Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- February!

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

Speaking of dogs... how's the girl?

She's as happy as a pig in mud the last few weeks...she has a new little brother. Yep, the very last thing we need around here is another dog, but apparently we now have one. He was a drop-off that followed the old geezer home one day and stayed. The monster dog fell instantly in love. He became her favorite chew toy. It's hilarious, a true Mutt and Jeff picture. She, at 90+lbs., absolutely gorgeous with a pedigree a mile long and the most obnoxious personality I've ever seen. He, at a mere 16lbs.--he appears to be a Shih Tzu/Jack Russell cross of some kind--with a face and body that belongs in an SPCA commercial and the most humble, eager-to-please attitude.

It's a trip. We'll see how long it lasts. Or rather, how long WE last.

@geezerette

Oh my goodness!  I hope the affair lasts and they're both happy.  How come it's always the ones who choose you that are such treasures?

Is the cat getting a break?

Yes, the cat is quite happy.  Well, as happy as he can be with yet another unwanted (on his part) dog in the house.  At least this one is his size and much calmer than the monster dog.  In fact, as far as the cat is concerned, the little dog can stay and the big one can move on.

In answer to your first question, I think it's because those connections are meant to be.  I wasn't as smart as you were, to wait for the right dog to find me.  I had to rush fate and it hasn't worked well.  In the last few weeks a lot of things that have been plaguing me for a long time have suddenly become crystal clear. I have never been happy/satisfied with being my own unique self, I've always wanted to be like everybody else, to "fit in".  But every time I do something that deep inside feels wrong or alien to me to be like everybody else, I get scr*wed.  I thought I had conquered that, but I haven't.    This can be applied to The Compact and even the HEP, as well.  I know what I should do and what I shouldn't, yet I constantly let other people influence me.  Why?

Funny how one scrawny little homeless pup can influence so much with so little.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

She's as happy as a pig in mud the last few weeks...she has a new little brother. Yep, the very last thing we need around here is another dog, but apparently we now have one. He was a drop-off that followed the old geezer home one day and stayed. The monster dog fell instantly in love. He became her favorite chew toy. It's hilarious, a true Mutt and Jeff picture. She, at 90+lbs., absolutely gorgeous with a pedigree a mile long and the most obnoxious personality I've ever seen. He, at a mere 16lbs.--he appears to be a Shih Tzu/Jack Russell cross of some kind--with a face and body that belongs in an SPCA commercial and the most humble, eager-to-please attitude.

@geezerette

Oh my goodness!  I hope the affair lasts and they're both happy.  How come it's always the ones who choose you that are such treasures?

Yes, the cat is quite happy.  Well, as happy as he can be with yet another unwanted (on his part) dog in the house.  At least this one is his size and much calmer than the monster dog.  In fact, as far as the cat is concerned, the little dog can stay and the big one can move on.

In answer to your first question, I think it's because those connections are meant to be.  I wasn't as smart as you were, to wait for the right dog to find me.  I had to rush fate and it hasn't worked well.  In the last few weeks a lot of things that have been plaguing me for a long time have suddenly become crystal clear. I have never been happy/satisfied with being my own unique self, I've always wanted to be like everybody else, to "fit in".  But every time I do something that deep inside feels wrong or alien to me to be like everybody else, I get scr*wed.  I thought I had conquered that, but I haven't.    This can be applied to The Compact and even the HEP, as well.  I know what I should do and what I shouldn't, yet I constantly let other people influence me.  Why?

@geezerette

Like I said, they're here to teach us to be better versions of ourselves.  They show up for a reason.  Sometimes they don't look like what we had in mind, but there they are.  And it feels like they already know everything about us.  They've been assigned to us.  We are their job.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette

@geezerette

Like I said, they're here to teach us to be better versions of ourselves.  They show up for a reason.  Sometimes they don't look like what we had in mind, but there they are.  And it feels like they already know everything about us.  They've been assigned to us.  We are their job.

Ha!  The poor little guy!  I was just telling him the other day that I wasn't so sure he was better off with us or not, since his new job was to keep the big dog worn out.  Now you tell me he has to analyze me as well!  

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@geezerette

Ha!  The poor little guy!  I was just telling him the other day that I wasn't so sure he was better off with us or not, since his new job was to keep the big dog worn out.  Now you tell me he has to analyze me as well!  

@geezerette

He probably already knows your PIN.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are my Peeps.  You understand that the last handful of chips must be eaten immediately so that I can start losing weight.  But the kale can stay in the veggie drawer forever and culture a new species.

I am seeing steady progress in my capsule makeup products.  I think that I will not use foundation on the regular once I finish what I have.  I'm finding that it takes me too much time to apply and it's so sheer that it's not really needed.  Concealer is enough for me.

I finally found a lip balm that I enjoy using and the tub is halfway gone already.  I will throw out the other one that is sitting in my nightstand drawer.

Nail polish takes forever to use and I only use it on my toes, which are smaller than my fingernails so it takes even longer to finish the polish.  I've been getting a lot of emails from Zoya for some really good nail polish sales, but I have resisted so far.  I really only need a nude-mauve, a medium pink and a red.  So I probably have 10 too many bottles.

I also resisted an Urban Decay sale for their discontinued Revolution lipsticks (my favorite lipstick).  They were basically half-price, but I have a plan to finish all my lipsticks by 2018.  If I add anything new, I won't be able to meet my goal.  Even though they are my favorites, I know something else will catch my eye.  And I know these lipsticks are already old (they've been discontinued for awhile) and won't be able to last another year waiting in my stash for their turn.

I have finally accepted that I look the same no matter what products I use.  That has been my biggest revelation.  I was always looking for the miracle product that would solve all my issues, but it's like the newest exercise machine.  It only works if I use it.  Practically any product will work as long as I use it.

The termination of beauty.com and drugstore.com has actually been a blessing for me.  I have no convenient online retailer to buy from now.  Everyone else charges an extra arm to ship to Hawaii.  I have to really need something to buy online.  Oh, there is dermstore.com but they don't carry drugstore products that I used to stock up on before.  And Target.com's shipping is pretty slow.  As I'm getting older, I just don't want to shop in B&M stores (crowds & parking issues).  Online shopping was so/too easy.  I really have to be in the mood to drive to the store.

Disposal has been fixed but the oven & dishwasher are still waiting for parts.  My nails & cuticles are taking a beating from all the handwashing.  I need my dishwasher back.

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

You are my Peeps.  You understand that the last handful of chips must be eaten immediately so that I can start losing weight.  But the kale can stay in the veggie drawer forever and culture a new species.

I have finally accepted that I look the same no matter what products I use.  That has been my biggest revelation.  I was always looking for the miracle product that would solve all my issues, but it's like the newest exercise machine.  It only works if I use it.  Practically any product will work as long as I use it.

The termination of beauty.com and drugstore.com has actually been a blessing for me.  I have no convenient online retailer to buy from now.  Everyone else charges an extra arm to ship to Hawaii.  I have to really need something to buy online.  Oh, there is dermstore.com but they don't carry drugstore products that I used to stock up on before.  And Target.com's shipping is pretty slow.  As I'm getting older, I just don't want to shop in B&M stores (crowds & parking issues).  Online shopping was so/too easy.  I really have to be in the mood to drive to the store.

Disposal has been fixed but the oven & dishwasher are still waiting for parts.  My nails & cuticles are taking a beating from all the handwashing.  I need my dishwasher back.

Playtex

We still haven't replaced our dishwasher.  But I actually have a dishwasher: Better-half.  It's only fair: When he cooks he dirties every pan, plate, bowl, utensil and appliance in the kitchen.  The downside is that he sometimes chips and breaks dishes and glasses and he doesn't even attempt to remove tea stains from my mugs.

I've documented this and a copy is in his file.  It is now on his permanent record.  He's been put on notice.

One peculiarity about Better-half: He has a problem with certain items on his hands.  Newsprint, grease, oil.  It's like when your dog accidentally steps in a pile of ___.  This wild-eyed hysteria: "Get if off!  Get it off me!!!"

So Better-half discovered latex gloves.  He buys the ones at Costco designed for diabetics.  Is he diabetic?  Who knows?  He doesn't go to the doctor, either.  But these gloves aren't cheap.  I've suggested the clear plastic food-handling variety (I wear those when I play with the bird feeders), but he doesn't like them.  We did find something very similar to the latex gloves at a restaurant supply store and they're a fraction of the price.  Once we can stock those, I'm cutting him off from the pricey ones.  I like a glove when I'm using harsh measures to remove tea stains from my mugs.  I can use them with the birds, too.  But if you're going to have your hands in water, think retro rubber gloves.  Channel June Cleaver.  Got pearls?

As for drugstore.com, I'm adjusting to the loss.  And that's a pleasant surprise.

Practically any product will work as long as I use it.  You said it.  Doesn't that just sum it up?  But we don't use the products.  Instead we buy duplicates and don't use them, either.  It's diabolical.

Honored Contributor

SPAAHHRRTAN!

We interrupt this program for a progress report.

It's SPAAAHHHRRRTAN February: How is it going?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

In the last few weeks a lot of things that have been plaguing me for a long time have suddenly become crystal clear. I have never been happy/satisfied with being my own unique self, I've always wanted to be like everybody else, to "fit in".  But every time I do something that deep inside feels wrong or alien to me to be like everybody else, I get scr*wed.  I thought I had conquered that, but I haven't.   This can be applied to The Compact and even the HEP, as well.  I know what I should do and what I shouldn't, yet I constantly let other people influence me.  Why?

@geezerette

Well, as you know, I tend to obsess so naturally I haven't stopped thinking about what you wrote since you wrote it.  It must resonate with me, too -- this concept of not trusting myself to be myself.  On one level I am the Great Accommodator.  It's probably easier to accommodate and try to make everyone else happy -- easier to keep the peace.  That's also a good way to become bitter and resentful.  But then I work with psychopaths so it's probably better for everyone to just jolly dog them. 

I learned about jolly dogging when I owned a beautiful but unbalanced Doberman.  It was like living with the canine version of Vivien Leigh.  Sometimes it required me to assume the play position and "wag my tail."  No wonder I have quirky knees.

But your post sent me on a journey to find a quote.  It's from e.e. cummings.  As with most famous quotes, there are several versions so I'm going to post three of them.

“To be nobody but yourself in a world that’s doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting.”

An example of how the choice of words can make a real difference:

“To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else – means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.”

Finally, the Reader's Digest condensed version:

"The hardest challenge is to be yourself in a world where everyone is trying to make you be somebody else."

Do any of these ring true for you?  Continue to fight the good fight.  Resist groupthink and self-censorship.  Just be(e) you.

Trusted Contributor

Nice of you to ask, @just bee. Arguably, I don't need to buy anything, anytime soon. That hasn't kept me from buying several things: an eye shadow, a cat toy, a book or two, a tee shirt, 2 patio chairs. I think I've wandered off into the weeds. 

Marco!

Honored Contributor

@KaySD wrote:

Nice of you to ask, @just bee. Arguably, I don't need to buy anything, anytime soon. That hasn't kept me from buying several things: an eye shadow, a cat toy, a book or two, a tee shirt, 2 patio chairs. I think I've wandered off into the weeds. 

Marco!

Ah, weeds.  We in the West know them well.

Weeds

I was in the weeds in January, but February has remained SPAAAHHHRRRTAN!

Tax time looms.