Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- OCTOBER!

@PAlady wrote:

Hope they did not drop the ring.

Ar, ar, ar, ar!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@PAlady wrote:

Hope they did not drop the ring.

Lmbo!

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
Seriously, Go through my entire wardrobe seasonally. Find since stopping impulse purchasing, Clothes are more controllable. Donate items no longer wear for any number of reasons. Clutter free!! The only way for me.😍

Summer's over and I just realized another year has gone by and I never pulled out the sandal collection.  Didn't wear a dress.  Didn't wear the capris.

My life has become ultra-casual.  I wear scrubs to work and on my days off I wear jeans, T-shirts and sweatshirts.  I wear hiking boots when I take the dog out.  I have a variety of sweaters and jackets and coats and capes and I still grab a sweatshirt when I go out into the cold.

I'm hoping I can break the sweatshirt habit and start wearing some of my sweaters.  And I have blazers.  I can't remember the last time I wore a blazer.  I used to live in blazers.  A million scarves.  Can't remember the last time I wore one.

And I don't even want to discuss the jewelry.  Or the boots.  Or the ballet flats.  The heels.  I even have wingtips.  I have two pairs of elaborate cowboy boots.  Really.

What am I "saving" these things for?  Why can't I wear a cashmere sweater to Costco?  Or a cape to work?  Or a leather bomber to walk the dog?

Cotton has really become the fabric of my life.

I think life changes and we want comfort and easy, not fussy. i am amazed how my tastes have changed. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@dperry wrote:

Question on the freshness of makeup: I have a lipstick that is 5 years old is it still safe to use? It is not rancid and appears in perfect condition, but I always read that you should not use old makeup. Is this true or just another way for companies to make us feel as we have to buy new stuff?

When I moved out here 20+ years ago I bought a ton of Avon products from a coworker.  A lot of what I purchased was lipstick.  Odd, since I've never developed the lipstick habit.  I generally choose the shades that look great in the tube and unfortunate on my mouth.  And no matter the color, the stuff migrates to my teeth.

Tubes sat for years.  They were still usable, but by then lipstick formulas had improved and color trends had changed.  I ended up tossing all of them. 

If they smell all right and look all right, I'll use them.  But if they dry out my lips, out they go.  Try it out.  If there are no ill effects, keep it.  These things are usually so full of chemicals that they have a decent shelf life.

I would still use it too if it smells and looks good. They last a bit after expiration. 

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed reading everyone's stories. Sounds like everyone is doing so good.  Congrats to all the new jobs, novels, etc. good stuff.  

Trusted Contributor

Dperry, how many people dream of writing a book but never try?  It is amazing that you have done it!  Good luck finding an agent.  Just think, we might read your novel.  Of course, Kathie66 will.  She is on a reading spree.  {{thumbs up}}  Also, I hope you are recuperating nicely from your back surgery.

Oshare-girl, good luck with your new job.

For who are participating, how are you doing reducing your sugar intake?  Today was a good day.  I ate one granola bar that probably had too much sugar in it.  Other than that, my diet was balanced and healthy.

For the second consecutive summer, I did not use self-tanner.  I simply no longer give a rip if my legs are pale.  Don't like them, put on shades.  I am so glad I never stocked up on self-tanners.

Signing off!

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

Dperry, how many people dream of writing a book but never try?  It is amazing that you have done it!  Good luck finding an agent.  Just think, we might read your novel.  Of course, Kathie66 will.  She is on a reading spree.  {{thumbs up}}  Also, I hope you are recuperating nicely from your back surgery.

Oshare-girl, good luck with your new job.

For who are participating, how are you doing reducing your sugar intake?  Today was a good day.  I ate one granola bar that probably had too much sugar in it.  Other than that, my diet was balanced and healthy.

For the second consecutive summer, I did not use self-tanner.  I simply no longer give a rip if my legs are pale.  Don't like them, put on shades.  I am so glad I never stocked up on self-tanners.

Signing off!

It's amazing that we can actually survive without all the things we're told we need.

Now we're being told we need to replace our dust mite-filled mattresses, and buy new pillows and Boll & Branch sheets.  Have you noticed this trend?

It's like when we were told we had to buy Starbucks.

Oh, look.  Another mattress commercial. 

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

It's official.  Try Googling drugstore.com or beauty.com.  What comes up?  Walgreens.

Does this mean I won't be seeing all those drugstore.com and beauty.com emails?

This definitely changes my buying habits.  I will no longer do an annual stock-up of basics.  I'll miss drugstore.com.

Honored Contributor

It's time to change seasonal scents around here.  At the kitchen sink, philosophy's bananas foster is finally at the stage where I've added water to what's left in the bottle to get that last bit of banana out.  I had posted that a maple scent would be replacing it but now I realize the bottle that's been sitting in the closet is actually hot buttered rum.  That will be nice in the kitchen!

In the bathroom, at the sink, my ancient bottle of amazing grace is dwindling and will be replaced by an ancient bottle of cinnamon buns.  These are small -- 8 ounces.

In the shower, B&BW is coming out to be replaced by philosophy's caramel candy corn.  I still have a regular candy corn in the stash.

So fall "flavors" are in place.  I looked up my last B&BW order and it was 12/31/2011 -- and it was marked-down Vanilla Bean Noel lotion.  A ton of it.  That's still in the closet.  Unused.

The irony: I decided to buy vanilla scents because studies show vanilla reduces stress.  But all these unused vanilla scents only produce more stress.

Foiled again!

Trusted Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@dperry wrote:

Question on the freshness of makeup: I have a lipstick that is 5 years old is it still safe to use? It is not rancid and appears in perfect condition, but I always read that you should not use old makeup. Is this true or just another way for companies to make us feel as we have to buy new stuff?

When I moved out here 20+ years ago I bought a ton of Avon products from a coworker.  A lot of what I purchased was lipstick.  Odd, since I've never developed the lipstick habit.  I generally choose the shades that look great in the tube and unfortunate on my mouth.  And no matter the color, the stuff migrates to my teeth.

Tubes sat for years.  They were still usable, but by then lipstick formulas had improved and color trends had changed.  I ended up tossing all of them. 

If they smell all right and look all right, I'll use them.  But if they dry out my lips, out they go.  Try it out.  If there are no ill effects, keep it.  These things are usually so full of chemicals that they have a decent shelf life.

I would still use it too if it smells and looks good. They last a bit after expiration. 

ITA.  If it doesn't smell or look weird, I would use it.  To be extra safe, you could wipe the bullet with rubbing alcohol.

Paws and enjoy life.