Honored Contributor

Re: ComPact 2016 -- OCTOBER!

[ Edited ]

@aprilskies wrote:

Alright, in light of my focus on HEP, I sat down tonight and created snack bags.  Giving up my snacks is a joke, so I portioned out a couple of things because my portion size is way off than reality.  Boy, was that eye opening.  I ended up with so many bags.  I can't even imagine how many calories I was eating at night.  I am thinking this will help with two things, 1.  Control my portions and 2. Help me curb my grocery spending. 

I even went for a short walk.  I am off to a good start. 

I'm jealous!  Because we're trying to keep our boy off his leg, the three of us aren't taking our long walks.  It's miserable!

Snacks are tricky because if you don't eat precisely what you're craving, you'll eat twenty other things and end up eating the thing you wanted in the first place.  But you're right -- portions are important.

Better-half will come home from the store with something special when he senses I'm due for a snack.  I can always expect a bag of white cheddar popcorn, but last week he came home with Klondike bars.

I don't buy ice cream very often because I'll consume most (or all) of a 14-ounce container.  A Klondike bar, on the other hand, has a beginning, a middle and an end.  It's just enough to satisfy a craving for ice cream.  I compared the nutritional information and a serving size for Häagen-Dazs is half a cup.  Who eats half a cup of ice cream?  Maybe on a slab of cake or pie, but certainly not by itself!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Alright, in light of my focus on HEP, I sat down tonight and created snack bags.  Giving up my snacks is a joke, so I portioned out a couple of things because my portion size is way off than reality.  Boy, was that eye opening.  I ended up with so many bags.  I can't even imagine how many calories I was eating at night.  I am thinking this will help with two things, 1.  Control my portions and 2. Help me curb my grocery spending. 

I'm jealous!  Because we're trying to keep our boy off his leg, the three of us aren't taking out long walks.  It's miserable!

Snacks are tricky because if you don't eat precisely what you're craving, you'll eat twenty other things and end up eating the thing you wanted in the first place.  But you're right -- portions are important.

Better-half will come home from the store with something special when he senses I'm due for a snack.  I can always expect a bag of white cheddar popcorn, but last week he came home with Klondike bars.

I don't buy ice cream very often because I'll consume most (or all) of a 14-ounce container.  A Klondike bar, on the other hand, has a beginning, a middle and an end.  It's just enough to satisfy a craving for ice cream.  I compared the nutritional information and a serving size for Häagen-Dazs is half a cup.  Who eats half a cup of ice cream?  Maybe on a slab of cake or pie, but certainly not by itself!

You had mentioned that you were taking him to the vet--did you get a diagnosis about what the leg problem might be?

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

I'm jealous!  Because we're trying to keep our boy off his leg, the three of us aren't taking out long walks.  It's miserable!

You had mentioned that you were taking him to the vet--did you get a diagnosis about what the leg problem might be?

Nope.  Got some pills, but he's still limping.  Better-half called and left a message for our vet.  He might have to go back in. 

This is a recurring issue.  He's an active dog and sometimes he'll limp -- but it clears up fast.  This time, not so much.  He really wants to go out and about, but we don't want to aggravate the problem.  We've been driving him to different parks so he can sniff.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@just bee wrote:

@aprilskies wrote:

Nope.  Got some pills, but he's still limping.  Better-half called and left a message for our vet.  He might have to go back in. 

This is a recurring issue.  He's an active dog and sometimes he'll limp -- but it clears up fast.  This time, not so much.  He really wants to go out and about, but we don't want to aggravate the problem.  We've been driving him to different parks so he can sniff.

I really hope your sweet pup is okay. Keeping my fingers crossed it something simple that can be taken care of. 

Honored Contributor

A cold front's moving in, so this will affect the Balloon Fiesta.  I'll post one of my favorite fiesta videos...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8YaMK4-MYg&spfreload=1

Trusted Contributor

Wow, what happened to Sept?  I feel like it barely existed this year.  Maybe it's because I spent the month getting ready for my ultimate ComPacting act: I compacted my job of 16 years!  It had been in the works for awhile, but it finally happened.  Sept 30th was my last day in the office.  It was bittersweet, as I imagine it is for the majority of people who quit a long-time job.  I will miss the people, most of them anyway.  But I am so enjoying the new flexibility and freedom.  I am now "working" for my husband in his physical therapy clinic.  "Working" for love.  I am finally able to give my best to my family.  My kids are still young enough to benefit from this.  I had my time of giving my best to other people, and it was rewarding.  Now is a new season.

I love coming back to this thread and catching up with everyone.  You all motivate me to keep on keeping on.  Good job on the HEP and whittling down the body-wash-as-hand-soap stash!  I gotta admit that I took advantage of the drugstore.com going out of business sales in Sept.  Mostly on stuff I normally buy, just that I bought more of it than usual.  

I think I got down my minimal, no-makeup makeup.  We are going to a beachhouse with my inlaws this weekend and I am confident enough with that look.  No eye makeup except for mascara, a little concealer and lip balm.  Of course high SPF.  I'm really rethinking my pan that palette for future years.  I may just toss it all at the end of this year.  I'm finding that no one notices (AKA cares) if I wear eyeshadow.  And I'm getting tired of putting it on.

Oh shucks, I also purchased some Beautycounter for Target skincare.  I was really impressed with Beautycounter's CEO's philosophy about healthier products.  They have a collaboration going on with Target so I tried it and love it.  Eek!  It's more than I would normally spend but I'm willing if it works.  My skin has been changing and is much drier now so I've been searching for new products.  BC's cleansing balm has been so nice and moisturizing.  Anyway, I am still using up my existing products and we'll see if I continue on with BC.  I'm back and forth on "cleaner" beauty products.  Some days I just want the tried and true chemicals, but other days I'm convicted and want to go all out on the better-for-the-body stuff.  

Well, I am looking forward to giving the house a good cleaning, now that I have the time & energy.  And continuing with the HEP & ComPacting.  Thanks for always being there, friends!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wonderful thread!! If anyone knows from watching YouTube videos posted from beauty guru's, Endless excessive amount of products more than a little disturbing. Recall seeing one such individual own over 300 blushes!!! Thought you can't be serious?!? Yes! She was. My makeup items are minimal, Reason OCD! Also survive of childhood abduction, Diagnosed with PTSD. Clutter makes me feel extreme anxiety. Recently purchased WEN during private access sale, Prices!! Bamboo Green Tea -BGT CC more items incredible special low prices. Because of this, Passed on TSV. Choose not purchasing any more Wen until use up what I have, Probably won't happen for good 8months. Easily happens, Get sucked in the voltrex of feverishly need more->No I don't. The same is true for any items. Some might be uncomfortable addressing. Thank you for bringing this up. You never know, Who you might help. 

Honored Contributor

@Oshare-girl wrote:

Wow, what happened to Sept?  I feel like it barely existed this year.  Maybe it's because I spent the month getting ready for my ultimate ComPacting act: I compacted my job of 16 years!  It had been in the works for awhile, but it finally happened.  Sept 30th was my last day in the office.  It was bittersweet, as I imagine it is for the majority of people who quit a long-time job.  I will miss the people, most of them anyway.  But I am so enjoying the new flexibility and freedom.  I am now "working" for my husband in his physical therapy clinic.  "Working" for love.  I am finally able to give my best to my family.  My kids are still young enough to benefit from this.  I had my time of giving my best to other people, and it was rewarding.  Now is a new season.

I love coming back to this thread and catching up with everyone.  You all motivate me to keep on keeping on.  Good job on the HEP and whittling down the body-wash-as-hand-soap stash!  I gotta admit that I took advantage of the drugstore.com going out of business sales in Sept.  Mostly on stuff I normally buy, just that I bought more of it than usual.  

I think I got down my minimal, no-makeup makeup.  We are going to a beachhouse with my inlaws this weekend and I am confident enough with that look.  No eye makeup except for mascara, a little concealer and lip balm.  Of course high SPF.  I'm really rethinking my pan that palette for future years.  I may just toss it all at the end of this year.  I'm finding that no one notices (AKA cares) if I wear eyeshadow.  And I'm getting tired of putting it on.

Oh shucks, I also purchased some Beautycounter for Target skincare.  I was really impressed with Beautycounter's CEO's philosophy about healthier products.  They have a collaboration going on with Target so I tried it and love it.  Eek!  It's more than I would normally spend but I'm willing if it works.  My skin has been changing and is much drier now so I've been searching for new products.  BC's cleansing balm has been so nice and moisturizing.  Anyway, I am still using up my existing products and we'll see if I continue on with BC.  I'm back and forth on "cleaner" beauty products.  Some days I just want the tried and true chemicals, but other days I'm convicted and want to go all out on the better-for-the-body stuff.  

Well, I am looking forward to giving the house a good cleaning, now that I have the time & energy.  And continuing with the HEP & ComPacting.  Thanks for always being there, friends!

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhh!!!!  How exciting is that?  I'm sick with jealousy!  What does that even feel like?

I'm awake because I have a class for work, then I have to come home and try to get some sleep before I start my work week tonight.  Ugh!

You have a whole new life now!  And time to get your house into shape.  That's spectacular!

Congrats!

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

Wonderful thread!! If anyone knows from watching YouTube videos posted from beauty guru's, Endless excessive amount of products more than a little disturbing. Recall seeing one such individual own over 300 blushes!!! Thought you can't be serious?!? Yes! She was. My makeup items are minimal, Reason OCD! Also survive of childhood abduction, Diagnosed with PTSD. Clutter makes me feel extreme anxiety. Recently purchased WEN during private access sale, Prices!! Bamboo Green Tea -BGT CC more items incredible special low prices. Because of this, Passed on TSV. Choose not purchasing any more Wen until use up what I have, Probably won't happen for good 8months. Easily happens, Get sucked in the voltrex of feverishly need more->No I don't. The same is true for any items. Some might be uncomfortable addressing. Thank you for bringing this up. You never know, Who you might help. 

Welcome!

This thread is like therapy for many of us because we can come here and analyze why we do what we do.  We'd be happy to have you join us!

How do you manage the clutter?  Sometimes I just want to give away everything so I don't have to waste another minute thinking about it.  I feel like I'm carrying it around with me.

Honored Contributor

just bee...love your avatar!! 😍