exercise 4 days a week and slowly bump it up to at least 6 days.   

@aprilskies

Better-half and I are getting into salads.  Way back in the 90s, I had to fly to San Francisco for a seminar for work and across the street from my hotel was a little Italian restaurant where I would grab a table near the window and drink red wine and eat amazing salads.  When I came home I waxed poetic about these perfect salads and wondered why I wasn't eating them every day.

Now you can buy bagged salads that have seeds and nuts and dried fruits so there's no excuse not to have a salad.  Better-half and I are buying these and at the same time we're wondering why because we already have all the seeds and nuts and fruit -- dried and fresh -- to make our own combination salads.  Crumble a little gorgonzola or bleu cheese or sprinkle some parmesan, throw in some nuts and seeds, herbs and fruit, chopped up vegetables... there's no end to the variety.

But I digress.  More salads in March!  And more fish.

I do LOVE salads. But, a lot of times when I get the fixings for home, most of it gets tossed for one reason or another. So, no more fixings for home regardless of my good intentions. So, now I have them when I am at work or out.  Although, summer time is when I really crave them more. So light and refreshing. 

But now, you are making me want that ready made salad from Costcos with the cranberries and pumpkin seeds, I think. I forget the name of it.

@aprilskies Are you talking about the kale superfoods salad?  It comes with all kinds of shredded veggies and a pouch of pumpkin seeds, cranberries and salad dressing.  I actually like to use this to stirfry with something we call kalua pork, which is smoked shredded pork.  The salad greens cut the fat in the pork and still has a little crunch after it's cooked.  My family loves this.

@just bee I just had a cobb salad from CPK that sounds exactly like your salad.  I'd prefer to make it at home, except it was a school fundraiser CPK night.  I think I will buy a small block of bleu cheese this week for salad.  

Appreciate April sounds perfect!  

I am still trying to decide what to fast for Lent.  Hm...a dishwasher?  

I used up $97 worth of beauty products in February.  Again, satisfying but shocking.  Most of them took many months to use up which makes me wonder if I really needed them.  I'm pretty sure I used them because I had them, not because I needed them.  I am hoping that by the end of this year I will have used up all the excess product in my stash and will only be left with a simplified beauty routine.  Mindful March!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

I'm in.  I need to pare down and wake up.  Mindfulness should be more than just a word and I've been trying for years , mostly failing at it.

I'm almost finished with an entire tube of Lorac lipstick and I never finish a tube!  Also almost finished with a compact of IT illuminator. 

Good luck to all of us. We will do this!

@MoJoV Good job on the tube of lipstick!  You can do it, it's possible!  Since I've started using one lipstick at a time, I've really come to enjoy it.  It's like my little ritual to apply my lipstick.  And it feels really special to open a new tube after finishing one.  I still have a lot of others in my stash (enough to last through 2018) so I have to remind myself not to buy any new ones since it takes me 3-4 months to finish an entire tube.  I'm finally down to the lip products that I know I like so each tube really is a joy to use.  Mindfulness at work is really a great thing.

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Whoa.  I went to the closet where I've kept the last of my philosophy 3-in-1 collection and I'm happy (and shocked) to report that I have five 16-ounce bottles left.  I used to have 100 bottles of shower gel in the house.

Of course, I still have a s__tload of B&BW, but it's still progress! Woman LOL

Wow, that is some good progress.  How long do you estimate that took you?

I'm curious too @just bee, how long did this take you to make all that progress?  That's awesome!

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

And that scares the c  p out of me!

May I ask why?  I am just pizzed because I didnt invest when I thought about it.  I procrastinate on things that I shouldn't.  I could of been a rich retiree by now. Woman LOL  oh vey, the mistakes.

Don't be.  Markets always correct and this one is long overdue.  What goes up must come down, and what has gone up this far this fast is likely to come down even farther even faster.  And it never happens when you're expecting it.  

Buying opportunities always come around.

I know, but they sure did skyrocket, G.  Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I do LOVE salads. But, a lot of times when I get the fixings for home, most of it gets tossed for one reason or another. So, no more fixings for home regardless of my good intentions. So, now I have them when I am at work or out.  Although, summer time is when I really crave them more. So light and refreshing. 

But now, you are making me want that ready made salad from Costcos with the cranberries and pumpkin seeds, I think. I forget the name of it.

@aprilskies Are you talking about the kale superfoods salad?  It comes with all kinds of shredded veggies and a pouch of pumpkin seeds, cranberries and salad dressing.  I actually like to use this to stirfry with something we call kalua pork, which is smoked shredded pork.  The salad greens cut the fat in the pork and still has a little crunch after it's cooked.  My family loves this.

@just bee I just had a cobb salad from CPK that sounds exactly like your salad.  I'd prefer to make it at home, except it was a school fundraiser CPK night.  I think I will buy a small block of bleu cheese this week for salad.  

Appreciate April sounds perfect!  

I am still trying to decide what to fast for Lent.  Hm...a dishwasher?  

I used up $97 worth of beauty products in February.  Again, satisfying but shocking.  Most of them took many months to use up which makes me wonder if I really needed them.  I'm pretty sure I used them because I had them, not because I needed them.  I am hoping that by the end of this year I will have used up all the excess product in my stash and will only be left with a simplified beauty routine.  Mindful March!

@Oshare-girl - yes, that is the salad.  I haven't gotten it in awhile, now you ladies have made me crave it.  Sauted with pork sounds good.  That's not a bad idea.  Never occurred to me to sauté it with something.  

I know what you mean about the beauty products.  I am in the same boat.  It's amazing how much things cost when you start to add them up. I know I won't be through all of my excess by year end but I want to be in a much better place. Some things I am using and just go why. I have noticed lately that my skin is not happy when I do too much to it.  It is a bit irritated.  Sometimes I have half a mind of dumping it all and starting fresh and giving my skin a break. Between trying to use up different serums, toners, vit c, etc, It just seems worse for wear.  Maybe it is time to put things away for a week or two and just do the basics.  I think adding the vit c everyday was just too much or I was just using too much. 

Alright, sleep has eluded me.  I am going to run before I start making no sense. 

Respected Contributor

I am definitely in for a Mindful March! I am trying to be much more selective as to the beauty products that I purchase and I'm making progress. I actually bought face moisturizers because I was out! That never happens! Actually I'm trying to be more mindful of all my purchases lately. I have a goal to pay off my house in 10 years, so I can retire at a reasonable age and any little bit I can save and put towards the mortgage will only help me reach that goal. I don't intend to totally deprive myself by any means, but I just don't want to waste money needlessly. Plus I'll have 2 kids heading off to college then and I'm sure anything extra can l be used for that. And a more immediate need will be my younger son will probably need braces in the next few years, so I want to start saving for that. 

Appreciative April sounds awesome too! I definitely need to be reminded to be appreciative for everything that I already have and not feeling like I need something else. I have already been blessed with so much but it's easy to forget that sometimes. And it's hard with kids too. They're always asking for something and I feel like I'm constantly saying "no". I'm trying to teach them moderation too, and to appreciate everything they have. It's a challenge for sure. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Whoa.  I went to the closet where I've kept the last of my philosophy 3-in-1 collection and I'm happy (and shocked) to report that I have five 16-ounce bottles left.  I used to have 100 bottles of shower gel in the house.

Of course, I still have a s__tload of B&BW, but it's still progress! Woman LOL

Wow, that is some good progress.  How long do you estimate that took you?

@aprilskies

@Oshare-girl

How long have we been ComPacting?  It's taken years! Woman LOL

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I would like to join in, please.

Reducing cosmetics (not opened), and nice, but no longer worn clothes.  Gifting to helping hand.

Lost my nerve giving up chocolate for Lent, giving up bread instead.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras