Trusted Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- OCTOBER!

@just bee wrote:

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Wow, what happened to Sept?  I feel like it barely existed this year.  Maybe it's because I spent the month getting ready for my ultimate ComPacting act: I compacted my job of 16 years!  It had been in the works for awhile, but it finally happened.  Sept 30th was my last day in the office.  It was bittersweet, as I imagine it is for the majority of people who quit a long-time job.  I will miss the people, most of them anyway.  But I am so enjoying the new flexibility and freedom.  I am now "working" for my husband in his physical therapy clinic.  "Working" for love.  I am finally able to give my best to my family.  My kids are still young enough to benefit from this.  I had my time of giving my best to other people, and it was rewarding.  Now is a new season.

I love coming back to this thread and catching up with everyone.  You all motivate me to keep on keeping on.  Good job on the HEP and whittling down the body-wash-as-hand-soap stash!  I gotta admit that I took advantage of the drugstore.com going out of business sales in Sept.  Mostly on stuff I normally buy, just that I bought more of it than usual.  

I think I got down my minimal, no-makeup makeup.  We are going to a beachhouse with my inlaws this weekend and I am confident enough with that look.  No eye makeup except for mascara, a little concealer and lip balm.  Of course high SPF.  I'm really rethinking my pan that palette for future years.  I may just toss it all at the end of this year.  I'm finding that no one notices (AKA cares) if I wear eyeshadow.  And I'm getting tired of putting it on.

Oh shucks, I also purchased some Beautycounter for Target skincare.  I was really impressed with Beautycounter's CEO's philosophy about healthier products.  They have a collaboration going on with Target so I tried it and love it.  Eek!  It's more than I would normally spend but I'm willing if it works.  My skin has been changing and is much drier now so I've been searching for new products.  BC's cleansing balm has been so nice and moisturizing.  Anyway, I am still using up my existing products and we'll see if I continue on with BC.  I'm back and forth on "cleaner" beauty products.  Some days I just want the tried and true chemicals, but other days I'm convicted and want to go all out on the better-for-the-body stuff.  

Well, I am looking forward to giving the house a good cleaning, now that I have the time & energy.  And continuing with the HEP & ComPacting.  Thanks for always being there, friends!

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhh!!!!  How exciting is that?  I'm sick with jealousy!  What does that even feel like?

I'm awake because I have a class for work, then I have to come home and try to get some sleep before I start my work week tonight.  Ugh!

You have a whole new life now!  And time to get your house into shape.  That's spectacular!

Congrats!

Thanks, Bee!  I feel so light, but so guilty that I made my family wait this long for it.

You are such an amazing person.  Always bettering yourself & others.  I have been really inspired by you and really, this latest step was a result of the ComPact.  I didn't think it was possible, but it is.  

Took the dog for a little walk this morning.  He was crazy as usual.  He loves walking but is so excited that he gets the neighborhood dogs all riled up.  Maybe if we do this regularly he will settle down and make friends.

I started small and cleaned the bathroom sink & toilet.  I'll save the tub for another day, after the dog has a bath.  I also tackled the pile of mail.  I hate mail piles!

Did some HEP grocery shopping yesterday.  This morning I made some soft boiled eggs.  And they actually were soft boiled (instead of hard boiled) since I was able to watch them instead of trying to multitask.  Ah, the simple things....

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone!  Hope all are well and happy, pets included!

First off, big prayers are needed.  We have family on the east coast of Florida, and they are not evacuating!!!  I am so worried for them.

I don't have any empties to report, but I did toss two things.  1) A pore minimizer that I thought would keep pores clean.  It doesn't.  2) A tinted lip balm that I do not like.  Everytime I apply it, it looks like it is smeared on my lips.  Why did I hang onto it this long when I have other choices?

Once again, I have piles of papers to go through.  Five piles!!  Why did I not take care of each paper as it came in?  I just do not know.

As far as HEP goes, I have been eating foods that are really good for me - fruits, vegetables, fish, etc., but I have also been eating pounds of sugar!!!  Has anyone noticed that as you age it becomes more difficult to digest simple carbs and that they also make you feel sluggish and tired.  I am so drained.  Would anyone be interested in going sugar free for the rest of the month with me?  I could use the support because the more stress I feel, the more sugar I consume.  It is hard to tell myself no.

ComPact on!!

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

@dosey wrote:

First off, big prayers are needed.  We have family on the east coast of Florida, and they are not evacuating!!!  I am so worried for them.

I don't have any empties to report, but I did toss two things.  1) A pore minimizer that I thought would keep pores clean.  It doesn't.  2) A tinted lip balm that I do not like.  Everytime I apply it, it looks like it is smeared on my lips.  Why did I hang onto it this long when I have other choices?

Once again, I have piles of papers to go through.  Five piles!!  Why did I not take care of each paper as it came in?  I just do not know.

As far as HEP goes, I have been eating foods that are really good for me - fruits, vegetables, fish, etc., but I have also been eating pounds of sugar!!!  Has anyone noticed that as you age it becomes more difficult to digest simple carbs and that they also make you feel sluggish and tired.  I am so drained.  Would anyone be interested in going sugar free for the rest of the month with me?  I could use the support because the more stress I feel, the more sugar I consume.  It is hard to tell myself no.

ComPact on!!

@dosey I am not a regular here but I would be glad to join you! I, too, need a kick in the pants regarding my sugar indulgences and could use someone to hold me accountable. I hope your family in Florida stays safe.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

@dosey wrote:

ComPact on!!

@dosey I am not a regular here but I would be glad to join you! I, too, need a kick in the pants regarding my sugar indulgences and could use someone to hold me accountable. I hope your family in Florida stays safe.

Okay, so maybe I'm not a good person to commit to no sugar.  We had a potluck at work today and I caved--pathetic 😒!  I did go a whole month with no added or refined sugar this past year, so I know I can do it.  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

I am doing much better about buying too much makeup and skincare. But about six months ago I bought about six eyeshadows to make a palette from Bobbi Brown because I had two coupons in a few months from Gilt for $30 off an $80 order. I ordered them and did not like them. In fact, I ordered several lipsticks too that I had always liked before, but now I don't and I broke them on purpose and threw them away!  First I am older and my skin needs lighter colors. Bobbi Brown's colors are too muddy or bright for me--nothing in between so I should have sent them back, but no, what did I do? Put  them in my "stash" until I could not send them back anymore. I also threw the eyeshadow palette away. I had to do that to show myself what I was doing. I was buying for a face I no longer have. I need softer lighter colors.

Also, my lifestyle has changed. I am only 50, but I am not working like I used to. Since I took care of my dad while he had cancer until he died I have not wanted to go back to my profession of Museum Professional--for many reasons. I am the luckiest woman in the world because my husband makes a very good living and has allowed me not to go back to work, but to fulfill my dream of writing a novel--which I have!  I am now working on the final draft and next month I will be looking for an agent.

In addition, I just had my second back surgery and my health is not as perfect as before. I have to accept some limitations. Also, I am in perimenapause so for all these reasons that I am blabbering about I need to only buy clothes and makeup for the life I am leading now. I made a few expensive mistakes as I mentioned above. Now I need to stop it and pay attention and ask myself before I buy anymore makeup why I would need that. I only look good in rose pink blush and lip colors and taupe eyeshadow so, why would I buy anything else?

But all the Holiday products are so pretty! I have to be strong! That is why I have come back for some support from you all on the Compact Thread. Thanks for listening to my rambling post. 

Trusted Contributor

TGIF!  I am catching up on old posts from Sept.  Bee had asked about face washing.  I am in such an awkward skin phase.  I used to be oily, but am getting drier (a friend told me that everything dries out as we get older except the eyes, they tear more).  The products I used to buy were for oily skin.  Now I have to find products for drier skin.  I hate times like this, when I have to experiment.  That's when I end up with TOO MANY THINGS that don't work.  I have 4 moisturizers now that I am working through and 2 facial oils.  Oils take forever to finish since only a few drops are needed.  I've been combining the oils with the moisturizers to speed things along.  And back to face washing, I have a discontinued Bareminerals cleansing oil that I like but I still need to moisturize after using it.  Then I tried the Beautycounter for Target Cleansing Balm, which is literally, the bomb!  I don't need to moisturize after it.  But I have 4 moisturizers going at the moment so I am still forcing myself to use them.  Hm, maybe I will start to use them on my body....I only have 1 and a half body lotions, but I have decreased the amount of body lotion I use after Aprilskies mentioned that she only used lotion where she needed it instead of allover as per routine.  Sigh...I may have to force DH to use some products.  He needs it but can never remember to use them.  

I don't know how many times DH will have to tell me that I look younger with less makeup before I actually act on it.  Today we are headed to a beach house for the weekend so I have minimal makeup on.  No eyeshadow at all.  But I have so much eyeshadow!Woman Sad  That's why I usually have lots of eyeshadow on, to make use of what I have.  What am I going to do with it all if I stop wearing it?  I will take a couple of less used (and sanitized) palettes with me and maybe one of my sisters-in-law with take it.  My nieces also dance hula and could use the makeup for their performances.  I could also put it in the public bathroom at the office again (I did that last year and it went right away).  But these are the "good stuff" that survived the big purge and I had big pan-that-palette plans for.  It's so hard to part with them even though I haven't touched them in over a year.  Ack, I think I will have to bite the bullet and just do it.  I don't want to be stuck with them for the next 5 years.  I can't believe it's such a burden knowing that I have these palettes tucked away in my drawer.  Ok, my mind is made up and will be gifting at least half of my palettes now.  Thanks for letting me write out my thoughts to get to this decision.

As for HEP, @dosey, I totally can relate.  I feel like I have been consuming a lot of fresh fruits & veggies but at the same time, a good amount of sugar.  It's SO hard to not eat sugar.  It's everywhere and in everything, it seems.  I really try not to buy sugar-loaded stuff, but my dad goes to Safeway for their $5 Fridays and comes back with pastries, cakes, pies, cookies, chips, cases of soda which he "shares" with us.  He knows he can't eat all of it himself so he justifies it by giving half of it to us.  My mom tries to tell him that we don't want it but he's a gift-giver so it's useless to argue.  I stash it away for times when we have guests over but the pastries and cakes usually end up in the trash.  So I guess I am sort of joining the no-sugar gang.  I will try my best!

I went walking 3 times this week, twice with the dog who wiggled-wiggled-wiggled so much I had a hard time getting his leash on.  As soon as he sees me grab socks, he gets so excited because he thinks we are going walking.

Prayers for the east coast & @dosey's family.  That is one mean-looking hurricane.  Praying that it will blow itself out.

Trusted Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

@dosey wrote:

ComPact on!!

Okay, so maybe I'm not a good person to commit to no sugar.  We had a potluck at work today and I caved--pathetic 😒!  I did go a whole month with no added or refined sugar this past year, so I know I can do it.  

I blew it, also.  Today, someone brought in Starbucks.  Also, there was birthday cake.  I am super bloated!!  Tomorrow is a new day.

Paws and enjoy life.
Trusted Contributor

We have not been able to get in touch with our family in Florida.  I think the phone lines are jammed.  We will keep trying.

I forgot to mention that I received the Eve Pearl TSV and really like it.  The only problem is that I am a true light-medium.  I ordered the medium because I knew the light would be too light.  After using the EP foundation a few times, I find that I am using more of the 40% side (light) than the 60% side (medium), so this will not work for me.  Maybe EP will offer more shades.  Until then, I cancelled the auto-delivery.

Like many of you, I find that my complexion is changing.  It is becoming much drier, and many colors no longer work for me.  More reasons to not stock up.  If I wear a bright lip color, it must be sheer and not matte.  I have been using the Isomers Eye Duo.  After a few days, my eyes were not looking so good.  Then I remembered that this duo takes about two weeks before it starts to make a positive difference.  Finally, this morning I felt like my eyes were looking better.  So when I have used up the duo, I will take pictures of my bare eyes and compare them to the before pictures that I took after using a tube of CeraVe eye cream.  I am kind of excited to see if there will be a difference.

Well, I'll sign off.  I have to wake up early tomorrow.

Paws and enjoy life.
Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:
just bee...love your avatar!! 😍

Thanks!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Thanks, Bee!  I feel so light, but so guilty that I made my family wait this long for it.

You are such an amazing person.  Always bettering yourself & others.  I have been really inspired by you and really, this latest step was a result of the ComPact.  I didn't think it was possible, but it is.  

Took the dog for a little walk this morning.  He was crazy as usual.  He loves walking but is so excited that he gets the neighborhood dogs all riled up.  Maybe if we do this regularly he will settle down and make friends.

I started small and cleaned the bathroom sink & toilet.  I'll save the tub for another day, after the dog has a bath.  I also tackled the pile of mail.  I hate mail piles!

Did some HEP grocery shopping yesterday.  This morning I made some soft boiled eggs.  And they actually were soft boiled (instead of hard boiled) since I was able to watch them instead of trying to multitask.  Ah, the simple things....

Aww Shucks!

I think what makes the ComPact special is that it captures those feelings and thoughts that many of us have but make us think that we're off-kilter.  We're surrounded by more, more, more and we're thinking less, less, less.  We're torn, but then one day it becomes clear to us that we are doing what's right for us.  Something just clicks.

What you're doing now feels very right -- doesn't it?  And sometimes it's as simple as walking the dog or boiling an egg.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~