Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- JANUARY!

@just bee wrote:

@kathie66 wrote:

Happy New Year Friends!!

Looking back on my 2016 Compact I did ok. One goal was to concentrate on Supersizes, using up and giving away as many in the stash as I could. I ended up using 112 products of all sizes and giving away 42. Out of those 166 products, 27 were supersized. I still have more in the stash, but made a nice dent in them. I learned it takes a LONG time to use up a supersized product, and you really have to love them or you get real tired of them by about halfway thru. I am finishing the couple I have open and moving on to normal sizes for awhile. (that will probably be almost springtime!)

Another goal I meet this year was using up my Laura Geller Babycakes Blush Palette. Its been on my compact list for years it seems! I used every bit and even though I loved the product I am glad its gone. I did well in stopping the madness of adding to my Bath and Body products stash, I bought very little and shopped my stash. Makeup is a whole other story!  

So this brings me to my goals for 2017. I am going back to previous years goal (before my 2016 Supersize goal) of using up my non core brands of shower gel. By 2018, I really want my stash to just have the brands of shower gel that I absolutely love. Hopefully I can finish up the brands I dont love as handsoap this year. This goal was put on hold last year while I used up Supersizes. Another goal this year is to use my makeup in a new way. Instead of using something up till its gone, I want to take a few blushes from my stash, use them each quarter, and keep what works and get rid of what doesnt. Same thing with lip products, and eyeliner. I had started this with eyeshadow palettes, did ok but need to be much more ruthless this year and get rid of what eyeshadow doesnt work. And stop adding to my collection! I only want to use up what works in my makeup stash, and let go of what doesnt.

Another goal I meet was reading 42 books this year. My goal was30. I am pretty proud of myself! I set a goal of 30 again this year. I have to earn some college credits that my work is requiring this year, this may impact my pleasure reading. I will have required reading this year! (Wish me luck I am a little nervous about the classes)

As for fun I had alot this year!  My 50th birthday trip to Harry Potter World and Disney was amazing. My fun this year will be visting my kids, they are both done with college now. My daughter recieved her PHD in November. Her job is about 2 hours away and my sons job is 5 hours away. I plan on visting them every chance I get, being with them is always fun and renews my heart and soul. I love them so much and are so proud of them. I am also thankful that they like and make time to spend with me.

I hope your 2017 is all you want it to be my friends. I count myself so lucky to have your friendship and support. It means more to me than words can say. I wish you all a Happy and Healthy and Succesful compacting New Year!

XXOO Kathie

Finishing that LG blush palette is comparable to the Cubs winning the World Series.  It's huge.  Every day I brush some on and say to myself: There's always next year.  I guarantee I'll still be using it in 2018.

My love affair with scented shower gels is over.  Unfortunately I still have plenty in the stash.  Better-half used to shake his head and say, "It's just soap."  Now I'm saying it.  Next January I'll still have bottles in the closet.  Just fewer of them.

I hear ya on the supersizes.  I bought shampoo at Costco and the price was so good I bought two jugs.  I hate this stuff and I still have at least a bottle and a half left.  When will I learn?

As a former English major and would-be high school teacher, I salute you and aprilskies for reading so many books.  I know what you mean about required reading.  But don't fret about your classes -- you'll be surprised.

Congratulations to your kids for their degrees and their work.  I hope they enjoy what they're doing.  Sounds like you did something right!  Sometimes I think parenting is a lost art and I'm always impressed and encouraged when I encounter a healthy family.  Your family is one of the lucky ones!

@just beeThanks for the kind words regarding my family. It means SO MUCH! My kids do enjoy what they are doing, we are very lucky!

I also appreciate the vote of confidence about my classes. I think I will feel better after starting the first one and knowing how to manage the work while working full time.

I also will still have lots of soap next January! Just less of it! My collection doesnt have a hold on me like it used too. I want to enjoy it again, the supersizes were making using it a chore. Maybe in 2018 I can finally feel comfortable posting how many bottles I have left!

Thanks for keeping us all on track bee, I so appreciate this thread and all the people on it!

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24
Honored Contributor

@kathie66 wrote:
@just beeThanks for the kind words regarding my family. It means SO MUCH! My kids do enjoy what they are doing, we are very lucky!

I also appreciate the vote of confidence about my classes. I think I will feel better after starting the first one and knowing how to manage the work while working full time.

I also will still have lots of soap next January! Just less of it! My collection doesnt have a hold on me like it used too. I want to enjoy it again, the supersizes were making using it a chore. Maybe in 2018 I can finally feel comfortable posting how many bottles I have left!

Thanks for keeping us all on track bee, I so appreciate this thread and all the people on it!

You can do it

Don't fret, don't sweat.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I rounded up my Christmas cards and tackled the junk mail on the kitchen counter.  I'd say 95% of it was from charities.  I recycled the mail from the ones I'd donated to on New Year's Eve and set aside the ones I didn't donate to for consideration in 2017.

I don't know why I still procrastinate.  I always feel so great after a task is completed.  I need you ladies to remind me of that. Woman Wink

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Valued Contributor

Oh, it felt so good to clean out the cards, and clutter on the counter.  It looked like I was in the process of moving after the holiday travel and all the hold mail showed up.  I still can't believe how long my stuff lasts--why did I think I needed AD's?  It's here, I paid for it, I am going to use it up, if I live that long.  Wishing all my fellow compacters a great 2017; I depend on all of you so much. 

Trusted Contributor

@kathie66 wrote:

Happy New Year Friends!!

Looking back on my 2016 Compact I did ok. One goal was to concentrate on Supersizes, using up and giving away as many in the stash as I could. I ended up using 112 products of all sizes and giving away 54. Out of those 166 products, 27 were supersized. I still have more in the stash, but made a nice dent in them. I learned it takes a LONG time to use up a supersized product, and you really have to love them or you get real tired of them by about halfway thru. I am finishing the couple I have open and moving on to normal sizes for awhile. (that will probably be almost springtime!)

Another goal I meet this year was using up my Laura Geller Babycakes Blush Palette. Its been on my compact list for years it seems! I used every bit and even though I loved the product I am glad its gone. I did well in stopping the madness of adding to my Bath and Body products stash, I bought very little and shopped my stash. Makeup is a whole other story!  

So this brings me to my goals for 2017. I am going back to previous years goal (before my 2016 Supersize goal) of using up my non core brands of shower gel. By 2018, I really want my stash to just have the brands of shower gel that I absolutely love. Hopefully I can finish up the brands I dont love as handsoap this year. This goal was put on hold last year while I used up Supersizes. Another goal this year is to use my makeup in a new way. Instead of using something up till its gone, I want to take a few blushes from my stash, use them each quarter, and keep what works and get rid of what doesnt. Same thing with lip products, and eyeliner. I had started this with eyeshadow palettes, did ok but need to be much more ruthless this year and get rid of what eyeshadow doesnt work. And stop adding to my collection! I only want to use up what works in my makeup stash, and let go of what doesnt.

Another goal I meet was reading 42 books this year. My goal was30. I am pretty proud of myself! I set a goal of 30 again this year. I have to earn some college credits that my work is requiring this year, this may impact my pleasure reading. I will have required reading this year! (Wish me luck I am a little nervous about the classes)

As for fun I had alot this year!  My 50th birthday trip to Harry Potter World and Disney was amazing. My fun this year will be visting my kids, they are both done with college now. My daughter recieved her PHD in November. Her job is about 2 hours away and my sons job is 5 hours away. I plan on visting them every chance I get, being with them is always fun and renews my heart and soul. I love them so much and are so proud of them. I am also thankful that they like and make time to spend with me.

I hope your 2017 is all you want it to be my friends. I count myself so lucky to have your friendship and support. It means more to me than words can say. I wish you all a Happy and Healthy and Succesful compacting New Year!

XXOO Kathie

Edited to correct Give Away total. I mistakenly put in my total for July at the half year mark, not my yearly total. Its correct now sorry.

@kathie66 Wow, you did pretty great all around in 2016!  That's great that you read so much!  You have inspired me to read more.  I'll try to get to the library more in 2017. And double wow on finishing the LG Baby Cakes!!

I gave up supersizes in Philosophy Purity Made Simple a while ago.  It was the only cleanser I used but I had a backstock that stressed me out big time.  That was a big breakthrough for me to give up the supersizes.  It was such a good value, but I worried that the backstock was going bad before I could get to them.

Then I started up with the mini/deluxe samples, thinking smaller sizes were better than jumbo sizes.  But I ended up with a backstock of those too.

I'm trying to wean myself off of buying backups of things I like that are on sale too.  Eventually I know that I will want to try something new and I can't do that until I use up what I already have.  I have to consciously tell myself that, no, you don't need to buy a backup now, even though it's on sale.  There will be another sale before you run out of product x.  I've also been burned by having my favorites discontinued so that's one reason that I like to stock up.  But there will always be another favorite to discover.  

@kathie66 I did the same thing that you are planning to do.  I had seasonally capsule makeup collections that I used for 3 months.  If I didn't like it after that season, I decluttered it.  If I liked it but didn't finish it, I put it back in the stash or continued to use it up.  Being able to change things out seasonally helped me to get good usage out of my products and also change things up to give me the variety I craved.  It was fun to plan out my capsules.  I was able to hit pan on a lot more products than I ever did before.  Good luck to you!

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl - good luck with HEP this year.  Sugar is hard to eliminate. It is really in everything.  I have a quarter of the junk I use to keep around so I feel I am starting off the year on a good foot. I feel really motivated to do this and feel ready to get committed. I hope it is not just the excitement of the new year.  It is time to get fit.  I need to fit into my clothes again. I have gone shopping but really dont find much.  I dont like how I look in anything with the extra weight.

My makeup goals this year is to use the same foundations in order to use them up and just change out my color cosmetics every two weeks and then when I have cycled through my palettes some, change them out every month.  Eyeliners, I might start with the ones that have to be sharpened so I can get through some faster. I really want to get some things out of my collection.  I am making baskets with the products I want to focus on and put the rest in the closet.

I love to learn of new blogs so I will check out the one you mentioned. Thanks. 

@aprilskies I feel the same way as you.  Shopping for clothes is just not enjoyable right now.  Nothing looks good.  I'm determined to exercise more and have less sugar.  And I will enjoy this time of no shopping.  Sometimes I stress myself out trying to keep my status at favorite stores.  But why?  It really doesn't gain me anything to spave.  

Good luck with the eyeliners.  They can add up fast when they come in kits.  In 2016, I realized that 1. I didn't look much different without eyeliner and 2. eyeliner made my eyelashes look shorter because it took up lidspace.  So I stopped using eyeliner, gasp.  I just tossed a ColourPop gel liner that I haven't used in over 6 months.  I have one tiny nub of black pencil liner for special occasions.  BTW, I also just tossed my last remaining ColourPop eyeshadow.  I hit pan on it but I rarely used it and it was getting dry.  So I guess I got over my ColourPop curiosity pretty quickly.  I'm just happy that I didn't go crazy and buy a lot.

I decided to do another pan that palette for 2017.  I'm working on my Urban Decay 6-pan palette that I customized so I know that I like all the colors.  In addition to that, I change out another eyeshadow palette seasonally.  That seemed to work well for me in 2016.  I was able to hit pan on a bunch of shadows, which made me feel like I got some good use out of them.  My weakness is still eyeshadow palettes.  I bought 3 small ones during the holiday sales so I will be able to rotate and dare I hope, finish them in my seasonal capsules.  

I do know for certain that as my collection has been dwindling, I am enjoying what's left.  It's been fun to get ready in the morning, even though I'm using the same things everyday.  Isn't that ironic?  My collection is still double of my ideal size, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!    If I can just stick to my goals this year, I will be at my ideal capsule collection by December.  

OK, time to jump on the stationary bike and watch a video.  Good luck in your 2017 goals!    

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl - good luck with HEP this year.  Sugar is hard to eliminate. It is really in everything.  I have a quarter of the junk I use to keep around so I feel I am starting off the year on a good foot. I feel really motivated to do this and feel ready to get committed. I hope it is not just the excitement of the new year.  It is time to get fit.  I need to fit into my clothes again. I have gone shopping but really dont find much.  I dont like how I look in anything with the extra weight.

I have to say that even though my weight has fluctuated again, those prAna pants I bought still fit perfectly.  Getting back on track should be easier now that the holidays are over.

Some tips:

Think moderation.  No food should be forbidden.  If you love something, it's cruel to not allow yourself to enjoy it.  Just enjoy it less often.

Don't enjoy it when you're hungry.  A bowl of gelato is fine, but if you're hungry you'll eat the entire container in one sitting. 

Know the difference between a snack and a treat.  A truffle is a treat.  A whole box of truffles is not a snack.  An apple is a snack.

If a particular food is a problem for you, don't bring it into the house.  I've been off white cheddar popcorn for a while, but we have a whole case of microwave popcorn in the pantry.  I had some yesterday but it's just not the white stuff.  The problem with the cheddar popcorn is this: If a bag is in the house I will choose the popcorn over something else.  I'd rather grab a couple halos instead. 

Halos

Yes, everything in moderation.  I was a dietetics major (hard to believe now) and that was what they told us all the time.  Everything in moderation.

Trusted Contributor

@rnmom wrote:

Happy 2017 fellow Compacters! 

Last year was a pretty good year for me. I had a net of 42 items leave the house. It would have been higher but I did some shopping over the holidays, stocked up on some items that I know I will like and the prices were good. I tried to choose mostly products that I have used before and know I will like but I did buy a few new things too. 

I kind of went off on a tangent last year because I wanted to try to go cruelty free with as many products as I could so I bought a lot of new items and frankly, there's not many of them that I care for. I know it's hit or miss with trying new products, some I'm still trying to use up, some I just tossed. I did go back to a few tried and true favorites even though they're not cruelty free, like my Covergirl foundation and my Suave shampoo and conditioner. But I am still trying to shop as much cruelty free as I can without being obsessive about it. 

This year I want to try to continue to work thru as many unloved products as possible and unfortunately, there are still several here. I went overboard in July when SKINN has their anniversary sales and really don't like anything that I purchased. I ended up just tossing some and I'm again, still working on using up some of it and probably will be for months yet.

The goal for me hasn't changed, to try to have only products here that I use and love. No more over buying, even if it means paying for shipping! I'd love to actually buy a product because I need it, not just because it's a good price. I did that the other day for the first time in ages. My AM facial cleanser is just about gone, and I'm glad because I don't like it, so I bought a big 16oz jug of Kroger brand gentle face cleanser for $6 at the grocery store. It is a Cetaphil knock off apparently. I don't really care what I use to clean my face in the morning as long as it's not too drying, so hopefully if this one will be ok, I will be set for a year. And if I don't love it, it didn't cost much. 

I also follow a blog called Mary Organizes and they do a 91 day declutter challenge at the start of every new year, the latest one starts today. I've been following that the last couple of years and will again this year and it really helps kickstart the year.

Justbee-you might like it if you want to start purging in January. 

Here's to a great 2017 everyone!

@rnmom I went on a tangent too and am trying to use "cleaner" less toxic products.  I know chemicals are everywhere so I wanted to take a stab at reducing the amount that are in the beauty products I use.  Changes like that are always dangerous for me because I'm on the hunt for new things and like you said, it's very hit or miss.  I forced myself to exercise some self-control and have been sticking to only the items I get in my monthly Beauty-Heroes boxes.  I have been tempted to buy backups of the products I like but I know I will get a new skincare product next month and I don't need backups.  Having this new ingredient criteria has definitely helped me to stop buying new makeup.  It's pretty hard to find products that meet this new criteria and most times I am too lazy to look up all the ingredients so I just end up not buying anything.  Which is the goal.  God knows I don't need more makeup, clean or not.  Good luck to you in 2017!

Honored Contributor

@Beauty$Junkie wrote:

Oh, it felt so good to clean out the cards, and clutter on the counter.  It looked like I was in the process of moving after the holiday travel and all the hold mail showed up.  I still can't believe how long my stuff lasts--why did I think I needed AD's?  It's here, I paid for it, I am going to use it up, if I live that long.  Wishing all my fellow compacters a great 2017; I depend on all of you so much. 

I wasted so much product with auto-delivery.  I just couldn't use it quickly enough and spent all my time pushing back shipments.  I canceled all deliveries and then when I ordered a product I'd order back-ups to get free shipping.  Same difference: Too much product on hand.

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

I'm trying to wean myself off of buying backups of things I like that are on sale too.  Eventually I know that I will want to try something new and I can't do that until I use up what I already have.  I have to consciously tell myself that, no, you don't need to buy a backup now, even though it's on sale.  There will be another sale before you run out of product x.  I've also been burned by having my favorites discontinued so that's one reason that I like to stock up.  But there will always be another favorite to discover.  

This is the hardest thing to do because I want to take advantage of a great sale price AND get the free shipping.  I've discovered that stockpiling works best if it's an item that will absolutely be used.  Like toilet paper.

There are a few things that I still buy in multiples when I see a real deal.  I'll stock Paula's Choice facial cleanser, pure grace spritz, Lumene CC cream and BB serum, toothpaste, deodorant, Konjac sponges and body Buf-Pufs.  Oh -- and tea.  And socks.

I used to stock a year's supply of mascara and eyeliner, but I've backed off.  My habits will change now that drugstore.com has gone away.

But you're absolutely right: There will be another sale.  The habit I need to break is buying more than one item when I don't even know if I'll like it.  Like the two jugs of shampoo from Costco.  I'm stuck with this stuff now.