Respected Contributor

Re: ComPact 2017 -- February!

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Geez - good luck with your new addition.  It seems to me that both your pups helped you come to a big realization.   They come into our lives for a reason.  Btw, I struggle with the same thing.

Just Bee - has is your pup?  I remember him having some issues. I hope he is better.

Old habits die hard, but it's never too late to acquire new ones.  If we can't be who we are, who will be?

As for Mr. Wonderful, he just had a birthday last week.  We don't actually know when he was born, so we made the day he found us his birthday.  Now that's a day worth celebrating.  He's the gift that keeps on giving.

It was in the mid-70s on his birthday and today we're expecting snain.  Gotta get him out and about before it gets wet.  He's a true desert dog -- he hates water.  It makes me laugh because he's been labeled a Lab cross by his vet.  Like every black dog in America is a Lab cross. 

I know Labs.  Labs have been friends of mine.  He's no Labrador Retriever. 

Old habits sure do die hard.  

I am glad the pup is okay.  lol, that is too funny.  Just slap the label of lab on him and call it a day. Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Geez - good luck with your new addition.  It seems to me that both your pups helped you come to a big realization.   They come into our lives for a reason.  Btw, I struggle with the same thing.

Just Bee - has is your pup?  I remember him having some issues. I hope he is better.

Old habits die hard, but it's never too late to acquire new ones.  If we can't be who we are, who will be?

As for Mr. Wonderful, he just had a birthday last week.  We don't actually know when he was born, so we made the day he found us his birthday.  Now that's a day worth celebrating.  He's the gift that keeps on giving.

It was in the mid-70s on his birthday and today we're expecting snain.  Gotta get him out and about before it gets wet.  He's a true desert dog -- he hates water.  It makes me laugh because he's been labeled a Lab cross by his vet.  Like every black dog in America is a Lab cross. 

I am glad the pup is okay.  lol, that is too funny.  Just slap the label of lab on him and call it a day. Smiley Tongue

No can do!  This dog is a herder!  He knows he's a Kelpie.  I know he's a Kelpie.  He looks like one, acts like one, moves like one, thinks like one.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Well, there goes my HEP yet again!  Not one, but two boxes of chocolate for Valentine's Day!  

The old geezer is going to kill me with love...but what a way to go!  💝😄

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

No can do!  This dog is a herder!  He knows he's a Kelpie.  I know he's a Kelpie.  He looks like one, acts like one, moves like one, thinks like one.

Well, you know, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, .......

Btw, I was being sarcastic.  I cant believe a vet couldn't tell the breed.  Although, I suppose it is tough at times. 

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Well, there goes my HEP yet again!  Not one, but two boxes of chocolate for Valentine's Day!  

The old geezer is going to kill me with love...but what a way to go!  💝😄

Chocolate doesn't count on Valentine's Day. I think that particular chocolate has zero calories. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Well, you know, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, .......

Btw, I was being sarcastic.  I cant believe a vet couldn't tell the breed.  Although, I suppose it is tough at times. 

I am constantly amazed at the amount of information I think my vet should know, but doesn't.

Honored Contributor

Ten days to go!  How's February's no-buy?

I didn't even buy tickets for The Glenn Miller Orchestra this month.  (I'm channeling Silas Marner.  Told myself that if I was in the mood to hear Glenn Miller, I could listen to the "real" Glenn Miller at home.  Now that's cheap.)

But I have incentive not to contribute to our economy and shop.  After I pay state and federal taxes, it's time for property taxes.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

I failed the no buy.  I bought a Skinn moisturizer and while I like it, didn't need it just yet but the special and coupon made me take the plunge.  I wasn't even going to replace the neck cream but I really like how it feels when my neck is so dry, it is rich.  Now the only thing is that I have to control myself from going down a spiral.  Sometimes the first purchase sends me tumbling, which is why I was trying not to make one. 

On the bright side, I am continuing to use things up and/or tossing if I find products don't work for me or are no longer good. However, I make every effort to use things if I can. So far 22 products/mu items gone and I am not counting everyday essentials like toothpaste.  I really am on a good path on clearing products out this year if I can just stay mindful of using what I have and not bringing a ton more in.  

However, even with the minor neck cream hiccup, my spending 

across the board has really been mindful so far and I am planning to stay the course. I am beginning to love it actually.  No more haphazardly buying makeup or skincare I just have to have but never use.  

Looking forward to really paring down in 2017. 

I hope everyone is doing well. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I failed the no buy.  I bought a Skinn moisturizer and while I like it, didn't need it just yet but the special and coupon made me take the plunge.  I wasn't even going to replace the neck cream but I really like how it feels when my neck is so dry, it is rich.  Now the only thing is that I have to control myself from going down a spiral.  Sometimes the first purchase sends me tumbling, which is why I was trying not to make one. 

On the bright side, I am continuing to use things up and/or tossing if I find products don't work for me or are no longer good. However, I make every effort to use things if I can. So far 22 products/mu items gone and I am not counting everyday essentials like toothpaste.  I really am on a good path on clearing products out this year if I can just stay mindful of using what I have and not bringing a ton more in.  

However, even with the minor neck cream hiccup, my spending 

across the board has really been mindful so far and I am planning to stay the course. I am beginning to love it actually.  No more haphazardly buying makeup or skincare I just have to have but never use.  

Looking forward to really paring down in 2017. 

I hope everyone is doing well. 

It takes some time, doesn't it?  But gone is the era when I'd go shopping on my days off and fill a cart with things I just didn't need.  And gone is the era when just because I received a catalog in the mail I was obligated to order something.

But it's true about the first purchase and tumbling.  It's similar to having just one potato chip.

I guess you really have to treat it like an addiction.  You have to avoid the situations that lead to acquisition.  I stay out of the stores.

Respected Contributor

I wasn't on a no buy for February, but I am trying to be more mindful of my purchases in general. I placed an order from Ulta that came earlier this month, some new skincare that I actually needed, I was just about out of my AM and PM moisturizers. I bought some new brands to try and made sure to try them all and make sure I liked them all because I was going to return them if I didn't. So far they seem to be working good. I also bought 4 very inexpensive makeup items to try because I'm looking for a new concealer and I wanted free shipping! None of the makeup items worked so I mailed them back. I will only net about $5 back after I pay for shipping, but I still sent them back because otherwise they'd just be sitting here and I'd probably just end up throwing them out a couple of months from now. 

I see that SKINN is on again this weekend and I'm refraining from watching too many of his shows. I've spent so much money trying his products, so many products, and I just haven't been pleased with any of my recent purchases from him. There were some that I liked when I first started buying from him 3-4 years ago, but I just haven't been impressed lately and I REALLY want to get away from using so many products. I just want to go back to the basics, I'm tired of having SO many different products here.

The whole house decluttering continues also. I dropped 2 big bags and a small box of items off to the Salvation Army. I'll be working on the kids rooms over the next couple of weeks but I've done so much decluttering over the last couple of years there's really not that much left to get rid of. I have a few items from my younger son's room, some books and a few clothing items, but that's about it. I will finish his room today and my older son's room next week.