Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- OCTOBER!

I'm with all of you who wonder where October is going! The less I do, the faster time goes, but the happier I mostly feel. What's that about?

Meanwhile, I just bought replacements for my fave brow pencil (McEvoy) and eye liner (Clinique Kajal). I just wanted to have them on hand because they do get used up. I have a box of such spares, but not multiples. (Okay, I have a handful of lipsticks, but all in use.) I also bit the bullet and tossed all the Wen in my cupboard. I know I overbought, and I'm not proud of that, but I also know I won't use it. Now I want a new fragrance purse roller! I do have others. My excuse is that it's a different fragrance,...

So my beauty buying is, if not exactly minimal, at least under control. But clothes are a different story. I recently discovered that Logo, which I'd been ignoring, is comfortable and fun to wear. I've been overspending on that and my closet is very full. Lovely stuff, but I seem to be insatiable. Gulp! 

Trusted Contributor

Ha, I actually use the Kondo method now! Do I love everything I have? If not, it gets donated or thrown out. 

You just have to get it out of your sight or it will eat at you and drive you crazy. We all make mistakes right? Everyone spends their money differently.

I find it really hard during the holidy season because they have such great kits and sets out, but I am holding strong. I needed more moisturizer so buying the Clinique moisture surge kit was a good purchase because I was scraping the bottom of the jar. 

Respected Contributor

This morning I got on a roll and went through my closet.  Got a big bag of clothes together for donation.Things I dont reach for, things that I have to keep adjusting and fiddling with, colors that just dont work for me etc.  I know I could of done another bag but held off for now.  I am adding clothes but I really want to get my closet to where I love it or, at the very least, things I reach for. Once I lose a bit of weight, I will tackle it again.

Next up are beauty products. I know I have mascaras that didnt work for me and was trying to use them up but I dont reach for them because I am tired of looking like a racoon. So, time to go through my mu and see what I just know I wont use.  This will be good though because going through my stuff will keep me out of trouble when the next beauty temptation comes my way and the temptations are coming.

Respected Contributor

Happy Birthday, Just Bee.  I hope you and your better-half enjoy your birthdays and here's to many more.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

Happy Birthday, Just Bee.  I hope you and your better-half enjoy your birthdays and here's to many more.

Well, today he dragged me to REI to look at pants.  I begrudgingly tried on a couple pairs (Kühl and prAna) and was stunned by the fit.  They fit.  As in, they fit.  In a flattering way.  He convinced me that I was paying for quality and I wouldn't be disappointed.  When I got home I went online and discovered one of the pairs was on sale (with free shipping) on the manufacturer's site (prAna).  In many colors.  He told me that I finally found a decent pair of pants so I should buy more.  So... I did.

Now that I have finally found non-denim casual pants that fit really well, are flattering and have usable pockets, I can go through my closets and pull out all the losers and free up some hangers.

The prAna pants have a skinny leg so that might get me to pull out some of my sweaters and wear them this year. 

Meme travel pant

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee 

Happy Birthday to you!  And your Better-Half, too!  🎂🍰💇🏻

Trusted Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Well, today he dragged me to REI to look at pants.  I begrudgingly tried on a couple pairs (Kühl and prAna) and was stunned by the fit.  They fit.  As in, they fit.  In a flattering way.  He convinced me that I was paying for quality and I wouldn't be disappointed.  When I got home I went online and discovered one of the pairs was on sale (with free shipping) on the manufacturer's site (prAna).  In many colors.  He told me that I finally found a decent pair of pants so I should buy more.  So... I did.

Now that I have finally found non-denim casual pants that fit really well, are flattering and have usable pockets, I can go through my closets and pull out all the losers and free up some hangers.

The prAna pants have a skinny leg so that might get me to pull out some of my sweaters and wear them this year. 

Meme travel pant

Oooh, I ike them!  Looks like a good purchase to me.  Flattering pants are so hard to find.  When I find one, I buy one more.   At least I've gotten to the point where I don't try to rationalize ill-fitting pants that are on sale.  Enjoy them & happy birthday x 2!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oshare-girl wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Meme travel pant

Oooh, I ike them!  Looks like a good purchase to me.  Flattering pants are so hard to find.  When I find one, I buy one more.   At least I've gotten to the point where I don't try to rationalize ill-fitting pants that are on sale.  Enjoy them & happy birthday x 2!

I like these too.  Nice find.  Enjoy.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee 

Happy Birthday to you!  And your Better-Half, too!  🎂🍰💇🏻

Thanks!  Have no idea what we'll do but we still have a few days to think about it.  We don't exchange gifts, but this year I hinted that we needed to refresh our wardrobes because I sensed the dog was embarrassed to be seen in public with us.

I wasn't keeping up on the prices because I haven't bought clothes in a very long time.  When we need new jeans we go to Costco and pick up a pair for around thirteen bucks.  Curious, I went online to see what a pair of Levi's costs these days.  Whoa -- where have I been?

I just paid more for pants than I've ever paid before and then the old habits kicked in.  I can't wear these.  I'll save them.

For what?  I was thinking it wouldn't be right to wear them to the bosque with the dog.  Better-half just looked at me and said: "That's what they're for.  These are outdoors clothes."  Hiking, climbing, walking the dog.

So now I have pants.  Skinny legs so I have no excuse to not wear all the shoes and boots and sandals that I haven't been wearing.

So I just injected some life into my closets.  I think it's safe to say I've been in a fashion rut for too long.  Like a sheep, it's time for me to ditch the fleece.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

I like these too.  Nice find.  Enjoy.

Well, I figured I got into the jeans habit about 44 years ago and it was time for a change.  Especially since the jeans I've been wearing are shapeless and unfortunate-looking.  These Meme travel pants are 97% nylon and 3% Spandex.  How weird is that?  Sounds more like pantyhose than pants, huh?

The Kühl pants I wore yesterday are made of TUFFLEX™ (88% Nylon, 12% Spandex).  Now I need to test these.  Will they be warm when the temperature drops?

It just occurred to me that the prAna pants might be appropriate if I choose to get the bike off the garage wall and actually ride it.  I may have to test that, too.

The great outdoors awaits!  And so do the weeds.  Better make another mug of tea before I head out and face the little buggers.