Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- OCTOBER!

@dosey wrote:

Hi everyone!  Hope all are well and happy, pets included!

First off, big prayers are needed.  We have family on the east coast of Florida, and they are not evacuating!!!  I am so worried for them.

I don't have any empties to report, but I did toss two things.  1) A pore minimizer that I thought would keep pores clean.  It doesn't.  2) A tinted lip balm that I do not like.  Everytime I apply it, it looks like it is smeared on my lips.  Why did I hang onto it this long when I have other choices?

Once again, I have piles of papers to go through.  Five piles!!  Why did I not take care of each paper as it came in?  I just do not know.

As far as HEP goes, I have been eating foods that are really good for me - fruits, vegetables, fish, etc., but I have also been eating pounds of sugar!!!  Has anyone noticed that as you age it becomes more difficult to digest simple carbs and that they also make you feel sluggish and tired.  I am so drained.  Would anyone be interested in going sugar free for the rest of the month with me?  I could use the support because the more stress I feel, the more sugar I consume.  It is hard to tell myself no.

ComPact on!!

Sugar-free is a fantasy.  We live in a time when flavor means seasoning and seasoning means salt and sugar.  I picture elaborate spice racks in kitchens all over America that have never been touched.  They are simply kitchen decor.  People can live with just garlic powder, garlic salt, Italian seasoning and Mexican seasoning.  Now that's gourmet!

But this is how our national palate has been trained.  There was a thread on the other forum about foods people couldn't bring themselves to eat.  Most of the foods posted were my personal favorites.  Brussels sprouts, curry, sushi, sour cream, beets, mushrooms, olives, cilantro, asparagus, peas, spinach, zucchini -- the list is a mile long!  There were only two things I tend to avoid: Tripe and balut.  But I digress.

We are addicted to salt and sugar.  Like I said, I added up all the sugar I was packing for lunch and was mortified.  Even if you're cutting back on pastry and candy, you're still eating too much sugar.  Start looking at the labels and serving sizes.  Start with your favorite yogurt.

A nurse at work is gluten-free and is trying to make the rest of us see the error of our ways.  Bread and pasta are bad.  Wheat is evil.  Now that's one bandwagon I can't climb on.  She's warning us about the "wheat belly."  Is that enough to make me give up linguine?  I prefer to call it my Botticelli belly.  Now give me that pizza.

But I will tell you that reducing the sugar at work has made me feel better and more alert.  I have more energy, not less.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

http://www.breakthetwitch.com/false-first-step/

I tried to attach an article but not sure it worked.  In any case, it is above if you are interested. You will have to copy and paste the url. Certain parts of this one had me laughing out loud. Probably because most things I do are false starts. I was just glad to see my insanity isn't unique to just me.  

Honored Contributor

@dperry wrote:

I am doing much better about buying too much makeup and skincare. But about six months ago I bought about six eyeshadows to make a palette from Bobbi Brown because I had two coupons in a few months from Gilt for $30 off an $80 order. I ordered them and did not like them. In fact, I ordered several lipsticks too that I had always liked before, but now I don't and I broke them on purpose and threw them away!  First I am older and my skin needs lighter colors. Bobbi Brown's colors are too muddy or bright for me--nothing in between so I should have sent them back, but no, what did I do? Put  them in my "stash" until I could not send them back anymore. I also threw the eyeshadow palette away. I had to do that to show myself what I was doing. I was buying for a face I no longer have. I need softer lighter colors.

Also, my lifestyle has changed. I am only 50, but I am not working like I used to. Since I took care of my dad while he had cancer until he died I have not wanted to go back to my profession of Museum Professional--for many reasons. I am the luckiest woman in the world because my husband makes a very good living and has allowed me not to go back to work, but to fulfill my dream of writing a novel--which I have!  I am now working on the final draft and next month I will be looking for an agent.

In addition, I just had my second back surgery and my health is not as perfect as before. I have to accept some limitations. Also, I am in perimenapause so for all these reasons that I am blabbering about I need to only buy clothes and makeup for the life I am leading now. I made a few expensive mistakes as I mentioned above. Now I need to stop it and pay attention and ask myself before I buy anymore makeup why I would need that. I only look good in rose pink blush and lip colors and taupe eyeshadow so, why would I buy anything else?

But all the Holiday products are so pretty! I have to be strong! That is why I have come back for some support from you all on the Compact Thread. Thanks for listening to my rambling post. 

WOW!

That's amazing!  What an accomplishment!  They say every person has a novel inside and you have yours!  Most of us just sit on ours.

What does that even feel like? 

Well, this is all very exciting.  It looks like you ComPactors are making some really significant changes in your lives.  I'll be coming here for inspiration!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@dosey wrote:

We have not been able to get in touch with our family in Florida.  I think the phone lines are jammed.  We will keep trying.

I forgot to mention that I received the Eve Pearl TSV and really like it.  The only problem is that I am a true light-medium.  I ordered the medium because I knew the light would be too light.  After using the EP foundation a few times, I find that I am using more of the 40% side (light) than the 60% side (medium), so this will not work for me.  Maybe EP will offer more shades.  Until then, I cancelled the auto-delivery.

Like many of you, I find that my complexion is changing.  It is becoming much drier, and many colors no longer work for me.  More reasons to not stock up.  If I wear a bright lip color, it must be sheer and not matte.  I have been using the Isomers Eye Duo.  After a few days, my eyes were not looking so good.  Then I remembered that this duo takes about two weeks before it starts to make a positive difference.  Finally, this morning I felt like my eyes were looking better.  So when I have used up the duo, I will take pictures of my bare eyes and compare them to the before pictures that I took after using a tube of CeraVe eye cream.  I am kind of excited to see if there will be a difference.

Well, I'll sign off.  I have to wake up early tomorrow.

Another reason to use the products we buy.  I finally used the electric toothbrush yesterday.  The one I bought in August.

I've had this weird stain (TEA!) on my front tooth for the longest time -- even cleaning at the dental office hasn't removed it.  I brushed my teeth yesterday and now it's gone.  I was thinking it was permanent.  And in two minutes -- poof!

I guess I'm back to using an electric toothbrush.

dosey, keep us posted on the Matthew situation.

Respected Contributor

Prayers for those in Mathews path or have family in its path.  How devastating this hurricane has been. I hope everything turns out ok. 

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I tried to attach an article but not sure it worked.  In any case, it is above if you are interested. You will have to copy and paste the url. Certain parts of this one had me laughing out loud. Probably because most things I do are false starts. I was just glad to see my insanity isn't unique to just me.  

"I invite you to join me on the journey toward becoming, rather than buying, better versions of ourselves."

I read it!  THAT IS IT!  How many times have I bought something that was going to be the thing that changed my life?  The leather briefcase, the Oxford dictionary, the piece of jewelry or item of clothing.  Buying for hobbies that never became hobbies, buying for projects that have never been completed.

Like the author, I bought what I needed to be a runner.  Am I a runner?  No.  But I ran when I was a kid and I didn't have all the props and accessories.

I have typewriters in my garage that were supposed to produce literature. 

Elite cookware?  Pots and pans don't make you a chef.

A new box of Swiffer refills in the cupboard doesn't transform your home.

The collection of these props is only putting off the actual work that needs to be done.

Honored Contributor

Now I have to go brew some tea before I see if the balloons are launching.  I finally bought something that actually does make a difference: OralB Pro-5000.  Let the stains begin.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

"I invite you to join me on the journey toward becoming, rather than buying, better versions of ourselves."

I read it!  THAT IS IT!  How many times have I bought something that was going to be the thing that changed my life?  The leather briefcase, the Oxford dictionary, the piece of jewelry or item of clothing.  Buying for hobbies that never became hobbies, buying for projects that have never been completed.

Like the author, I bought what I needed to be a runner.  Am I a runner?  No.  But I ran when I was a kid and I didn't have all the props and accessories.

The collection of these props is only putting off the actual work that needs to be done.

Lol, for sure.  I can't tell you how many things I read and am determined to change only to have it become a faint memory.  But this article gave me a giggle.  

Oh yea, the collection of props, lol.  I actually start to laugh when I think about them all.  At least I can laugh about it but what else am I gonna do - cry.  I can only stop myself from buying more. 

My goal now is to start use all the props I have or not, but if it's -or not- it has to go.  It is funny, as I am getting older, I want to manage nothing.

Honored Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Lol, for sure.  I can't tell you how many things I read and am determined to change only to have it become a faint memory.  But this article gave me a giggle.  

Oh yea, the collection of props, lol.  I actually start to laugh when I think about them all.  At least I can laugh about it but what else am I gonna do - cry.  I can only stop myself from buying more. 

My goal now is to start use all the props I have or not, but if it's -or not- it has to go.  It is funny, as I am getting older, I want to manage nothing.

YES.

Why didn't we know this thirty years ago?

Trusted Contributor

Hi All,

Where did September go? Nice to catch up with all on the October thread. @Oshare-girl Congrats on your new job!!! I wish you and your family the best!! And yay for you for getting rid of your palettes. You are an inspiration. Which ones if any did you keep? Hope you had fun at the beachhouse!! @just bee 7!!!! 7!!!! 7 showergels!!! AMAZING my friend!! Congrats!! I am so proud and inspired by you! It can be done!! I will get there one day! Hope your furbaby is feeling better. Loving your balloon pictures! Enjoy!! @aprilskies Thank you for posting the link to the article. It totally hit the nail on the head for me. Also, great idea about the snack bags, portion control is my downfall. Welcome to all the new compacters. I hope all are safe from the hurricane.

My family and I had a great time in August at Harry Potter World and  Disney. It was a wonderful vacation with memories I will treasure. September has been stressful but all in all a pretty decent month of compacting. Some planned purchases, and the biggest thing was a new mattress which was needed very badly. Amazing how if I added up all those needless purchases over the years I could of bought myself a mattress years ago. Still plugging along with showergel. And using up supersizes of things.

Off to post on the use it up thread, I havent posted on it for a couple of weeks. Then off to read a book. I have done a Goodreads book challenge for myself this year of 30 books. I'm on my 34 one of the year. I'm proud of myself for meeting this goal! I love to read and want to read even more this coming year.

May all of you have a wonderful day! Please realize how awesome and inspiring each and everyone of you are to me!!! Kathie

"Dogs heal hearts they never broke"
RIP Lexi aka "Momma" 1/15/24